What's new

LG OLED surround audio HDMI ARC issue and not passing 5.1 audio with streaming devices?? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I have an LG OLED 65 inch TV. It is the OLED 65B7 a model. I am having an issue with streaming services and audio.
The first issue involves the use of HDMI ARC. When Enabled my television eventually times out from the Internet and I am forced to disable HDMIARC before it will allow me to Re-connect to my Wi-Fi.
My second issue involves streaming services and getting surround sound to work. I have a 5.1 surround sound system using a Denon receiver. I’ve looked for information on whether it is possible to do surroundsound using the streaming services on the LG TV. I’ve also looked in the settings but I have not been able to resolve this issue.Is it possible to have surroundsound using Amazon prime, Netflix, Disney+ using the app through the TV versus an external connecting streaming device?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I've been able to pass 5.1 through ARC on my E7 OLED. You just have to configure your TV to output all audio that way.

I've never seen the wifi issue you've described before. Have you upgraded the firmware and contacted LG support?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A lot of people here just feel it's better and much easier to use an external streaming device connected to your receiver, rather than streaming apps in the TV. They're better made and firmware is updated more often. There are inexpensive ones from Roku and Amazon Fire TV, and the Apple TV 4K is the premium, with a matching price tag. It just seems to work better that way and you eliminate potential ARC issues, since it's connected to your receiver.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
A lot of people here just feel it's better and much easier to use an external streaming device connected to your receiver, rather than streaming apps in the TV. They're better made and firmware is updated more often. There are inexpensive ones from Roku and Amazon Fire TV, and the Apple TV 4K is the premium, with a matching price tag. It just seems to work better that way and you eliminate potential ARC issues, since it's connected to your receiver.

I agree with this. I use ARC in my living room since I don't have need for anything more advanced and this room only gets occasional use. That said, I use an AppleTV 4K in my main system and it works very well.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've been able to pass 5.1 through ARC on my E7 OLED. You just have to configure your TV to output all audio that way.

I've never seen the wifi issue you've described before. Have you upgraded the firmware and contacted LG support?

I believe I have the correct settings.
I have sent a request to lg as well.

Attachments

• 959E2746-4F71-4CEB-883C-50614D3E7948.jpeg
    959E2746-4F71-4CEB-883C-50614D3E7948.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,912

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On the Digital Sound setting, what are the other options? Is one of them "Bitstream"?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
PLII isn't really surround. It's two channel that's being decoded into a low grade surround, but if the particular thing you're watching is only two channel, then that's what you'll get. A lot of stuff should show up, probably, as Dolby Digital, which can be up to actual 5.1. One of the other options might be better.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Also, sometimes hdmi-CEC causes problems. If stuff continues to be weird, you might turn that to "Off".

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Also, sometimes hdmi-CEC causes problems. If stuff continues to be weird, you might turn that to "Off".

understood. The simplink hdmi Cec setting has to stay on otherwise I lose the audio altogether. I just tested this again

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
On prime the setting has to be on pcm. If not the audio is messed up / garballed

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
On prime and Netflix the setting has to be on pcm. If not the audio is messed up / garballed

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Honestly, give up on the hassles of "Smart" TVs and get a streaming device. You won't regret it. People seem to be very happy with their Rokus. I have three Apple TVs, and they're just worth the cost.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The ARC connection on my 2017 LG passes the most commonly used audio codecs, including ATMOS, as long as the app supports it. Disney+ only supports DD while NETFLiX supports ATMOS. I have not seen if DTS:X is supported as I have not seen any films on Netflix coded in it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Honestly, give up on the hassles of "Smart" TVs and get a streaming device. You won't regret it. People seem to be very happy with their Rokus. I have three Apple TVs, and they're just worth the cost.

100%.

I know it’s kind of a bummer answer because one of the selling points of these TVs is their smart capabilities, but in terms of setup, getting playback in the proper audio formats, and picture quality, my AppleTV beats out every TV or disc player built in app that I’ve ever used, and it’s not even close.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have three smart TVs and I never stream from them. I stream from my Roku and my preferred ATV4K units.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just preferred doing so for units design to do so.

Which is.perfectly fine. It is just some comments are making it sound like it is a major pain to use streaming apps on smart.TVs. it isn't. At least on LG's OLEDs.

I'm using the Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime apps and they were not difficult to set up and use.The PQ is stellar, all three support DV and sound quality over the ARC port is very good. The biggest draw back is Disney+ does not support ATMOS, but I expect that will be fixed in a future update.

If a person prefers to use an external box then more power to them. However, if someone wants to save a few bucks then the TV apps are more than capable and not that difficult to use.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which is.perfectly fine. It is just some comments are making it sound like it is a major pain to use streaming apps on smart.TVs. it isn't. At least on LG's OLEDs.

I'm using the Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime apps and they were not difficult to set up and use.The PQ is stellar, all three support DV and sound quality over the ARC port is very good. The biggest draw back is Disney+ does not support ATMOS, but I expect that will be fixed in a future update.

If a person prefers to use an external box then more power to them. However, if someone wants to save a few bucks then the TV apps are more than capable and not that difficult to use.
It was to me, maybe, I'm just dense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks