1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Legion - FX Network/Marvel

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sean Bryan, Jul 24, 2016.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

They've added an episode so there will be a total of 11 episodes this year. I'd guess they were in the middle of editing the remaining episodes and a number of them were running too long so they decided to make a 'new' episode rather than have a bunch of episodes run 75 or 80 minutes.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Hats off to whoever thought to say "Apparently on Legion" instead of "Previously on...".

Sam Favate, NeilO and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

A lot of this show obeys dream logic. Last night's episode obeyed nightmare logic. Everything with David's sister in the house in the desert viscerally summoned to mind nightmares I've had -- not the literal events, but the feeling and the pacing -- especially when the wind turbine stopped, her partner went to answer the door, and she went to see what happened to him. When Oliver appeared, I knew with dreadful certainty what was about to transpire.

Aubrey Plaza is one of the great talents of her generation. She was great as the Shadow King's puppet last season, but her work here as the "real" Lenny Busker is more subtle but even harder.

As long as it's not a tacked on series finale because Noah Hawley decided to end the show or FX decided to cancel the show.

TravisR likes this.
  4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Slightly related to that was the use of The Velvet Underground's "Heroin" over Lenny looking up at the ceiling, transitioning to the opening credits and then to Oliver in the car. That song (hell, the whole album) is revered among rock fans so using it in a cool way that can live up to the song is tough but they pulled it off.

Also, am I a dope for not realizing that Lenny was short for Lenore? I just assumed it was a nickname not based on her real name.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

All of the music choices last night were top notch. Cat Powers's cover of "Werewolf" when they were digging up the body, in addition to speaking directly to the episode-long debate between Farouk and Oliver about morality and meaning, also foreshadowed a bit the big reveal of what the Shadow King was really up to.

And the show's in-house cover of Tom Petty’s "Don’t Come Around Here No More" as Amy was violently overwritten by Lenny was atmospheric to the max.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
    Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
    But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
    And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, "Lenore?"
    This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, "Lenore!" --
    Merely this and nothing more.

TravisR likes this.
  6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Last week, David moved from denial to anger. This week, he moved from anger to bargaining.

For most people these "what ifs" and "if onlys" are pointless desperation. But David is perhaps the most powerful mutant who has ever lived. He can literally reach out and visit the "what ifs", see how they play out. The writers must have been tempted to make that all grim and dispiriting, but they're not. One in particular, in which David settles down with a wife whose fond of him and two children he clearly adores, But even the really grim ones tend to capture the devotion that Amy had toward David,

The Shadow King has advised him to utilize his godlike power to rework reality to match his desires.

But in a staggeringly poignant montage recapping the major events of the series so far, set to "Superman" (much closer to The Clique original than R.E.M.'s more well-known cover), David listens to her sister, back when he was first about to be admitted into Clockworks:
    "It’s wasn’t supposed to be like this."
    "I know. But it is."​

So instead of the cover ending on "I am Superman and I can do anything", it ends with the first line instead: "I am Superman and I know what's happening."

TravisR likes this.
  7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The highlight of last night's episode for me was David and Syd wandering the desolate place, Oliver and Farouk in the rickshaw crossing the desolate place, with the arrangement and composition of shots so closely mirroring the panel layouts in comics used to convey the passage of time.

This week's Jon Hamm lesson starts with a cliffnotes refresher on Plato's Cave before quickly moving on to a meditation on narcissism, the ways in which we isolate ourselves from the world around us and the consequences of the resulting abstractions. Farouk, of course, is a classic naricissist and, having resided in and experienced the world through other people's bodies for decades now, must be quite limited by the resulting abstractions. But the lesson could just as easily apply to David.

Fukuyama’s nurse reading to him from The Phantom Tollbooth when he was a child resonates in an interesting way to the Hamm lesson, because both the book and the cave allegory center around the necessity of education for true comprehension.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This episode was a fun exploration of dualities: the young Melanie that Oliver left behind and the old Melanie who lost track of herself waiting; Lenny and Amy, two minds sharing the same body; and of course Cary/Kerry Loudermilk -- who finally get to take center stage.

Melanie's been sort of in the background all season, so it was nice to get some clarity about what's been going on with her. She is a pawn of the Shadow King, and a prisoner of her sense of abandonment by Oliver, but she is also trapped in her own mental gymnastics. She's gone down the rabbit hole, and she doesn't know how to find her way back.

Lenny spent her life being one person, and once she's free of Division 3, her first instinct is to go back to being that person. But Amy Haller is along for the ride, because it's Amy's transmogrified body that she's driving. And Amy cajoles her onto a more constructive path. The pieces of David's plan appear to be coming together.

The fun thing about Kerry's extremely literal view of the world is that it inoculates her against the snares that have caught our other characters this season. She has a concrete view of the world, and it is what it is. She has neither the foundation nor the inclination to challenge that. Amber Midthunder and Bill Irwin have wonderful chemistry together; you believe they've spent the entirety of their lives together. And it's been a joy seeing Kerry grow and change as a result of being the "outside" self this season. She has to grapple with complexities that she could just withdraw from before.

TravisR likes this.
  9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The sex scene was like something out of a David Lynch movie where it's pretty hot while also being scary.

Nice use of the MC5's "Kick Out The Jams" and The Kink's "Destroyer".

Rob Willey and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

"Legion" Renewed by FX for Season 3

TravisR and Josh Dial like this.
  11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

It was a bold finale, but I'm not sure it was a good one.

The reversal of David and the Shadow King didn't feel earned to me. The title cards about the nine wise men and the one wise man lead me to believe that all is not as it seems, and that the Shadow King's manipulation of Syd in the previous episode continued into this finale, and that the entire jury who condemned David are under his sway in one form or another.

So in that sense, David is correct to feel persecuted.

But what doesn't seem to be in dispute is that that David, reeling from Syd's seeming betrayal, was desperate to have her back. And rather than proving the Shadow King wrong by behaving exactly the opposite of how Shadow King Melanie painted him to be, he decided to cut corners. He blocked out the memories that were unflattering toward him. And then, with Syd's mind flummoxed by his manipulations, he proceeded to have sex with her. As an audience member, that's an unforgivable violation. Even if everything else is the Shadow King's fault, that alone makes David the villain going forward. Strange that they didn't touch upon Syd's act of sexual violation from earlier this season.

I also didn't care for the implication that David is the villain because he is mentally ill. The villainous reveal, and the emergence of his other personalities should not have happened in the same episode.

All in all, ambitious but a finale that makes me less excited to tune in next season rather than more.

12. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I know David was and is unstable, but it felt like it was the betrayal by everyone around him, who seemingly were so quick to believe Farouk over him that lead to his break. Like he only made the turn they were worried about because they pushed him into it. Not that he is without some responsibility, but as a viewer I was really pissed at all of his “friends” and still find myself siding with David.

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I want to see what kind of craziness they have David & Lenny do together.

14. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Skipping spoilers (only on episode 5) for this season, but this season is very intense. Last season was more trippy (not that this one isn't) but with Farouk being a real person now, instead of the monster inside David, it brings another kind of dramatic intensity to the show. I loved the episode on Syd's background and the one on Lenny's revival. I'm glad to see it is renewed for next year but I can't imagine how far they can it. Quite a while I hope.

It's also so refreshing to watch a show that doesn't follow the traditional formula.

TravisR likes this.
  15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

A couple weeks ago, I realized that I can't even summarize what the plot of this season was.

Rob Willey, Sam Favate and Sean Bryan like this.
  16. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Finally finished season 2 last week. What a delightfully fucked-up show this is! It stands expectations on their heads and not in just a fool-the-audience way.

It seemed to me that Farouk
    got to all of David's friends and had them turn on him. When Farouk is in his cell and he talks to the mouse, and then we see the mouse with Syd, I think the implication is that Farouk got to Syd; I think he got to the others in turn as well.

All of which means that I don't know what to think about the ending.

Neil Middlemiss and Sean Bryan like this.
  17. Message #97 of 137 Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

I finally finished season two. I had been watching it with a friend, but he bailed on the show and I allowed the show to languish on the DVR for the longest time on the off chance that my buddy might want to re-engage with the show. Well, that didn't happen; so I worked my way through the season over the past week or so.

My overall impression was that the storytelling was more opaque this season. Season one felt a little 'tighter' or maybe my time away from season one has altered my perceptions of that season. What David did with Syd was not cool, but my overall impression was that Farouk manipulated David's associates into turning on David so I feel like David's sense of betrayal was earned. That doesn't excuse David, but my sympathies as a viewer still tend to side with him; perhaps because I have bought into the notion of him being the protagonist of the series. A flawed protagonist to be sure. The multi-verse episode showed us many of the potential pathways for David and seems to suggest that our choices in life are what define us.

Some random thoughts...

While this doesn't excuse David one little bit, what teenage Syd did to one her mom's boyfriends was way worse.

Devil-may-care David and Lenny should be an interesting combination in season three. Curious to see what sort of shenanigans they will be up to next year. :)

I think that someone from the show must have Blue Oyster Cults' The Curse of the Hidden Mirror in their record collection considering how much the scenes of Oliver and Farouk in the desert sort of remind me of that album's cover art.

In the multi-verse episode there is an incredibly obvious reference to A Clockwork Orange. My question is - were there other less obvious references/homages in that episode? I was kind of blowing through the episodes and really should have revisited that episode.

Jon Hamm's serlingesque instructions to the viewer were an interesting storytelling device. The voice was familiar but I could not immediately identify Hamm. Thank goodness for the internet. :)

One of the very best things about season two was the presence of Navid Negahban as Amahl Farouk. Perfectly cast in the role. His line readings in French were incredibly enjoyable and his delivery was tailor made for a character who manipulates others through his language and insinuations. He pretty much commanded the screen whenever he was present (for me.) His scenes with Oliver in the Bentley and later in the rickshaw were some of the most picturesque, stylized, and entertaining of season two.

I'll probably revisit this season on Blu-Ray next year.

- Walter.

Sean Bryan, Sam Favate and TravisR like this.
  18. Message #98 of 137 Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I finished Legion S2 tonight, having watched it the past few weeks.

It was a dud.

The first season was incredible, nigh-experimental style in service to a compelling story arc. Season 2 was all style for the sake of style, intentionally confusing storytelling to create the feel of unconventionality but lacking the story, and just plain filler to pad the episode length and episode count.

A third of the show was on the delusional tar-chicken. Pointless. No relevance to the story. The first chunk was spent on the chattering disease. Red herring and forgotten on the second half. Almost every episode burned time padding itself with Jon Hamm narrations. While usually interesting per se, they had nothing to do with Legion’s season 2 arc.

Individually, there were some great moments. The multiverse episode was fascinating. And I appreciate the efforts to depict superhero and action in new and visually surprising ways.

The finale promises a thrilling season 3. But that final turn was unearned, happening solely in the final two episodes. This should have been the season’s arc. Instead, too much time was squandered on stylistic but empty excursions.

But as a story or character arcs, Season 2 was a failure.

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Looking for a dead-man’s body.

They found it.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  20. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Legion is returning for its third and final season this summer, according to Marvel.com. The showrunner says he originally saw the show running three years, although in the wake of Netflix's cancellations of its Marvel shows and the impending takeover of the Fox properties by Disney, I am forced to wonder if the end of Legion isn't somehow related.

In any event, I will look forward to another season of the trippiest show on TV.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/legion-season-3-final-season-announced-summer-2019?fbclid=IwAR2vD8Fk1EN0z8BUyFCubgg08Mz-VBt7YdVRnCxYOZFkUdCvS6ycsOy1uo4&linkId=63209489