1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Legion - FX Network/Marvel

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sean Bryan, Jul 24, 2016.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    There are three meta-stories in sci-fi/fantasy style shows that will get me every single time: time travel, multiverse, and un/reality. I also love shows that push the forms or advance the techniques of aural/visual storytelling.

"Legion" is the latest to hook me. The 90-minute pilot is nothing I've seen on TV before. And if it had been worked into a standalone comic-book theatrical movie, it would have blown up the competition. Mesmerizing and unsettling while having a simple core story. I loved it, start to stop.

The pilot was so stylized and highly crafted, the second episode I feared was set for a let down. This happened several years ago with The Americans. The pilot went all out with '80s music licensing and Michael-Mann-esque filming, that the actual show was jarringly diffferent, feeling like a different show. Fortunately it recovered and is presently the best show on TV, for my viewing. That aside to say, would Legion need to spend the next several shows recovering and resetting expectations from its high-concept, high budget premiere?

No. Incredibly, Legion is able to deftly pull back while maintaining its approach of keeping the audience unbalanced and pushed around by judicious use of its stylized shoves.

I don't know that Legion will be as sublime as Jessica Jones or as stop-everything-and-watch-The-Americans.

But Legion is another hallmark of being in an inexpressibly amazing Golden Age of TV that simply keeps getting more amazing.

And I'm hooked.

NeilO and spshultz like this.
  2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This episode was absolutely bonkers, but never in an unfocused or superficial way. I'm not sure we ever left David's mind, but the events that transpired still matter because all of our characters were involved with them.

I had completely misinterpreted how Cary and Kerry related to one another before this episode, and as a result totally misunderstood the nature of girl Kerry's powers. Once we got the explanation, I took a lot more notice of Amber Midthunder's performance -- particularly the way she looks around constantly, soaking up the world around her the way young kids do. Because she only gets to experience the world in relatively small doses.

What are the odds that our host for tonight's episode, speaking to us from his ice cube lounge within the astral plane, is Melanie's long-gone husband?

Not jumping into David's headspace until nearly 30 minutes in was a bold move. Experiencing the episode from Syd's perspective, our warmth and empathy for David is challenged as Syd's warmth and empathy toward David is challenged, as we learn about some pretty terrible things he's done.

Part of me wonders if it was Professor X who edited David's memories, partly to protect his agenda from Division 3, partly to protect David from himself.

I guess we got an answer for how David and Syd ended up back in their own bodies. After a while, the bodies swap places and realign with their proper owners.

3. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    This show is operating on a different level compared to everything else currently airing (though Black Sails is a close second). Everything from the costuming, to the lighting, to the editing is tweaked to near perfection. Even the title card is thoughtfully placed and presented.

It's a shame that due to the subject matter, there is virtually zero chance that any aspect of the show will be recognized with awards (though Tatiana's award for Orphan Black creates a bit of hope).

4. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    I.., Um...., Well,.....If......, Yeah.

OK, that was a little trippy.

I still don't think that I understand (K)Cary.

And, overall, I'm not sure of the destination, but, I think I'll enjoy the ride.

5. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I'm on episode 3 (a little behind) and the show is living up to the hype. Am I correct in assuming we're going to see the character Mojo?

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

There has been some speculation that the yellow-eyed demon is Mojo, but the leading theory is that he is Shadow King.

Sam Favate likes this.
  7. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Caught up with episode 4 which was the most visually stunning yet. Really enjoying the show.

8. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Awesome episode tonight. I liked the shout-out (I think) to The Uncanny X-Men issue 117 in the psi-blocker device.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

For a show where the lines of reality are constantly blurring, it sure doesn't drag its feet providing answers. We got confirmation that the man in the ice cube is Jean Smart's husband, and that the yellow-eyed demon is a parasite that jumped into David's body at a young age.

10. NeilO

NeilO Producer

I'm an episode behind. I have not been deleting the episodes off my DVR. I think these will reward viewing again once we have more pieces of the puzzles.

TravisR likes this.
  11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    DaveF and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  12. spshultz

spshultz Second Unit

John Ratzen
    Just finished episode 5 and I have to say this is the most awesomely messed up show I've ever watched. And I mean that in the best way possible. I'm confused some of the time but gripped by it the whole time. This has moved to the top spot in my must watch TV. I just don't know how they will keep up with this level of...well...awesomeness.

13. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    A lot of compliments for the visuals in this thread, but let me be the first to praise the sound design, especially in the pilot. This one really gives the sound system a workout.

TravisR likes this.
  14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

FX Orders Season Two of "Legion"

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Normally I hate "trapped in a dream" episodes, but this one was an illuminating exploration of our supporting cast of characters. And, in a just universe, this episode would bag Aubrey Plaza an Emmy. Just an immense showcase of an immense talent. She was great in "Parks & Recreation", but that was only a sliver of the range on display here.

TravisR likes this.
  16. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I watched Chapter 6 last night, and I agree on Aubrey Plaza. She was funny, creepy and really strange all at the same time. The visuals of her silhouette dancing were just another example of this show's unparalleled (for television) visual style.

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, that dance sequence was like the opening for a Bond movie with an evil chick.

18. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Legion is the best example of what happens when you let a confident team of artists do what they want. From visuals, to sound, costume, to editing and acting, this show is at the top of not only its game, but the industry.

TravisR likes this.
  19. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Definitely the feeling they must have going for.

TravisR likes this.
  20. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Tonight's episode was undeniably one of the best things to appear on television.

TravisR likes this.