1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Legion - FX Network/Marvel

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sean Bryan, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Knowing what we do about Noah Hawley, it doesn't surprise me at all that he envisioned this as three and out.

Given the bad taste the second season finale left in my mouth, this news actually increased my excitement.

TravisR and Sam Favate like this.
  2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

3. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Three seasons makes total sense. You can't run David Haller's story for ever. Even the comics only go to the Legion well every now and then.

The announcment is also not a surprise given how Marvel is clearly collecting all its IP back for potential use (at its sole pleasure) on its streaming services.

Great news. He's a standout on Counterpart, which is saying something given the high quality of acting on that show (which I swear is watched by only me and Adam :) ).

TravisR and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

"Legion" Season 3 will premiere Monday, June 24 at 10 PM EDT.

5. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Now we just need the second season released on blu-ray.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Here's hoping. Season 2 was a mess and greatly inferior to Season 1. Will Season 3 be worse still, or back to Season 1 heights?

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Official Trailer:

Sam Favate and TravisR like this.
  8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

If they really wanted to blow my mind, these new episodes would just be normal.

9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    You mean like have David drive around in an old Chevy and solve crimes and stuff? I'd watch that.

TravisR likes this.
  10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

New poster:
    Legion_S03_001.
    New Teaser ("How Far"):

TravisR likes this.
  11. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Really enjoyed Legion S01-02. S02 was especially trippy, but was still interesting/compelling. In fact, S02 may have been even better than S01, but it was also a lot more confusing & convoluted.

One of my favorite scenes of S02 was towards the end, when David was lip-synching?! The Who's Behind Blue Eyes, as he was heading to the final?! confrontation.

Though it's probably already been noted at some point, it's worth mentioning that the female character Sydney Barrett is obviously an "homage" to Syd Barrett, one of the early members of the iconic UK pop/rock group Pink Floyd. This goes along with the late 1960's-inspired fashion/hair & psychedelic/trippy vibe of the series.

Josh Dial likes this.
  12. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Legion Season 3 premieres tonight.

Though some members here were less enthusiastic about season 2, I thought it was brilliant. Right now, at this moment in time, nothing touches Legion in terms of pure artistry. All facets of the show--acting, writing, directing, costume, lighting, sound design/editing, visual effects--are operating at the highest level.

Unless season 3 totally drops the ball, Legion will go down in my book as one of the few perfect series (The Leftovers is the most recent addition).

13. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    This. Every word of this!

Josh Dial likes this.
  14. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Yeah, I loved season two of Legion and am eagerly looking forward to the premiere of season three.

I would agree that it was more difficult to follow when compared to season one, and it felt more... avant-garde? If that is possible.

Looking forward to what sort of shenanigans David and Lenny get themselves into this season. :)

- Walter.

15. Message #115 of 125 Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Given that the second season ended with David becoming a rapist and a Manson-esque cult leader, I was a bit apprehensive coming into the third season; I didn't think I could invest much in a protagonist who is so morally abhorrent.

The season premiere solved that neatly, by giving us a new protagonist and point of view character in Lauren Tsai's character, Switch. David's still the main character, but we're not seeing this story through his eyes anymore. The show's adapted accordingly, becoming bilingual like her character (as opposed to omnilingual like Farouk).

And because Switch isn't mentally ill, the narrative was a lot clearer and more focused than the first and (especially) second seasons. Still really out there, but definitely more focused.

When I saw Superorganism play a street festival last fall, I thought they felt like something straight out of "Legion". And here they are, in a "Legion" episode, as Switch falls down the rabbit hole.

David, Syd, and Farouk are all guilty of rape, with various extenuating circumstances attached. And Ptonomy is trapped in a mainframe loaded into a robot body. So that basically leaves the Loudermilks as our OG protagonists to root for. I still love me some Cary and Kerry.

Aubrey Plaza continues to be a force of nature as Lennie.

This premiere was written by the season two team of Noah Hawley & Nathaniel Halpern, but next week they start bringing in some new blood, with playwright Olivia Dufault.

Walter Kittel likes this.
  16. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Psychedelic. Surreal. Trippy. Visually inventive. Fragmented. Awesome.

Just some of my impressions of the premiere. Definitely agree with Adam's thoughts regarding Switch and a clearer narrative vs. season two. It will be interesting to see what strategies Division will adopt to tackle David's new ally and the advantages that she confers upon David.

The episode establishes that Switch isn't omnipotent with its warnings of 'the Demon' and longer travels into the past. Was 'the Demon' a reference to Farouk or something else? Not clear on that point. Assuming that it is not Farouk, then I expect we will eventually see a manifestation of something else in the series that poses a threat to Switch (and by extension David.)

Loved every aspect of the premiere. Some great soundtrack choices in the episode also including Fly Like an Eagle and 2000 Light Years from Home.

- Walter.

17. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I am looking forward to the new season. I hope my DVR remembered to record it last night.

I know I am old..... But can someone give a quick summary as to what David did to be labeled a rapist? I admit I do not remember much about how season 2 ended. Is the "rape" explained in last nights episode?

I hope that I will remember as soon as someone will gently remind me. :)

18. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

From an article on Gamespot

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/legion-season-3-is-david-haller-redeemable-after-w/1100-6468002/

The pertinent paragraph is as follows regarding Scott's question about David...

In Season 2, David essentially slipped Syd (Rachel Keller) a psychic roofie, erasing her bad memories of him, and then had sex with her. She technically consented to the sex, but only because David had erased part of her mind--without his interference, she would never have consented. Therefore, she wasn't really capable of giving informed consent at all. David clearly didn't look at it that way--he still doesn't view himself as the villain--but to Syd, and to anyone looking at it objectively, what David did to her was rape.

- Walter.

19. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    OK, that does sound bad. And as I suspected, it did ring a bell in my head and shock a few cobwebs loose.

Thanks

20. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

So the second episode gives us a bit of a flashback into what went down between Syd and David.

David is still using his mental abilities to 'tinker' with individual's minds, which suggests that he hasn't learned his lesson or perhaps he has embraced an 'ends justifies the means' worldview - which seems very likely.

Still loving the visual aesthetic and the psychedelia of the new season. Lenny as the Mad Hatter worked pretty well within the context of the show, and was quite fun.

Not as strong as the premiere, but it does advance David's plan to 'make things right'. What could possibly go wrong? :)

- Walter.