What's new

LG OLED surround audio HDMI ARC issue and not passing 5.1 audio with streaming devices?? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, it didn't seem that hard to me. I guess other people's mileage varies
I was being facetious, I'm sure I would figure it out if I didn't have Roku and Apple units. However, I have those units so I have no motivation to figure out my audio issues using just my LG OLED displays.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If it works for you then it works for you. The TV apps work for me because it saved me having to spend 300 bucks on a device to do what my TV can already do with a bit of setup.

People can pick whatever method they want; however, I don't see the reason to make something sound more difficult than it is.

On a lot of older sets an external box becomes a necessity thanks to the incremental obsolescence practiced by manufacturers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If it works for you then it works for you. The TV apps work for me because it saved me having to spend 300 bucks on a device to do what my TV can already do with a bit of setup.

People can pick whatever method they want; however, I don't see the reason to make something sound more difficult than it is.

On a lot of older sets an external box becomes a necessity thanks to the incremental obsolescence practiced by manufacturers.
This is my last word as this is getting monotonous going back and forth. You're happy streaming with your LG then that's fine with me.

Despite my audio issues with my LG OLED, I have sampled some movie titles and they look better streaming from my ATV4K unit then if I stream them from Vudu or Amazon apps on my LG.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
“300 bucks” is a straw man argument against.

Brand new AppleTV 4K, best set top box on the market, is $180. Catch it during a holiday sale or get a refurbished but still warrantied model from Apple and it’s $150. And that’s the top of the line product in the marketplace.

The cheaper versions of Roku are closer to $40, the top of the line is close to $80.

I’m not saying that’s completely insignificant and everyone is of course free to do what makes sense to their budget, but spending $200 tops to dramatically improve the performance of a top of the line TV? That seems like a no-brainer to me. Never mind connectivity issues or expandability issues or planned obsolescence issues. Just focusing on the here and now. If I open up the same app on my AppleTV box and the same app on my TV itself and play the same video and the same resolution, the AppleTV looks demonstrably better.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The ARC connection on my 2017 LG passes the most commonly used audio codecs, including ATMOS, as long as the app supports it. Disney+ only supports DD while NETFLiX supports ATMOS. I have not seen if DTS:X is supported as I have not seen any films on Netflix coded in it.
Which model do you have? I have the 65e6p and it does NOT stream Atmos.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I also think the apps are easy to use on the LG. I just don’t because it doesn’t support Atmos.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On prime and Netflix the setting has to be on pcm. If not the audio is messed up / garballed
I've never heard of that. That should never happen. Which model receiver do you have? Are the hdmi cables old?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...and the reason I suggest a dedicated streaming device is because I've never heard a person going from TV apps to a streaming device who didn't say "I wish I'd done this sooner." Everyone I've seen has had the same comments you see here. That they just work better, faster, smoother, their software is updated, and they produce visibly better results.

Plus they eliminate the whole ARC quagmire. Some people don't have trouble with ARC, but most do.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Which model do you have? I have the 65e6p and it does NOT stream Atmos.

65B7P. Manufacturing date - May 2017

My receiver is a Yamaha Aventage A 3010.

It recognizes ATMOS and DD+ from Netflix's stream, unless Netflix is getting their flags wrong.

Disney+ only comes across as DD.

Anyway, it is not like I'm saying to use the TV apps. I just didn't have a problem with using them. Maybe I just got lucky with the stuff I chose because, generally, I had no issue with setting up and using them.

I did say that older sets may require use of an external box thanks to the incremental obsolescence that modern TV sets suffer from.

I mean now there is eARC which renders all older sets obsolete for any advantages that that incremental improvement may deliver. (Shrug)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
65B7P. Manufacturing date - May 2017

My receiver is a Yamaha Aventage A 3010.

It recognizes ATMOS and DD+ from Netflix's stream, unless Netflix is getting their flags wrong.

Disney+ only comes across as DD.

Anyway, it is not like I'm saying to use the TV apps. I just didn't have a problem with using them. Maybe I just got lucky with the stuff I chose because, generally, I had no issue with setting up and using them.

I did say that older sets may require use of an external box thanks to the incremental obsolescence that modern TV sets suffer from.

I mean now there is eARC which renders all older sets obsolete for any advantages that that incremental improvement may deliver. (Shrug)
Not 3D right?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not 3D right?

No. I had the 2016 model with 3D, but the screen started to bubble underneath the glass. It was like pulling teeth without anesthetic to get LG to replace it. By the time they capitulated I had to replace it with a 2017 model: no 3D support. The 3D on their OLEDs was the only reason I replaced my plasma with one if their OLEDs in the first place.

“300 bucks” is a straw man argument against.

Brand new AppleTV 4K, best set top box on the market, is $180. Catch it during a holiday sale or get a refurbished but still warrantied model from Apple and it’s $150. And that’s the top of the line product in the marketplace.

I'm in Canada. A4KTV box at Best Buy is 250 dollars. Add GST and PST of 12% plus eco fees and the price is going to be near 300 dollars.

Anyway, I wasn't arguing against the use of a box. I was just saying the TV apps were not that hard to use, at least in my case. In my case, I saved a few dollars by trying the apps first. That's all.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've never heard of that. That should never happen. Which model receiver do you have? Are the hdmi cables old?

i replaced the hdmi cable with a high speed hdmi cable.

my receiver is the denon avr-2112CI

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Giving this a bump.

did some more work and research last night.

i am getting stereo sound only with streaming via the lg despite this:

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/solutions/tv/netflix-51

is it possible I have a receiver setting issue?

my UHd Blu Ray player is working fine. The player is set to pcm. When I set the player to auto for audio I don’t get any sound. Separate issue or non issue?
I also tried streaming Netflix on the lg Blu Ray player. Again I only get 2 channel stereo?

I tried to review my denon 2112ic receiver settings as well. For the lg Blu Ray player, I am using hdmi 2 for audio to the receiver. The hdmi 1 is going direct to the tv as my receiver is not 4k.

I feel like a lot of issues are created / resolved with the arc and simlink features. At times when it is enabled sound doesn’t work properly or it changes the input setting on me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ARC can be so twitchy. Have you tried just using an optical audio cable from the TV to the receiver?

Regarding the UHD player having to be set to PCM, it might be the hdmi cable... just a guess.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
ARC can be so twitchy. Have you tried just using an optical audio cable from the TV to the receiver?

Regarding the UHD player having to be set to PCM, it might be the hdmi cable... just a guess.

I can switch back to optical and test it.

I replaced all the hdmi cable with high speed ones recently.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Do you have the "HDMI control" turned on in your receiver (page 89 of your manual)? It is required to be on if you want to use ARC. The cable from the TV to the receiver has to be plugged into the TV HDMI connector that supports ARC if you want to send sound from the TV to the receiver. On the LG OLEDs, I believe HDMI 2 is the ARC compatible connection. I'm assuming other LG sets use the same convention.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Also, the cable coming from the ARC connection of the TV needs to be plugged into the ARC compatible connection on the receiver. On your 2112ci that appears to be one of the HDMI outputs.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Do you have the "HDMI control" turned on in your receiver (page 89 of your manual)? It is required to be on if you want to use ARC. The cable from the TV to the receiver has to be plugged into the TV HDMI connector that supports ARC if you want to send sound from the TV to the receiver. On the LG OLEDs, I believe HDMI 2 is the ARC compatible connection. I'm assuming other LG sets use the same convention.
This is the most common reason folks have trouble. You should also make sure all your firmware is updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks