What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Is it a myth or truth that the original script called for Elizabeth’s heart to be used (unbeknownst to Henry) for the female creature? Hence, she really would have been “The Bride of Frankenstein.”
You should be able to access an early draft.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is it a myth or truth that the original script called for Elizabeth’s heart to be used (unbeknownst to Henry) for the female creature? Hence, she really would have been “The Bride of Frankenstein.”

I have no idea but if true I wonder if that’s where Branagh’s film got the idea from - it wasn’t in the book.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
You should be able to access an early draft.
I don’t have one in my library 😏

This must be where I heard that concept (though I remembered the detail wrong): According to the book “The Films of Boris Karloff” (Bojarski and Beals, 1974): “During the writing of the Bride screenplay, the writers considered having Frankenstein’s wife murdered so that her brain would be inserted into the skull of the Monster’s bride, but this idea was abandoned.”

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don’t have one in my library 😏

This must be where I heard that concept (though I remembered the detail wrong): According to the book “The Films of Boris Karloff” (Bojarski and Beals, 1974): “During the writing of the Bride screenplay, the writers considered having Frankenstein’s wife murdered so that her brain would be inserted into the skull of the Monster’s bride, but this idea was abandoned.”
At least until The Man with Two Brains.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Yes I’ve read that was supposed to be the case and when the assistants are asked to procure a heart it’s Elizabeth’s.

Another fun fact is in the original ending Henry dies in the explosion. This was how it was filmed and you can see Colin Clive’s dead body in the shots at the end if you look closely.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well technically, we are never told his name isn't Frankenstein. In the novel, his name is never mentioned (although he jokingly refers to himself as 'Adam').

So his name could be anything - Sam, Joe, Fred, Gertrude, Fluffy, etc. It could even be Frankenstein. We're not told specifically his name is Frankenstein, but at the same time, we are not told it isn't Frankenstein.
Perhaps if we look at the title of the original IP we can get a clue ...
1666417129682.png
I Ms. Shelley could have named the creature after her hubby Percy ... or his friend and companion: Lord Byron by George :D!

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
I’ve always loved Valerie Hobson. Her presence in movies like Great Expectations and Kind Hearts and Coronets elevated those films for me. It’s interesting how this classic role as the bride of Frankenstein fell into her lap after the original bride, Mae Clark of the “pushed grapefruit in the face by James Cagney” fame, became unavailable for the sequel to Frankenstein.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve always loved Valerie Hobson. Her presence in movies like Great Expectations and Kind Hearts and Coronets elevated those films for me. It’s interesting how this classic role as the bride of Frankenstein fell into her lap after the original bride, Mae Clark of the “pushed grapefruit in the face by James Cagney” fame, became unavailable for the sequel to Frankenstein.
Hobson was 17/18 years old when she made Bride of Frankenstein.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
At least until The Man with Two Brains.

Yes I’ve read that was supposed to be the case and when the assistants are asked to procure a heart it’s Elizabeth’s.

Another fun fact is in the original ending Henry dies in the explosion. This was how it was filmed and you can see Colin Clive’s dead body in the shots at the end if you look closely.
You see I think the Dr in the left corner I think - either preview audiences did not like the ending or the studio smellled a hit - but sadly Clive passed in 1937 wonder if he had lived would there been a sequel with him and Hobson and Karloff? frame grab after explosion

1666468316868.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks