What's new

Legion - FX Network/Marvel (2 Viewers)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am glad I started watching this but it is wacky and really hard to follow, I think I love it ... However, I am unable to explain this series to friends in a way that makes them want to watch. I am afraid that it is just way too confusing for most people to make it past the first episode. I am hoping that after the season finale next week, it will have an actually ending point. Maybe then I will be able to explain/reccomend this to friends.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I agree. Can't explain it to someone else. You have to experience it. Chapter 7 is most visually amazing yet.

Do they give out Emmys for "Most incredibly fucked-up but visually groundbreaking and stunning"? They should create that category for this show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I loved the scene where they needed to clarify plot points for people who hadn't been paying close attention via an exposition dump, so they created a literal classroom with literal chalkboards in David's mind.

Professor X's wheelchair!

The Shadow King confirmed as the season's big bad and the bogeyman in David's head!

Favorite beat, though? The Division Three soldiers have them all surrounded, and Oliver nonchalantly takes a sip of his martini.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I loved the scene where they needed to clarify plot points for people who hadn't been paying close attention via an exposition dump, so they created a literal classroom with literal chalkboards in David's mind.

The chalkboard scene had the added benefit of referencing the actual astral plane duels between Charles and the Shadow King (as drawn in the comics and to a lesser extent the animated series). In the comics, the duels start out with the two as generic featureless humanoids, and quickly change to stylized fights between gladiators, knights, etc. The chalkboard fight was a nice homage.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, that was the single most satisfying first season of a television series that I've ever experienced.

On one hand, the Jemaine Clement/Aubrey Plaza pairing is the stylishly evil dream that we could only dream of. On other the other hand, Oliver remembering Melanie just before the Shadow King swept into his body was an extra cruel development.

The show did a great job of wrapping up all of the season's ongoing story threads, while introducing plenty of story to launch into next season.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The show did a great job of wrapping up all of the season's ongoing story threads, while introducing plenty of story to launch into next season.
Definitely. Based on the mini-series nature of Fargo, I expected a fairly definitive ending (even with the renewal) to the story but this was more like a comic book where the story will keep going.

This is quite likely my favorite adaptation of a comic book ever (sorry, Ghost World and Watchmen).

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Count me in as another who enjoyed the finale. Similar to Adam, I think that Legion Season One is one of the single best seasons of television I've seen. The fact that the finale was actively made to be less bombastic and stereotypical only underscores how Hawley and his team are at the top of their game, and know exactly the product they want to create.

As to the mid-credit stinger, could the orb be from SWORD? Maybe SWORD is "recruiting" David to help fight an enemy?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Just watched Chapters 7 and 8. That was great. I've saved all 8 episodes on the DVR in case I can convince my son to watch it this summer or if I want to revisit it. I wonder how those earlier episodes will play a second time.

That was definitely cruel that Oliver remembered right before being hit.

Just had to look up where I remembered the Interrogator/Clark from - The New Adventures of Old Christine. Unless I am incorrect, he realized that there was a threat (The Shadow King) against which they really need Legion and the others' help to fight against.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As to the mid-credit stinger, could the orb be from SWORD? Maybe SWORD is "recruiting" David to help fight an enemy?
I could definitely be wrong, but my impression was that the orb was the "Equinox" that the Division 3 guy threatened to use.

I've saved all 8 episodes on the DVR in case I can convince my son to watch it this summer or if I want to revisit it.
I wish I'd have the foresight to do that. I take it for granted that prestige cable dramas will get quality Blu-Ray releases, but I neglected to factor in the fact that this is a 20th Television show, and Fox has far and away the worst track record for TV on Blu-Ray.

It will be borderline criminal if this goes DVD only.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I could definitely be wrong, but my impression was that the orb was the "Equinox" that the Division 3 guy threatened to use.

That's probably the more reasonable answer, so probably also correct. My guess is more fun, though, since SWORD means fun Marvel space stuff, which other than Guardians (and the awful Silver Surfer Fantastic Four movie, which we are all better served by forgetting), is under-served at the moment.

The sphere does look like the SWORD spheres that followed Legion around for a while in the comics. I don't think they could shrink though (I think they were just camera/mics).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wish I'd have the foresight to do that. I take it for granted that prestige cable dramas will get quality Blu-Ray releases, but I neglected to factor in the fact that this is a 20th Television show, and Fox has far and away the worst track record for TV on Blu-Ray.

It will be borderline criminal if this goes DVD only.
I think it'll have a Blu-ray release. Then in true Fox-style, they'll release S2 on DVD only.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Well, that was the single most satisfying first season of a television series that I've ever experienced.

I could not agree more. It was simply incredible. They truly have lightning in a bottle here. Hopefully they can keep it up with the 10 eps in season 2.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I am glad I started watching this but it is wacky and really hard to follow, I think I love it ... However, I am unable to explain this series to friends in a way that makes them want to watch. I am afraid that it is just way too confusing for most people to make it past the first episode. I am hoping that after the season finale next week, it will have an actually ending point. Maybe then I will be able to explain/reccomend this to friends.
Your summary is exactly why my wife and I gave up on this. Extremely hard to follow, I wouldn't even know how to describe it to someone who's not seen the show beyond saying "this guy's got powers." It's well produced and acted, but it's a boring mess to us. We kept hoping for it to become understandable and it's not doing that.

Just our humble opinion.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This show is one of the best surprises to come along in a long time. I almost skipped the show, feeling like I had too many comic book-related shows on my schedule, but the great reviews of the first episode convinced me to take a look, and I am glad I did. This is one of the most inventive and offbeat things I have ever seen.

Pink Floyd in the finale? Perfect. I will also say that many things I didn't understand in earlier episodes made sense after the last one.

Eager for season 2.

Last edited:

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I am super pumped for this. This is probably my most anticipated show of the upcoming season.
But, I'm really hoping season 1 wasn't just a one hit wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks