1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Legion - FX Network/Marvel

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sean Bryan, Jul 24, 2016.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, the act where it turned into a silent movie with title cards and Jemaine Clement physically playing notes of music was amazing.

2. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I am glad I started watching this but it is wacky and really hard to follow, I think I love it ... However, I am unable to explain this series to friends in a way that makes them want to watch. I am afraid that it is just way too confusing for most people to make it past the first episode. I am hoping that after the season finale next week, it will have an actually ending point. Maybe then I will be able to explain/reccomend this to friends.

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I agree. Can't explain it to someone else. You have to experience it. Chapter 7 is most visually amazing yet.

Do they give out Emmys for "Most incredibly fucked-up but visually groundbreaking and stunning"? They should create that category for this show.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

As an aside, anyone who is enjoying Legion and hasn't seen Fargo should check it out. It's not as wild as Legion but it's nearly as good.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I loved the scene where they needed to clarify plot points for people who hadn't been paying close attention via an exposition dump, so they created a literal classroom with literal chalkboards in David's mind.

Professor X's wheelchair!

The Shadow King confirmed as the season's big bad and the bogeyman in David's head!

Favorite beat, though? The Division Three soldiers have them all surrounded, and Oliver nonchalantly takes a sip of his martini.

6. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    The chalkboard scene had the added benefit of referencing the actual astral plane duels between Charles and the Shadow King (as drawn in the comics and to a lesser extent the animated series). In the comics, the duels start out with the two as generic featureless humanoids, and quickly change to stylized fights between gladiators, knights, etc. The chalkboard fight was a nice homage.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Well, that was the single most satisfying first season of a television series that I've ever experienced.

On one hand, the Jemaine Clement/Aubrey Plaza pairing is the stylishly evil dream that we could only dream of. On other the other hand, Oliver remembering Melanie just before the Shadow King swept into his body was an extra cruel development.

The show did a great job of wrapping up all of the season's ongoing story threads, while introducing plenty of story to launch into next season.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Definitely. Based on the mini-series nature of Fargo, I expected a fairly definitive ending (even with the renewal) to the story but this was more like a comic book where the story will keep going.

This is quite likely my favorite adaptation of a comic book ever (sorry, Ghost World and Watchmen).

9. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Count me in as another who enjoyed the finale. Similar to Adam, I think that Legion Season One is one of the single best seasons of television I've seen. The fact that the finale was actively made to be less bombastic and stereotypical only underscores how Hawley and his team are at the top of their game, and know exactly the product they want to create.

As to the mid-credit stinger, could the orb be from SWORD? Maybe SWORD is "recruiting" David to help fight an enemy?

10. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Just watched Chapters 7 and 8. That was great. I've saved all 8 episodes on the DVR in case I can convince my son to watch it this summer or if I want to revisit it. I wonder how those earlier episodes will play a second time.

That was definitely cruel that Oliver remembered right before being hit.

Just had to look up where I remembered the Interrogator/Clark from - The New Adventures of Old Christine. Unless I am incorrect, he realized that there was a threat (The Shadow King) against which they really need Legion and the others' help to fight against.

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I could definitely be wrong, but my impression was that the orb was the "Equinox" that the Division 3 guy threatened to use.

I wish I'd have the foresight to do that. I take it for granted that prestige cable dramas will get quality Blu-Ray releases, but I neglected to factor in the fact that this is a 20th Television show, and Fox has far and away the worst track record for TV on Blu-Ray.

It will be borderline criminal if this goes DVD only.

12. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    That's probably the more reasonable answer, so probably also correct. My guess is more fun, though, since SWORD means fun Marvel space stuff, which other than Guardians (and the awful Silver Surfer Fantastic Four movie, which we are all better served by forgetting), is under-served at the moment.

The sphere does look like the SWORD spheres that followed Legion around for a while in the comics. I don't think they could shrink though (I think they were just camera/mics).

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think it'll have a Blu-ray release. Then in true Fox-style, they'll release S2 on DVD only.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  14. spshultz

spshultz Second Unit

John Ratzen
    I could not agree more. It was simply incredible. They truly have lightning in a bottle here. Hopefully they can keep it up with the 10 eps in season 2.

15. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    TV Shows on DVD.com has a listing for this. No release date yet, but it is happening.

16. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Your summary is exactly why my wife and I gave up on this. Extremely hard to follow, I wouldn't even know how to describe it to someone who's not seen the show beyond saying "this guy's got powers." It's well produced and acted, but it's a boring mess to us. We kept hoping for it to become understandable and it's not doing that.

Just our humble opinion.

17. Message #57 of 137 Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    This show is one of the best surprises to come along in a long time. I almost skipped the show, feeling like I had too many comic book-related shows on my schedule, but the great reviews of the first episode convinced me to take a look, and I am glad I did. This is one of the most inventive and offbeat things I have ever seen.

Pink Floyd in the finale? Perfect. I will also say that many things I didn't understand in earlier episodes made sense after the last one.

Eager for season 2.

18. NeilO

NeilO Producer

19. spshultz

spshultz Second Unit

John Ratzen
    I am super pumped for this. This is probably my most anticipated show of the upcoming season.
    But, I'm really hoping season 1 wasn't just a one hit wonder.

20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

My rule for when a show has a season as good as Legion's was is to try to keep my expectations for the next year in check. It seems pretty hard to top last season so I just hope for it to be good.