What's new

Mac Studio & Studio Display (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe not new stock but plenty of them out there if you are motivated to get one.
I thought you were hinting at fresh rumors for a 27"+ iMac refresh coming this year.

I don't care about Mac Pro or Intel macs. No more 5K iMac remains a frustration.

(And obvi not buying a 2020 Intel iMac in 2024 as a new computer.)

Last edited:

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I thought you were hinting at fresh rumors for a 27"+ iMac refresh coming this year.

I don't care about Mac Pro or Intel macs. No more 5K iMac remains a frustration.

(And obvi not buying a 2020 Intel iMac in 2024 as a new computer.)
If you bundle
  • a M2 Pro Mini (build to order), or M2 Max Studio (build to order)
  • a 27" 5K Apple Cinema Display
  • an Apple Magic Keyboard
  • an Apple Magic Mouse
that basically covers what you would expect from a 27" Apple Silicon 5K Retina iMac line. In all respects but two:
  • the portability of an all-in-one unit
  • the price

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you bundle
  • an Apple Magic Mouse
that basically covers what you would expect from a 27" Apple Silicon 5K Retina iMac line. In all respects but two:
  • the price

Was the old 27" iMac actually portable? I can't imagine all that much so... but I suppose it might be barely considered that way by a (extremely) rare few, especially given perceived (by me) Apple fanboy prefs, LOL... ;):P

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you bundle
  • an Apple Magic Mouse
  • the price
It's the value that made the iMac so appealing to me. Its price was well under the cost of buying a mac mini and a separate LG (or now Studio Display). And previously the mac mini's were lesser or even terrible values.

Maybe the rumored and hoped for 30" iMac won't be priced for non-pro users, more at parity of a Mac mini plus studio display.

In which case, I might get the 24" iMac and adapt to the smaller screen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Unfortunately, rumors for a 30” iMac have gone dry. From MacRumors, the latest rumors for an iMac are a refreshed 24” iMac with an m3 next year.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to say, if I was in the market, I might be looking at refurb M1 Studios. The base model M1 Max is $1,529 and the base model M1 Ultra is $2,879.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Going with a mini, esp a refurb, and a non-Apple non-5K monitor can bring the price down a lot. But this 27" 5K monitor is so nice, I don't like the idea of losing it for a Dell 4K or non-retina UWD.

iMac owners are in the situation MacBook Air owners were at prior to this month: you could buy a 13" Air or spend an extra $1000 to get a 16" MBP if really wanted a larger Apple laptop screen. But there wasn't a "value" option in between.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sheesh. She needs to look up the definition of “obsolete”.
Uhm…

:)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sheesh. She needs to look up the definition of “obsolete”.

Uhm…

:)

Uhm... one can never be sure about such anymore... as one can always trust what one finds on these interwebs afterall, LOL! ;):P:D

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Uhm... one can never be sure about such anymore... as one can always trust what one finds on these interwebs afterall, LOL! ;):P:D

_Man_
I think it's clear in context. The opening and closing comments are explicit that that the reviewer views the new model as indistiguishable in all respects including performance from the prior model in practical terms and the prior model is not actually obsolete.
There is a new Mac Studio. It looks almost exactly like last year’s Mac Studio — so similar, in fact, that I have had to put Post-it notes on the two units we have in our office in order to tell them apart.

I love machines that make it easier for people to do their jobs. Upgrading to this machine could give busy professionals a good chunk of their day back (those halved export times will add up if you’re exporting all day, every day) and could potentially make business sense. Still, it’s quite a cost, and I ultimately see this machine less as a temptation for M1 Ultra owners (outside of the most deep-pocketed companies) and more for those who are still hanging on to old Mac Pro configurations. Those were a large investment, but every ounce of extra performance the Studio can provide may bring that crowd closer to jumping on Apple’s silicon train.

And also I regularly read The Verge and listen to their podcast and as a whole, including Monica Chin (their computer reviewer) they're a snarky, sarcastic, ironic bunch.

But I see how this might read as a sincere straight line, especially if giving it quick skim and also unfamiliar with their computer review style.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The simple fact is, online "experts" thrive on absurd hyperbole. When the M2 Macs came out, most of them lost their minds when they discovered the 256GB SSDs are slower than the 512GB, which are slower than the 1TB. They completely ignored (more likely didn't even know, or care to point out) that the "slowest" of these drives is as fast, if not faster than any drives on the Intel based models. Someone here even condemned them for "cheaping out" when, in fact, the 256GB SSD in the M2 Mini has read/write speeds of more than 2,000MB/s... and the base M2 minis is $100 less than the base M1 models. Just a few years ago having an SSD with 2,000MB/s reads/writes was almost inconceivable, but now it's supposedly a rip-off.

So... yeah... when one of them offhandedly called the M1 Studio "obsolete" I presumed they meant it. Because 98% of online "experts" would absolutely mean it.

How about we move on?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
How about we move on?
Out with the old:
IMG_1277.jpeg

In with the new!
IMG_1279.jpeg

edit: no, I don’t play a lick of music, why do you ask?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Out with the old:
View attachment 188592

In with the new!
View attachment 188593
edit: no, I don’t play a lick of music, why do you ask?
It's funny. I listen to music too much, really, but I don't listen to it in my home office. I don't want to spend more time there than I have to. At work, there's music everywhere, all the time, but at home, music is for sitting and attently enjoying.

BTW, you must have a cat or a rather small dog.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I tried VueScan: keeps crashing, never did even acknowledge that the scanner was attached -- something macOS clearly did see. So, useless. Back to square one, which is presumably buying a new scanner....
I ended up trading scanners with my mom -- my ancient Epson works fine on her old iMac, her slightly less ancient Epson works fine on my Mac Studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks