What's new

Netflix Obliterated (14 Viewers)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
New series just dropped on Netflix. I viewed episode one a little while ago and enjoyed its brashness. One description I read on the Internet likened the series to The Hangover meets Mission Impossible. It is essentially a very broad and raunchy action / comedy thriller. Surprisingly a lot (and I do mean a lot) of nudity in episode one.

The setting for episode one is Las Vegas and the party which dominates a lot of episode one reinforces The Hangover comparisons. Probably not for some folks, but I liked the combination of an elite tactical team getting their freak on. C. Thomas Howell is an interesting addition to the cast and we see quite a bit of him (if you know what I mean, and I think you do.)

The entire eight episode season one is available on Netflix and I think I am on board for the entirety.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
More of the same in episode two. Just completely outrageous and out of control. Some pretty big laughs in episode two and a drug-induced hallucination that comes completely out of left field. (Who thinks up this stuff? :) )

Another comparison I thought of for this series was the film The Losers. The team dynamic feels somewhat similar; and while I enjoyed that film it would have been much more effective with an R rating. This series is much, much more extreme vs. that film.

It looks like the jeopardy established in episode one will be carried through the entire season one. Our intrepid team needs to track down a suitcase Nuke on U.S. soil.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A couple more days and a couple more episodes. Looks like it is running essentially in "real time" with the eight episode season one arc taking place in roughly the same time, over the period of one night in Las Vegas.

There were some pretty serviceable action elements in episode three and we are back to more craziness. Novel use of a massive 'glow stick' dildo to light a darkened mining area. :) Also, a brief, but nice Rambo homage in episode four.

The show continues to be batshit crazy.

- Walter.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I thought C. Thomas Howell was hilarious in episode 1. "Whose got one thumb and just saved Las Vegas"

The rest of the episode was just okay, I don't mind hard R comedy, as long as it's funny. Unfortunately for me, aside from Howell's Haggerty, the outrageousness struck me more as they did it because it's Netflix and they can get away with it than that it was particularly inspired.

The second episode fell a little flat for me. And while the above referenced drug trip initially made me laugh, the character quickly devolved into making cheap, crude comments about Paul's wife.

And again in episode two C. Thomas Howell was really funny and fearless. He only really had one gag though, in the strip club, but it did make me laugh.

I'll probably keep watching. It's not horrible by any stretch, and it's got a great premise, I just wish it had been executed a little better. But then, humor is so subjective, your mileage may vary.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Finished the series earlier today. I enjoyed it as a guilty pleasure. The tone is established in episode one and for the most part remains consistent through the series. Some episodes delve into action a bit more than comedy. I found myself enjoying some of the more unpredictable turns the plot made and the overall outrageous nature of the series.

I tend to make comparisons to other works and another one that comes to mind is Team America: World Police in terms of lampooning action movie tropes. There was a fun homage to Popeye in the final episode, which had me laughing.

It was fun enough and I could see myself watching a second season if it was renewed.

- Walter.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I enjoyed this series. Had a few slow moments but that’s gonna happen. I’d happily watch another season.

Did anyone catch the limo driver cameo in the last ep?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks