What's new

Current Streaming TV programs on DVD? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I'm not subscribing to all the streaming services going on. I don't want to get Disney +, Netflix, or HBO Max. But I really wish some of their series would come out on DVD. The first season of Lost in Space came out on DVD, but the second and third season did not. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, What If? Hawkeye, and others still haven't come out? On the other hand, the kids show Animaniacs and Star Trek: Lower Decks have been released on DVD. The streaming services probably want to keep the series for their services, but can't they throw the non streaming fans a bone every now and then. Can any fans out there fathom some guesses on why some programs come out and others don't?

==jthree

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it’s just a matter of different services/companies having different goals and approaches.

Disney, for instance, is really only interested in doing Big Things. They don’t make low budget movies or shows and they’re not particularly interested in small returns. TV on DVD is the absolute worst selling category of physical media and I just don’t think they feel it’s worth putting the effort into creating a physical release that will only sell a marginal amount of copies. They have concluded that their programming is more valuable to them as exclusives that will drive subscriptions on their service. That is probably especially true of their interconnected Marvel offerings. When their next Captain America film eventually comes out, fans will want to revisit The Falcon and the Winter Soldier show, which will encourage fans who let their subscriptions lapse to resubscribe. Each new Marvel film or show, by virtue of being connected to previous films and shows, acts to enhance the value of the older material in a way that’s pretty unique.

Paramount, on the other hand, has a longer history of catering to more niche markets with their Star Trek products and they have decided that there is value in selling a few hundred or a few thousand copies of a disc version.

Netflix is a little bit of both - some of the shows they air are licensed to them, but they don’t own or fully control the rights. In those instances, the rights holder might be more willing to create a disc because they’re benefitting from both a Netflix licensing fee and disc sales. For shows Netflix wholly owns, their attitudes are more aligned with Disney’s.

There was a time when a disc release of a popular show could generate tens of millions of dollars in additional revenue for the studio, but those days are long gone. Nowadays it’s more like tens of thousands of dollars as a best case scenario. If they could make as much as they used to with discs, they’d still be making them.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
In the case of Disney and the Marvel shows, keep in mind that in the pre-Disney+ days, they started releasing the Marvel shows on DVD and BD, and then stopped. So...

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S1 and S2 were released; S3 was released as an Amazon exclusive; S4, S5, & S6 were only released outside the US; S7 was not released at all.

Agent Carter S1 was released as an Amazon exclusive; S2 was only released outside the US.

Daredevil S1 & S2 were released; S3 was not.
The first seasons of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist were released; the other seasons were not.
The Punisher was not released at all on physical media. Neither were the non-streaming shows Cloak & Dagger and The Runaways.

Lost in Space probably fell victim to the Disney indifference to physical media after their acquisition of Fox.

The plain fact is that the release on physical media of streaming shows is fairly rare. A major exception is Warner, who still seems interested in releasing a number of their shows, streaming or not, on physical media. Even if many of them get a BD release only through Warner Archive.

That's life. Hell, I'm irritated by the fact that a lot of shows are released on DVD, but not BD. I refuse to buy a show made for HD (and especially 4K) on DVD.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
In the case of Disney and the Marvel shows, keep in mind that in the pre-Disney+ days, they started releasing the Marvel shows on DVD and BD, and then stopped. So...

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S1 and S2 were released; S3 was released as an Amazon exclusive; S4, S5, & S6 were only released outside the US; S7 was not released at all.

Agent Carter S1 was released as an Amazon exclusive; S2 was only released outside the US.

Daredevil S1 & S2 were released; S3 was not.
The first seasons of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist were released; the other seasons were not.
The Punisher was not released at all on physical media. Neither were the non-streaming shows Cloak & Dagger and The Runaways.

Lost in Space probably fell victim to the Disney indifference to physical media after their acquisition of Fox.

The plain fact is that the release on physical media of streaming shows is fairly rare. A major exception is Warner, who still seems interested in releasing a number of their shows, streaming or not, on physical media. Even if many of them get a BD release only through Warner Archive.

That's life. Hell, I'm irritated by the fact that a lot of shows are released on DVD, but not BD. I refuse to buy a show made for HD (and especially 4K) on DVD.
Note season 2 of agents of shield was the Amazon exclusive and last season produced on physical media in the US. Also, Lost In Space was Netflix (which still seems to have the same indifference as Disney if there are no other companies involved).
I also want to add that while Netflix used to try more with physical media (Stranger Things, Grace And Frankie, Orange Is the New Black,…) it seems like they have given up. The only consistent physical media release that I’ve noticed on their shows is The Crown, which seems to be making enough money and Sony is connected to it. I could be wrong, especially since I don’t do streaming, but that’s just what I’ve noticed.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Note season 2 of agents of shield was the Amazon exclusive and last season produced on physical media in the US. Also, Lost In Space was Netflix (which still seems to have the same indifference as Disney if there are no other companies involved).
I also want to add that while Netflix used to try more with physical media (Stranger Things, Grace And Frankie, Orange Is the New Black,…) it seems like they have given up. The only consistent physical media release that I’ve noticed on their shows is The Crown, which seems to be making enough money and Sony is connected to it. I could be wrong, especially since I don’t do streaming, but that’s just what I’ve noticed.
Netflix was the streamer, but Legendary was the production company, and Fox released the disc. Netflix wasn't even mentioned anywhere on the package.

What gets released on disc is typically up to the releasing studio or production company. Which is why the Netflix Marvel series had started getting physical releases by Disney. And Orange Is the New Black was released on disc because it was Lionsgate's decision (as was Narcos). And it was Sony's decision to release House of Cards on disc.

Thanks for the correction regarding S.H.I.E.L.D. I was going purely by memory, as I have the British releases of the first 5 seasons. S6 was released only in Japan, and apparently, so was S7. I'll have to see about getting those two.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
Netflix was the streamer, but Legendary was the production company, and Fox released the disc. Netflix wasn't even mentioned anywhere on the package.

What gets released on disc is typically up to the releasing studio or production company. Which is why the Netflix Marvel series had started getting physical releases by Disney. And Orange Is the New Black was released on disc because it was Lionsgate's decision (as was Narcos). And it was Sony's decision to release House of Cards on disc.

Thanks for the correction regarding S.H.I.E.L.D. I was going purely by memory, as I have the British releases of the first 5 seasons. S6 was released only in Japan, and apparently, so was S7. I'll have to see about getting those two.
Thanks for the clarification. I’d forgotten how many different companies had shows on Netflix until they made their own companies.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I think it’s just a matter of different services/companies having different goals and approaches.

Disney, for instance, is really only interested in doing Big Things. They don’t make low budget movies or shows and they’re not particularly interested in small returns.
In general yes, but I have to say Disney produces a fair amount of low budget sitcom crap for kids - Jessie, Raven's Home, Sydney to the Max, etc. And there's some very chintzy animation on some of Disney channel cartoons as well.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am hoping that Sony Will release all seasons of Cobra Kai on DVD even though it is on Netflix as I do not intend to keep Netflix forever. So far they have released the first 3 and I expect a season 4 release based on some of the things said by the show writers. However, a lot of the shows they produce are not things I want to pay for and when Cobra kai ends, I'll Cancel

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Guys, I'm not subscribing to all the streaming services going on. I don't want to get Disney +, Netflix, or HBO Max. But I really wish some of their series would come out on DVD. The first season of Lost in Space came out on DVD, but the second and third season did not. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, What If? Hawkeye, and others still haven't come out? On the other hand, the kids show Animaniacs and Star Trek: Lower Decks have been released on DVD. The streaming services probably want to keep the series for their services, but can't they throw the non streaming fans a bone every now and then. Can any fans out there fathom some guesses on why some programs come out and others don't?

==jthree
It's all about MONEY. If they don't sell well on the first season. The other seasons will not show up on DVD. Unless some
off-the-wall place picks them up. When the rights are in the can. If you talking about the Old Lost in space. All three seasons are out on DVD. I even have the complete series on Blu-Ray.

Last edited:

sfyalek

Agent
Real Name
Yalek

==jthree
If you are only interested in the US major shows and movies, you properly be able to wait for the BD release. As the sales of BD is declining, the wait time will get longer and fewer, particularly for the Independent movies.
The best of streaming service is not the convenience, it gives us plenty opportunities to expose to terrific non-English speaking movies and series. Those shows will never be released in DVD or BD in the US.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Shadowhunters was never released at all,either is A million little things,and The bold type seasosn 3-5,was not released due to low sales of their first two years,American housewife also never been released.while freeform tv shows such Recovery road,Beyond,Guilt,Dead of Summer has never been released.but there's no switched at birth has only got volume one,but not the complete seasons sets.maybe there's a possibilty.for these current television hits,that's stands the test of time.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In general yes, but I have to say Disney produces a fair amount of low budget sitcom crap for kids - Jessie, Raven's Home, Sydney to the Max, etc. And there's some very chintzy animation on some of Disney channel cartoons as well.
I am 100% Anti Disney due to this they bought 20th century Fox and they now appear to be just letting it sit there and collect dust. They used to release the ESPN 30 for 30 docs on DVD and they quit doing that. I’m done with them

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I am 100% Anti Disney due to this they bought 20th century Fox and they now appear to be just letting it sit there and collect dust. They used to release the ESPN 30 for 30 docs on DVD and they quit doing that. I’m done with them
Disney is being very selfish with their television shows,when they brought 20th century fox in 2020,then disaster strikes,when they were in each other's throats.they used to release disney movies,and now not much since.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
The Kids Are Alright,has yet to see a tsod release.either is Siren,another freeform television series was never released,and
Alone Together was sadly never released.sadly,they aren't that many current television shows on tsod.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks