What's new

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ahhh didn't realize she played both roles.

What is odd about her name? Elsa or Lanchester?
In the credits of Bride Of Frankenstein, the actress listed for the Bride is literally "?" (presumably to create mystery around the character just like how Karloff was also credited as ? in the original) but Lanchester is listed in movie's credits for playing Shelley.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Hobson was 17/18 years old when she made Bride of Frankenstein.
Ironic she was great in Bride and Expectations although kind of your in Bride and kind of old in Expectations
Married to Charles Laughton. They did a wonderful comedy short together in 1928 - Blue Bottles.

Directed by Ivor Montagu, and photographed by, wait for it…

Freddie Young.
Her and Laughtons' life would make a geat film = she had some wonderful career Bishops Wife Come to The Stable Mary Poppins == Wonder if audiences knew her when she made Bride

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ironic she was great in Bride and Expectations although kind of your in Bride and kind of old in Expectations

Her and Laughtons' life would make a geat film = she had some wonderful career Bishops Wife Come to The Stable Mary Poppins == Wonder if audiences knew her when she made Bride
She used to live across the street from partner in restoration in LA, and would always be ready for Halloween. Terrific lady.

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
In the credits of Bride Of Frankenstein, the actress listed for the Bride is literally "?" (presumably to create mystery around the character just like how Karloff was also credited as ? in the original) but Lanchester is listed in movie's credits for playing Shelley.

Attachments

• Bride Of Frankenstein_Elsa Lanchester_1.jpg
    Bride Of Frankenstein_Elsa Lanchester_1.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 46

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
Wow, that is a great sale on Gruv. Tempting to pick up that great set. / She was a very pretty actress. She could be my bride any day. (That is if I were available,...that is)

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Wow, that is a great sale on Gruv. Tempting to pick up that great set. / She was a very pretty actress. She could be my bride any day. (That is if I were available,...that is)
I've stubbornly resisted anyone who raves about Gruv, since I need more discs on my inbox pile like I need another hole in my head, but I just went over there, and damn. $54.99 out of the gate, compared to Amazon's current $69.99, and all of their deals stack with the 20% sign-up bonus for new customers. So I just ordered it for $43.99. Bought 3 pairs of UHDs from their 2/$32 sale at the same time, so when you divide everything out by movie, I just paid $12.74 per disc.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Elsa Lanchester was not a great looker (just like most of us), but she looked absolutely stunning as the bride, & quite bizarre too. What a brilliant piece of make-up. I suppose that was make-up supremo Jack Pierce.
I thought she was very attractive as Mary Shelley, but perhaps it was the character... because when I looked her up and saw photos of her in various other films I wasn't as impressed.

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I watched the new 4K and as far as I can tell the dissolve that was introduced in the first blu ray is gone. I’m talking about the dissolve they put in to disguise the cut when the monster is outside the hermit’s hut.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I've stubbornly resisted anyone who raves about Gruv, since I need more discs on my inbox pile like I need another hole in my head, but I just went over there, and damn. $54.99 out of the gate, compared to Amazon's current $69.99, and all of their deals stack with the 20% sign-up bonus for new customers. So I just ordered it for $43.99. Bought 3 pairs of UHDs from their 2/$32 sale at the same time, so when you divide everything out by movie, I just paid $12.74 per disc.

Pssst... that discount has actually continued to work indefinitely for repeat orders for everyone (since the very early on... certainly for at least 2 years now) AFAIK... even though the wording (heavily) implies it wouldn't... :D:cool:

Still, who knows when they might eventually pull the plug on it of course... :lol:

_Man_

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Pssst... that discount has actually continued to work indefinitely for repeat orders for everyone (since the very early on... certainly for at least 2 years now) AFAIK... even though the wording (heavily) implies it wouldn't... :D:cool:

Still, who knows when they might eventually pull the plug on it of course... :lol:

_Man_
Someone shared that with me privately, but thanks. If it doesn't, I always have the backup of signing up my wife to get another one. That will be revenge best served cold for when she signed me up to Groupon a few years ago to get an extra discount for herself. It took me months to finally get off their damned mailing list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks