What's new

Legion - FX Network/Marvel (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Legion is a collaboration between Marvel Entertainment and Fox. Separate from film rights, Fox didn't have the rights to make any TV shows featuring Marvel's "Mutants". But Marvel and Fox came to some sort of arrangement.

The show is being run by Fargo's Noah Hawley, and will air early 2017

"Legion follows David Haller, a troubled young man who may be more than human. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he’s confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and visions might be real."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Is this guy a character from the comics?
In the comics, he is Professor X's son and one of the most powerful mutants in the Marvel Universe. The conceit for this particular character is that he is mentally ill with a form of dissociative identity disorder, which may or may not be a result of his mutant abilities. Each of his personalities has a different mutant ability. His core, original personality has the ability to warp reality itself.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Tremendous first episode. Flawless, maybe. Easily the best pilot I've seen since Mr. Robot. 11/10.

The costume, hair, makeup, and set design perfectly captured the "look" of Marvel in the 60s and early 70s, which is to say the way comics were drawn during that period.

The brief battle sequence at the end was awesome in every sense of the word. The characters had power that seemed real--exactly how they would work in "the real world."

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I enjoyed it and thought it was quite interesting.

However, making things looks like the 60's/70's while also being modern pulls me out of it somewhat.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tremendous first episode. Flawless, maybe. Easily the best pilot I've seen since Mr. Robot. 11/10.
Best pilot I've seen in years, too. And I was dreadfully ill with norovirus when I watched it, so the fact that it held up with my personal misery working against it really speaks volumes to the quality.

However, making things looks like the 60's/70's while also being modern pulls me out of it somewhat.
It's worth noting that a) we're seeing the world from David's subjective perspective, so what we're seeing might not reflect the world as it actually is. The scenes in the interrogation room inside the swimming pool seemed more objective, and also more modern; and b) this is clearly a world alternate to both the real world and the cinematic X-Men universe. Stylistic trends would have transpired differently there. It's sort of like Earth-2 on the "Arrowverse" shows or the world of "Gotham".

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Visually, it is stunning, really impressive work.

I'm intrigued enough to see where it all goes.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the premiere today. I have no solid idea of what was "real" and what was in his mind (or what he his captors were lying about), but it was definitely engrossing and looked great.

I think this will be loosely based on the comics borrowing as need be but going in its own direction.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
With all the buzz on this show I think I'm going to give it a watch. I've got it recorded just haven't had any quiet time to sit down and see what it's all about.

antmumford

Grip
Real Name
Anthony Mumford
Have to agree with you guys, that first episode was a phenomenal piece of TV work.
The acting, cinematography and direction were superb so I'm psyched for Thursday to watch the next one

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I just finished the pilot episode and well, I'm completely blown away. That was Spectacular!

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Just watched it too, was great. That guy pimp slapping folks and debris at the end was great.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Episode 2 was fantastic.

Theory: David seeing and hearing "stars" was actually him inside Cerebro, seeing and hearing other mutants. David's father, Charles, isn't an astronomer, he's an "astronomer."

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
First two episodes were good, the series has potential.

Just found out the lead actor is British and playing the Beast in the upcoming Disney movie Beauty and the Beast.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Two episodes in, and this has already become the show I'm most excited about each week. From a production standpoint, it's more sophisticated than most motion pictures despite having a much smaller budget. The cast is uniformly great. After the Bryan Singer films did a great job of using mutants as a metaphor for being an "invisible" minority (ie. religion, sexual orientation), it's nice to get a fresh take on the material with David's abilities serving as mechanism to explore mental illness and the unreliability of memory.

And while the audience is kept in the dark about many things, the show isn't being willfully opaque. There are certain tricks the show uses to help place us: for instance, for the living breathing Lenny, Aubrey Plaza has messy, out-of-control hair. For the Lenny in David's head, Aubrey Plaza has well-groomed hair.

Theory: David seeing and hearing "stars" was actually him inside Cerebro, seeing and hearing other mutants. David's father, Charles, isn't an astronomer, he's an "astronomer."
I love that theory. The fact that David's father is impossible for David (and therefore the audience) to see, even in memories, certainly seems to hint that they're not going to shy away from the David's father = Professor X backstory. On the other hand, what we can see of David's father hints toward a man with a full head of hair. It's possible that the memories took placed before Xavier lost his hair and founded the X-Men, it's possible that David's memories have been deliberately distorted (as seems to be the case), and it's possible that the man who David believes to be his father is not in fact his biological father.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks