What's new

Lost in Space on Netflix (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've only seen a third of the series so far. But from what has been presented on screen, you can speculate that since there is a military presence on the Resolute, that weapons are likely some part of the expedition. But access is limited and the individual Jupiter ships are not permitted to manufacture them and other items. Certain individuals would be able to do so for common self defense of the colony. But not the general population.
A policy that the fifth episode showed made no sense.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, everyone knows with absolute certainty that NO other circumstances they could POSSIBLY find themselves in WITHOUT the robot could EVER conceivably be dangerous.
That's what makes this show even greater--and more inspirational. These characters are worth telling a story about because these characters don't live in that kind of fear; they aren't controlled by that kind of fear, and don't lead lives that require the trappings of that kind of fear.

This show argues that living without that kind of fear is the highest form of freedom. My hat is off to these writers for the multi-layered vision they put on the screen.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
That's what makes this show even greater--and more inspirational. These characters are worth telling a story about because these characters don't live in fear
Yes, they exhibited no fear whatsoever when confronted by two huge beasts threatening to kill them. Their lives meant nothing to them.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
One thing I learned is never to repeat myself unless it's going to make a difference, so I'll let you have the last word about this specific topic in the show. :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The show depicts ships packed with all SORTS of supplies for survival on an alien planet, but apparently packing weapons for unknown contingencies was beyond the comprehension of these people. Amazing.

A "nonlinear narrative" doesn't excuse plot holes. You can't for example, watch the fifth episode and think "it's irrelevant whether the appearance of the robot was set up by an earlier episode".
You are used to weapons being required in outer space because you’ve been taught that by most fictional movies. To my knowledge, no weapon has been included on a US space mission. I don’t recall any weapons in 2001. The chances of encountering life in outer space is very negligible. But like Carabimero, that’s my 2 cents and I’ll leave it at that.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You are used to weapons being required in outer space because you’ve been taught that by most fictional movies. To my knowledge, no weapon has been included on a US space mission. I don’t recall any weapons in 2001. The chances of encountering life in outer space is very negligible. But like Carabimero, that’s my 2 cents and I’ll leave it at that.
Comparing US space missions or 2001 with the situation being discussed makes no sense. You're in essence saying that the intent was to colonize a planet utterly devoid of life. It obviously wasn't. We're talking about colonization of an alien planet with very considerable biota of its own, which isn't remotely the same situation as those you mentioned. To assume that any such planet couldn't possibly have dangers requiring weapons to defend against is little short of insane, as insane as assuming medical knowledge isn't needed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Comparing US space missions or 2001 with the situation being discussed makes no sense. You're in essence saying that the intent was to colonize a planet utterly devoid of life. It obviously wasn't. We're talking about colonization of an alien planet with very considerable biota of its own, which isn't remotely the same situation as those you mentioned. To assume that any such planet couldn't possibly have dangers requiring weapons to defend against is little short of insane, as insane as assuming medical knowledge isn't needed.
But we aren't. The Alpha Centauri colony planet they were headed to was devoid of life, until earlier colony missions brought it from Earth. It was a complete accident that they ended up on the planet featured in the first season. Presumably the earliest colony missions were well-armed to address any unexpected threats, but by mission 24 they had a pretty good idea of what they could expect upon arrival.

But the robot's attack on the Resolute first jumped them trillions of lightyears from their intended path, and then forced them into the landing ships -- essentially used as escape pods -- down to the surface of the nearest planetary body. It was only sheer luck that it happened to have an oxygen rich atmosphere.

Given the classified nature of humanity's prior encounter with the civilization the robot came from, I can easily believe that the potential threat wasn't disclosed even to the leadership of colony mission 24.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
But we aren't. The Alpha Centauri colony planet they were headed to was devoid of life, until earlier colony missions brought it from Earth. It was a complete accident that they ended up on the planet featured in the first season. Presumably the earliest colony

But the robot's attack on the Resolute first jumped them trillions of lightyears from their intended path, and then forced them into the landing ships -- essentially used as escape pods -- down to the surface of the nearest planetary body. It was only sheer luck that it happened to have an oxygen rich atmosphere.
Once it was established that the planet they were actually on had loads of its own biota, it made perfect sense to abandon the no weapons policy. Unfortunately, they weren't interested in life saving sense.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Once it was established that the planet they were actually on had loads of its own biota, it made perfect sense to abandon the no weapons policy.
I agree. But the authorization to utilize lethal weapon designs in the 3D printer rested with the Resolute, and they'd lost the ability to communicate with the Resolute. The robot was able to override this, but presumably the humans were not.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I agree. But the authorization to utilize lethal weapon designs in the 3D printer rested with the Resolute, and they'd lost the ability to communicate with the Resolute. The robot was able to override this, but presumably the humans were not.
This IMO is why Will hid the gun and didn't tell his parents. The robot is his best friend. And the robot broke the law.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
There was no reason not to find out if the robot could make more weapons. Of course, such an idea would be verboten.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There was no reason not to find out if the robot could make more weapons. Of course, such an idea would be verboten.
No offense, but have you watched the show? No one knew the robot did it (except Will and Dr. Smith--and they had good reasons for keeping quiet) until much later. And by the time the secret came out, the robot wasn't exactly in a position to offer his services to the Robinsons or the expedition.

Last edited:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
No one knew the robot did it (except Will and Dr. Smith.
That is precisely the point. Will KNEW. In a rational world, this would be a welcome bit of news to his father, who had attempted to do the same thing (but was chided by Ms. "no guns" for his attempt). And obviously I watched the show.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'll let someone else address your points from here on in. Expecting a frightened boy to react like a rational adult is beyond the pale to me. But then again, I'm not trying to find fault with everything or be contrary for its own sake.

Methinks there is a troll lost in space... :)

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You say guns I say po-ta-toe. Why don't return to our regularly scheduled programming?
Right! Let's stop the back and forth as you guys have stated your position so lets move on.

Since I'm done watching The Looming Tower, I'm going to begin watching this series this weekend.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just finished Season One and I thought it was *terrific*!

The production values were outstanding and the cast was incredibly good. The mysteries surrounding the Robot were maintained all the way through the last episode.

Three observations:

* I hated “Dr Smith” with a *passion*. — So Posey obviously did her job well. (Still can’t get over what she did to her own sister!)

* The Tar Pit —- I really didn’t think there was any way out of that one!

* Jeopardize the lives of hundreds to try to save one man? Really???

Best line: “So we essentialy spent the night in an Alien Toilet!”

Looking forward to Season Two!

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A smarter Maureen might have been able to avoid the problems in the final episode.

The major problem was keeping Dr. Smith from messing things up. They did an admirable job of trapping her in the living pod. But she managed to escape.

With a little ingenuity, that could have been prevented, and the final journey to the Resolute (including rescuing John and Don) would have gone without a hitch.

If the Robinsons had put on their suits and made the air in the rest of the ship unbreathable, the Robot would have kept Dr. Smith in the Pod. It was his duty to keep her 'safe'. He wouldn't have pounded on the glass, he wouldn't have let her open the emergency door. Any attempt by her to leave would have, in his mind, put her at risk.

The Robinsons in their space suits would have been able to go about their business unhindered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks