What's new

Lost in Space on Netflix (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
You have me wanting to get Netflix just to see this program! Well, you and a few others. That there are several comments that it's better than the New Trek series (which I don't particularly care for) makes it even more attractive. Up until now I've had absolutely no interest in Netflix so that's saying something...

You should be able to get your first month of Netflix for free.

The new Star Trek show is rookie ball compared to this. Granted the new Star Trek show is more spectacular, and has great breathtaking reversals, but the cost is too high IMO.

When an actor asks a director, "Why is my character doing (or saying) this," then the script has problems, even if it just happens once, because it's a symptom of a bigger disease. The hardest thing about fixing a script is figuring out what the actual root problem is. An unmotivated line of dialogue is usually a mere symptom of a much deeper problem buried somewhere in the structure. Many story doctors make the mistake of trying to fix the symptoms of problems, rewriting only at the surface level, and it rarely works. According to someone I know who was there, "Why is my character doing this?" came out of the mouths of a lot of actors all through the filming of STD. And from what I could see on the screen, the story doctors tried to cure the symptoms, not the disease.

I'll be watching this LIS series years from now, when STD is a distant memory. If the Star Trek name wasn't on that show, I question whether it would have been renewed (or even created in the first place). IMO it got renewed on its legacy and fan base. With LIS, it's nice to see ten episodes in a row where there aren't stupid characters doing stupid things in order to generate spectacular action, action that tastes like great popcorn, all buttered and salted going down, but ultimately leaves me unsatisfied at the end. Everybody--and I mean everybody--I talked to at the time felt exactly that way after watching the concluding episode of STD.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just finished the last episode. A very enjoyable ride; definitely the best executed show targeted toward a broad family audience in a long, long time.

A lot of it was predictable, but that's because the show didn't cheat. It established the stakes, and then played them out honestly. And it's refreshing to have a show about a family where every single member is a decent human being who tries to do right by the others. Almost without fail, the mistakes the Robinsons make are in service of a selfless goal. There is very little they do that is for self-gratification.

And they got some top notch directors: Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent), Deborah Chow (The High Cost of Living, "Mr. Robot"), Vincenzo Natali (Cube, Splice), Stephen Surjik (Wayne's World 2, "Person of Interest"), and David Nutter (Game of Thrones, basically every other pilot for the last quarter century). All doing effective, un-showy work.

My one complaint is that "Dr. Smith" should have been one and done. The cat is out of the bag with her, so the only reason to keep her around is because she creates drama and unnecessary problems for the other characters. I'd much rather the next season (if there is one) tell a pure Martian-style man vs. environment story.

A couple fun photos:
LostInSpace_2018_S01_015.jpg

Left: Ignacio Serricchio (2018 Don West)
Right: Mark Goddard (1965 Don West)

LostInSpace_2018_S01_016.jpg

Left: Angela Cartwright (1965 Penny Robinson)
Right: Mina Sundwall (2018 Penny Robinson)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My one complaint is that "Dr. Smith" should have been one and done. The cat is out of the bag with her, so the only reason to keep her around is because she creates drama and unnecessary problems for the other characters. I'd much rather the next season (if there is one) tell a pure Martian-style man vs. environment story.
The show has some credit with me, so I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt until it drops the ball with respect to Dr. Smith. The thing I like about the trickster archetype is that it's impossible to get rid of it because just when you think you've flushed it out the airlock, it pops up again.

The more I listen to the soundtrack, the better it is. It has real cinematic power.

Last edited:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Man, I was the OP for this thread, and I was so looking forward to this, but after one episode, I’m out. I get the idea of disbelief suspension, but this show far exceeded my ability to do so. This was like an entire episode of Leia Poppins scenes from TLJ strung together.

There was virtually nothing about this that I enjoyed. I disliked the characters, the plot, the flashbacks....I even struggled with dialog intelligibility.

The fact that I even missed Billy Mumy’s cameo was just icing on the cake. :)

General Netflix question, since I never use Netflix: Is it SOP that they dump all episodes of a new show at once? I am glad I did not like the show, because I don’t binge watch but enjoy the online discussion that follows new programs when they air weekly. But with all 10 episodes posted, one can’t really do that without tripping all over spoilers.

Oh well, carry on folks. The good news for me is Westworld is back next week. Interesting contrast for me in that I went into Westworld loving the movie and expecting to hate the reboot, but the opposite happened. I loved LIS as a kid, and expected to love the reboot, but sadly, it just didn’t not work for me on any level.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
You should be able to get your first month of Netflix for free.

The new Star Trek show is rookie ball compared to this. Granted the new Star Trek show is more spectacular, and has great breathtaking reversals, but the cost is too high IMO.

When an actor asks a director, "Why is my character doing (or saying) this," then the script has problems, even if it just happens once, because it's a symptom of a bigger disease. The hardest thing about fixing a script is figuring out what the actual root problem is. An unmotivated line of dialogue is usually a mere symptom of a much deeper problem buried somewhere in the structure. Many story doctors make the mistake of trying to fix the symptoms of problems, rewriting only at the surface level, and it rarely works. According to someone I know who was there, "Why is my character doing this?" came out of the mouths of a lot of actors all through the filming of STD. And from what I could see on the screen, the story doctors tried to cure the symptoms, not the disease.

I'll be watching this LIS series years from now, when STD is a distant memory. If the Star Trek name wasn't on that show, I question whether it would have been renewed (or even created in the first place). IMO it got renewed on its legacy and fan base. With LIS, it's nice to see ten episodes in a row where there aren't stupid characters doing stupid things in order to generate spectacular action, action that tastes like great popcorn, all buttered and salted going down, but ultimately leaves me unsatisfied at the end. Everybody--and I mean everybody--I talked to at the time felt exactly that way after watching the concluding episode of STD.

Needless to say, I have almost the complete opposite opinion.

Lost in Space is absolutely average. No risks taken: safe in every aspect from the casting to the directing and especially the writing (even the music, which by far the best part of the show, is safe). Maureen Ryan, in her Variety review, wrote that a "better title for 'Lost in Space' would be 'Mired in Mediocrity." I agree. Alan Sepinwall (Uproxx and "What's Alan Watching") says "there's just not enough there in the story or characters that feels distinctive or compelling to keep going" and that "the first half was too generic to keep going." I agree with those thoughts, too (though I did keep going to the end).

Perhaps most scathing of all, the AV Club's review calls Lost in Space "elementary."

Almost every action taken by every character is stupid. Worst of all, you see those stupid actions coming from a kilometre away. The show relies an on almost-constant string of "holy cow, how will they make it?" scenarios (they make it). Yet, it's exhausting not because of adrenaline, but because of the ponderous pacing the show with which the show somehow manages to treat its action. I didn't think it was possible to have boring action sequences, but here we are.

Adam described the directing as "effective, un-showy work," and I think that's fair. But I say the directing was un-showy because there was nothing much to show.

A lot of the members are comparing this (unfavourably) to Discovery, which is interesting to me since Discovery has been nominated for both a Hugo and a Peabody and Lost in Space will likely never be nominated for any major award whatsoever (except maybe music). My thoughts on Discovery are well-established in that show's thread, so I won't retread my thoughts, except to say my personal familiarity with the Disco writer's room does not accord with Alan's.

Instead, I'll suggest comparing Lost in Space to other recent standouts in the sci-fi/fantasy realm: Legion, The Expanse, Mr. Robot, and Westworld. Those are four shows that--from top to bottom--showcase creative team at the top of their game. You want interesting and inventive storytelling? Legion. You want political intrigue coupled with hard science fiction? The Expanse. If you want a great example of a human story with a sci-fi tinge, I would offer The Leftovers. Almost every frame of Legion and Westworld could be printed as art. Legion takes more risks in one episode that Lost in Space did in an entire season. For adventure drama, look no further than Toby Stephen's own Black Sails (which was also gorgeously shot and lit, with the best naval battle sequences ever, small or large screen).

You can almost see Lost in Space's (bland) formula.

Look, I'm not saying everything needs to be a "gritty reboot." I understand that not everything can be Legion-esque, Twin Peaks-esque 60-minute mind screws (man that would be exhausting). Not every show is high art, I get that. Lost in Space is supposed to be a rollicking, adventure, family show. I think it largely succeeds in being just that. I liked it (despite my criticisms). But the show is nowhere close the level of its genre competitors.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The show relies an on almost-constant string of "holy cow, how will they make it?" scenarios (they make it).

For me, that’s it in a nutshell.

After we finished EP1, I commented to my wife that the show was nothing but a string of unbelievable scenes, made possible by unbelievable actions taken by the characters, where impending doom was unavoidable, but of course it wasn’t.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I've only watched the first episode so far, but my opinion is much more in line with Caribimero than the last few posters.

When the lake started to freeze I was expecting a last second escape. A dramatic way to show that all the supplies were lost, with little suspense. I was pleasantly surprised by what happened instead.

I thought the flashbacks worked well to establish the family dynamic.

I hadn't seen the original series since I was a kid so I hadn't remembered much about the robot. So its presence in the Dr. Smith setup (great to see one half of Barnes & Barnes) was very intriguing.

I'm all in so far. I want to binge, but I also want it to last. So ill probably watch one episode every couple of days.

What I haven't seen mentioned much is how spectacular this looks. Netflixs marvel shows were all presented in Dolby Vision and had nice color and detail, but also an almost artificial graininess to them. They were kind of off somehow. LIS looks perfect. It is probably the best looking show or film I have streamed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Almost every action taken by every character is stupid.
I don't get this criticism at all. The characters make reckless decisions at times, but they rarely made stupid decisions. Even with their interactions with "Dr. Smith", their behavior made sense given the knowledge that they had available. I thought "Star Trek: Discovery" was far guiltier when it comes to characters doing stupid things because the plot requires it -- especially in the back half of the season.

The one objectively stupid decision was Judy sacrificing most of their fuel in an attempt to save one man's life. But given what we knew about her, and given how young and inexperienced she is, I believed that that was the decision she'd make.

The show relies an on almost-constant string of "holy cow, how will they make it?" scenarios (they make it).
This is the show's concept in a nutshell. They're not going to kill off any of the Robinsons (nor would I want them to), so the tension comes from the how and the when of them making it, not whether they're going to make it. The imminent possibility of death as a dramatic device has lost a lot of its appeal for me in recent years; big surprising deaths pretty much only work for me now when they generate more story going forward rather than less.

Instead, I'll suggest comparing Lost in Space to other recent standouts in the sci-fi/fantasy realm: Legion, The Expanse, Mr. Robot, and Westworld. Those are four shows that--from top to bottom--showcase creative team at the top of their game. You want interesting and inventive storytelling? Legion. You want political intrigue coupled with hard science fiction? The Expanse. If you want a great example of a human story with a sci-fi tinge, I would offer The Leftovers. Almost every frame of Legion and Westworld could be printed as art. Legion takes more risks in one episode that Lost in Space did in an entire season. For adventure drama, look no further than Toby Stephen's own Black Sails (which was also gorgeously shot and lit, with the best naval battle sequences ever, small or large screen).
I haven't watched "The Expanse" yet, so I can't speak to that one, but I definitely agree that the other three shows you mentioned are far more sophisticated both in the technical areas and in the writing than this show. But those shows are also tailored to a very specific, very adult audience.

Despite the occasional profanity, this is very much a broadly-targeted family show (TV-PG). When I'm grading this show, my point of comparison is other broadly-targeted family shows, like "Terra Nova". And this show, for me, compares very favorably in that context.

You can almost see Lost in Space's (bland) formula.
You absolutely can. The show has completely embraced that. But if the formula works, that's not a bad thing.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It seems it’s so true, the line about different strokes for different folks, and it’s really showing up here. :)

It’s very interesting to me to read what Alan is saying. Alan from his posts, has said he’s is in the entertainment industry in Hollywood working for a studio, or had worked for a studio, and I think I know which. As a Star Trek fan myself for many decades going back to the 70’s, I will of course support any new Star Trek series efforts and I think Alan does too as he is a fan. I’m not picking on you Alan, it’s just that I am seeing such a contrast here. The majority of the posts for LiS reboot have been ok to mediocre as characters are doing stupid stuff, but on the most part, it’s a fun family orientated show. No risk taking was something I also saw about the new show. I’ve not seen it yet and I’m not sure when or how. So I cannot make any comments. Alan has been the opposite in reaction.

I have watched Star Trek Discovery of course. It was definitely taking some risks and doing things I did not expect, so it wasn’t predictable. I didn’t read or watch what fans were doing as they were able to see clues for things about characters, so I was usually surprised. I know Alan you were less then happy with Discovery. It will be interesting that now they got the first season of unexpected and un-Starfleet acts out of the way, if the new season will be more like Star Trek.

But back to my reaction reading this thread, it’s interesting how the people are reacting to the series verse Star Trek Discovery. Alan is really loving the new Lost in Space but wasn’t satisfied with Discovery. When the time comes and opportunity, I might give Lost In Space a try and see for myself. I agree Discovery has done some odd stuff and spent an entire season showing one character doing one act that affected the course of history and then be redeemed. History we’ve never seen or heard about before in the Prime Star Trek universe. From here, I’m not sure what they do, but I hope it’s more like Star Trek, but some of that edge that had going.

I can see that Lost In Space would focus on family, that’s the core element of the original show. But it’s also interesting and from what I see, disappointing that Smith is continued to be made someone that is causing drama.

Hope you’ll excuse my more Star Trek oriented post.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have watched Star Trek Discovery of course. It was definitely taking some risks and doing things I did not expect, so it wasn’t predictable.
It's easy to take risks when you don't play fair with the audience. Anybody can do that. An elementary school writing student can do that. In STD the risks they seem to take aren't really risks at all because they don't play fair with the audience. The writers run so fast through the wet paint that they hope no one will notice. By the end of the last episode, fans started to notice.

But it’s also interesting and from what I see,
disappointing that Smith is continued to be made someone that is causing drama.
I'm not going to criticize any show for something they haven't done yet, based solely on a suggestion at the end that there's a potential for it next season. The writers were no less than masterful keeping Dr. Smith autonomous in season one while making that autonomy completely credible. They've earned the benefit of the doubt from me that if they choose to do so, they can do the same thing again in season two.

The majority of the posts for LiS reboot have been ok to mediocre as characters are doing stupid stuff,
If someone has offered a specific example of a character in LIS doing something stupid, I haven't seen it. If they're arguing that they are often doing something predictable, I won't disagree. If someone is drowning, it's predictable that someone will jump in and try to save them, but it's not stupid.

Hope you’ll excuse my more Star Trek oriented post.
As they say in court, the other side "opened the door." :)

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Most of TV is predictable. The magic in a popular show is presenting likable characters the viewer wants to spend time with. I like this version of the Robinson family. I want to spend time watching how they keep supporting each other and take selfless acts out of love and concern. The family is not dysfunctional at all in my opinion. The marriage has failed, but the parents work together out of love for the children. And, as expected, are learning to trust one another again because of the new situation. This is not new, shocking or ground breaking sci-fi. I'm OK with that. I'd watch these characters if this was a western and they were stranded on the prairie.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Most of TV is predictable. The magic in a popular show is presenting likable characters the viewer wants to spend time with. I like this version of the Robinson family. I want to spend time watching how they keep supporting each other and take selfless acts out of love and concern. The family is not dysfunctional at all in my opinion. The marriage has failed, but the parents work together out of love for the children. And, as expected, are learning to trust one another again because of the new situation. This is not new, shocking or ground breaking sci-fi. I'm OK with that. I'd watch these characters if this was a western and they were stranded on the prairie.
I agree. I prefer to go the LIS route and not pretend to take risks rather than ultimately bullshitting my audience. It's not much of a risk to walk a tightrope when you have a safety net. STD simply kept that net out of view of the audience. But it was there, waiting to be unfurled occasionally, and then finally sprung in its full glory in the season finale. STD was not new, shocking or groundbreaking SF. It didn't take risks, either. Michael's mutiny would have qualified as a big-time risk, but the writers cowardly hit the reset button at the end and nullified it. And that's only one example of how STD tried to pretend it was something it is not. Wanna talk predictability? One has only to read the STD thread to see that *every* plot twist was predicted ahead of time. To me it was just as predictable--if not more so--than LIS. The proof is right there in the thread.

LIS may get criticized for being predictable, but at least it has integrity. And I hope that takes it far, because integrity is a rare quality on TV these days. That's why my hat if off to these writers. They have it.

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I'm four episodes in and am enjoying it. I don't think it's really necessary to look down on Star Trek: Discovery to share the joys of this new show. It's absolutely possible to have thoroughly enjoyed the new Star Trek AND this new version of Lost in Space.

I reject wholeheartedly that the finale of STD renders the shock of Burnham's mutiny as nullified, but I should really argue that in the other thread :).

I like the mostly family-friendly, modern and very well produced Lost In Space. Safe and predictable or not, its a show that I'll be able to watch with my son in a few years and not worry too much. The new STD will need to wait a few more years (and that's okay too).

I agree about Christopher Lennertz's score. I have the CD pre-ordered already and found it's 'traditional' and cinematic approach to be very welcome. I think that more unapologetically orchestral scores are making a real comeback on TV and in film and that's always to be celebrated.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I reject wholeheartedly that the finale of STD renders the shock of Burnham's mutiny as nullified, but I should really argue that in the other thread :).
I didn't mean to say it nullified the shock of it, just the risk. But the outcome at the end renders the shock as ultimately cheap, IMO.

I agree about Christopher Lennertz's score. I have the CD pre-ordered already and found it's 'traditional' and cinematic approach to be very welcome. I think that more unapologetically orchestral scores are making a real comeback on TV and in film and that's always to be celebrated.
I was weak. I couldn't wait. I had to buy the download. And preorder the CD. It's so good.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I don't think it's really necessary to look down on Star Trek: Discovery to share the joys of this new show. It's absolutely possible to have thoroughly enjoyed the new Star Trek AND this new version of Lost in Space.
Justifiable or not, Star Trek has become the benchmark for many on television sci-fi. Especially for shows that reinvent themselves. Any comparison is to be expected. I think that both shows can be enjoyed for what they are now, just as they were in the 60's. I don't want every TV show to copy each other. Diversity is good. Some will be drawn to certain types of shows over others. I think this forum in general is very good at allowing opinions that can be used for viewers to invest their time and money wisely on the entertainment they will enjoy. I appreciate any comments that are made with a point of view in mind, Even when they vary from my own.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I contributed to the Star Trek Talk which is part of the diversion. I’ll leave by saying that I agree with the posts that we can all enjoy each show for what they are.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Sorry I contributed to the Star Trek Talk which is part of the diversion. I’ll leave by saying that I agree with the posts that we can all enjoy each show for what they are.
I hope you don't leave, or at least you come back after seeing Lost in Space. In my experience, threads are always more interesting because of your thoughtful, detailed posts.

I don't think it's really necessary to look down on Star Trek: Discovery to share the joys of this new show. It's absolutely possible to have thoroughly enjoyed the new Star Trek AND this new version of Lost in Space.
My intention was only to respond to the question of whether STD took risks and LIS did not, and also to respond to the fallacy that STD wasn't predictable while LIS was.

There is much to like about STD; IMO episode 14 was one of the finest hours of ST ever produced. As for LIS, as I said in an earlier post, my joy in watching it is enough in itself. And as I am four episodes away from seeing the entire series twice now, I stand by that joy--and its source. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks