What's new

James Whale's The Road Back? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I was just wondering if anyone knew if this film had ever been released on any home format. Does Universal still hold the rights? Has the film been lost?

Of course, this is the film that the studio took away from Whale and hacked to bits. But it still would be interesting to see, I think. Of course, the ultimate would be if they were able to find Whale's original cut, but I'd settle for the theatrical version right now.

Does anyone know anything about this?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I don't think the film is available in any form. Halliwell's guide says the rights reverted to Erich Maria Remarque and it was lost. That's all it says.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'd like a DVD release of Whale's version of Show Boat too, while we're making wish lists, and Journey's End and Waterloo Bridge, while we're at it. The man is sadly underrepresented on DVD.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

Yes. Along with Ernst Lubitsch, Mitchell Leisen and Josef von Sternberg – other directors of the period much of whose best work is owned by Universal.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Well, it certainly is not lost, as I have a bootleg VHS copy that isn't too bad.

Anyway, back when GODS AND MONSTERS came out, I was hoping that Universal would have released a few of Whale's non-horror films...at least on VHS. That would have been the time, but I guess even with a Whale bio-pic playing, that was still not enough incentive for Universal.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

HMMMM! Is it a coincidence that Universal holds all of these? I think not. I have strong interest in the Lubitsch titles, Leisen (primarily because Wilder wrote several of them), and Von Sternberg.

Paging Arthur to defend Universal!!!!!

Charles H

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if Whale's PORT OF SEVEN SEAS (1938) still exists? It's an MGM film starring Wallace Beery and Frank Morgan, Maureen O'Sullivan, John Beal in a Preston Sturges screenplay based on Pagnol's "Fanny." I don't believe that TCM has ever shown it.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Ray...
As best as I remember, I got this title many years ago
from Teakwood Video. They are a company
that has many films that seem never to be on video or
on television anymore.
I can't find my old catalog, but they usually
advertise in CLASSIC IMAGES every month. I believe
they put things on DVDR too. So, if you check that
periodical for their contact information, I am sure
you will find it. And, although not pristine, the ROAD
BACK looks and sounds pretty good for the source.
Good luck,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks