What's new

Lost in Space on Netflix (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've seen this series twice now. I'm still blown away by how good the dialogue is. And I learned something. Sometimes these writers are so good with their dialogue, they skip values and go straight from action to being.

One of my favorite exchanges is between Maureen and Penny in episode 3:

Maureen: Your dad thinks I expect too much of you kids sometimes. Do you?

Penny: Um, no. I don’t think you expect too much from us. I just think sometimes, maybe, you expect too little from dad.

It's great to see a believably broken family that still loves one another, still talks to one another, still listens to one another, and puts their priorities on helping each other to become better people. It's one of the things that makes this show so rewatchable to me.

I especially appreciate the suggestion that just because my family is broken doesn't mean that I have to be broken.

I'm going in for the third time....confident more treasures await to be discovered with these wonderful Robinsons.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks Alan, that is very nice of you to say. :). If I get a chance to see Lost In Space, I’ll certainly come back.
You're very welcome. If you've never had Netflix before, or even if it's been a while, you should be able to get a free month. Really hope you can watch it. From the things I have seen that interest you, I think you'd like it.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I enjoyed this all the way untl the last two episodes, which I didn't enjoy nearly as much. But, I guess it setup the premise.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
You absolutely can. The show has completely embraced that. But if the formula works, that's not a bad thing.

I agree, to a certain extent. However, I'm not sure this version of Lost in Space is the best version of the show. I wrote a longer comment elsewhere--I think it was the Designated Survivor thread--where I said one of the things *I* use when considering a show's relative overall quality is whether it's the best version of itself it could be. All too often it's a network holding a show back. Network shows, in general, have to have a certain amount of accessibility to them. Even one of the best network shows of the last few years, Person of Interest, had to include about five minutes of exposition and recap per episode, seemingly just to make sure viewers weren't lost.

Similarly, network shows typically feature likeable casts that don't challenge too many tropes (unless, of course, that's the central conceit of the show). NCIS has one of the most fun, agreeable casts I've ever seen. I really, really, like those characters. I like those actors. I no longer watch the show partly because Michael Weatherly left. But let's not kid ourselves: those characters are basically designed in a board room to be unoffensive and accessible. Some are quirky, but not too quirky. Some are hard asses, but not too much. It's fine. It allows for perfectly good network quality episodes season after season.

Network writing is the same way. Most of the writing on network TV is simply serviceable. It communicates the general idea, moves the plot forward, but doesn't do much else. The best network writing (Aaron Sorkin on The West Wing) will probably never be heard again. The talent has left for greener pastures, because subscription/cable TV doesn't have to do what network TV has to do.

Enter so-called prestige television (almost all of which is on subscription or cable networks). When a show is on Netflix or Amazon or Hulu or HBO or Starz or USA, it generally has freedom (sometimes approaching complete freedom once greenlit) to tell the story it wants to tell in the manner it wants to be told. Most, if not all, faults ought to be attributed to the creative team (in the same way that all accolades flow to them as well). Again, not every show needs to Legion or Twin Peaks or Westworld or The Leftovers. But shows should be the best version possible because they have the freedom to be the best version possible. If they aren't, I think it's fair take notice and point them out.

I found the writing on Lost in Space, to single out one aspect among many, to be clunky, simplistic, twee, and much (much) too earnest. I'm not surprised, given that the main writing team was the team behind Gods of Egypt and the recent Power Rangers reboot. And to be frank, I'm not buying "family adventure drama" as a sufficient justification for the writing's quality. The recent DuckTales reboot is directed squarely at two groups: kids, and adults who were kids when the original first aired. I thought the writing (and storytelling, which is different) to be uniformly excellent. Similarly, NBC's Timeless, which is admittedly aimed at a slightly older audience (let's say PG-13, mostly because of the "sex," I guess), is a network show running in a similar adventure lane, albeit without the family aspect, with better writing.

In the end, I just wish the show was...better. It's not the best version it could be, and, sadly, I don't think it is trying to be.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's definitely fair enough. One of the reasons "Designated Survivor" frustrated me so (before I eventually dropped it) was because the gap between what it was and what it could be was so great.

I mostly really appreciated the writing here. Mainly because the hook for me was a family drama with science fiction trappings, and I thought the family dynamics were really well-rendered. When the show picks up the story, this is a broken family. But, as Alan said, the show is really well attuned to the love they have for each other, the conversations they have with each other, and the ways they support one another in some really trying circumstances. There is a wonderful specificity to the relationship between Judy and Penny, for instance. There's a tension there, and they insult each other constantly over the course of the ten episodes, but the way Taylor Russell and Mina Sundwall play those interactions the insults are expressions of solidarity and love. And then, later on, when Will has just caused the robot to cripple itself, Penny's getting ready to sneak off with her new boyfriend but when she sees how he's struggling she sets her own plans aside to cheer him up. I quickly found myself invested in the ways this family was fractured, and the ways they try to bridge the gaps that have piled up between them. Even when they're furious at one another, they sacrifice for one another.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I found the writing on Lost in Space, to single out one aspect among many, to be clunky, simplistic, twee, and much (much) too earnest.
Twee? I had to look that one up.

Excessively or affectedly quaint, pretty, or sentimental.
‘although the film's a bit twee, it's watchable’

I learn something every day. But I still like the show.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
“Twee” appears to be an exclusively British word almost completely unfamiliar to citizens of North America.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've watched two episodes. So far it has been rather dull and drawn out. It is like they are trying too hard to distance the show from its origin show.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I don't know if it's safe or not to discuss plot points here yet. everyone will be watching at a different pace. I'm three episodes in, and Alan is watching the season for the third time. Others I'm sure have yet to watch any.

I experienced my first negative reaction at the conclusion of episode three. I found Will's reaction to the offering from the Robot to be an "out of character" moment. I feel he would have gone to one of his parents with the discovery. Not keep it hidden. Other than that, I'm really impressed with the show so far.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I found Will's reaction to the offering from the Robot to be an "out of character" moment. I feel he would have gone to one of his parents with the discovery. Not keep it hidden.
Yeah, I agree. This is one of those character decisions made for the sake of drama.

I think your vieled reference was ok, but IMHO, for specific references, spoilers should still be used.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Spoiler--don't read if you haven't watched the series yet.

Funny the gun was brought up because I have a lot to say about it. First, the reason I assumed Will didn't go to his parents is because he didn't want them to know what the robot did. I would have hid the gun if I was in his position in that culture. Look at how guns are treated on the show. They're shunned. No one carries a gun. Professor Robinson doesn't wear a gun. He will take on a dinosaur with a knife before he will strap on a gun. So what Will does makes perfect sense to me.

This show is remarkable to me for a lot of reasons, but one of them is that it operates on different levels. There's symbolism in the action, enforced in the dialogue, and bolstered yet again in the subtext. That's how the big boys do it, which is why I am delighted these writers did it on a Netflix family show. A machine (the robot) uses a machine (the digital printer) to create a machine (the gun). That machine is then used in an attempt to destroy another machine (the robot). This is not accidental; the pattern of symbology is further reinforced, as good writers do, on another level: Will Robinson and his reaction to machines. He sees the robot as good. He sees the gun as bad. Yet intrinsically neither one is either of those things.

I am not going to say this show is brilliant. But it is extremely thoughtful. The more I respect the show, and realize that it has a lot to offer, the more thoughtful it becomes. On many levels.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Look at how guns are treated on the show. They're shunned. No one carries a gun. Professor Robinson doesn't wear a gun.
I believe the culture he was raised in would make Will want to dispose of it properly. Not being comfortable with it would make him more nervous about hiding it. The parents seem pretty open and trusting of the children. I don't see any big consequences in turning it over. And the Dad was trying to manufacture one himself. He would like to know how it was done, considering he couldn't override the safety protocols.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I believe the culture he was raised in would make Will want to dispose of it properly. Not being comfortable with it would make him more nervous about hiding it. The parents seem pretty open and trusting of the children. I don't see any big consequences in turning it over. And the Dad was trying to manufacture one himself. He would like to know how it was done, considering he couldn't override the safety protocols.
That's a good point. I think if Will had just found it lying around, he might have done exactly that. But because the robot made it, and the baggage that came with that, was the sticking point for me. But I can understand where you're coming from. Even if he was afraid of what might happen to the robot if he told his parents the robot made it and offered it to him, Will still could have disposed of it another way (and Smith still could have seen it). Hiding it anywhere in the ship seemed a stretch, but he is just a scared kid at times.

Speaking of hiding something, how do I hide text for spoilers?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Speaking of LOST IN SPACE weapons, I am currently building a season two laser pistol from the original series. It's full size, which is huge. Cast from resin. I bought my house nine years ago and I am finally putting my workshop to good use.

DSC06786 (2).JPG

The shot below might look good from a distance, but I still have tons of detailing work--and a silver paint job to finish. What you see now is primer.

20180406-173858.JPG

I guess these props had to be so huge or the audience couldn't see them. Anyway, I've wanted one of these since I was nine years old. A few more weeks of work and it looks like I shall have one. Wish me luck. I've never tried to build anything like this before and am lucky a friend is helping me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks