What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Ronald Epstein said:
Raul,

Good to hear the MacBook can run Parallels and Windows. I was concerned about the overall memory, because that is a memory hog.

How does the Macbook work for you? Does it feel sluggish or does it seem to be powerful enough for what you need.

Honestly, just for portability sake, I am considering buying a Macbook over an iPad Pro. Just something light to travel around with.

http://www.engadget.com/products/apple/macbook/early-2015/

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/macbook-1287806/review
Ron,

To me it's a great notebook. It's VERY light and great for travel. Besides email, word processing and web browsing, I've done some touch up work with Lightroom without problems (I did most of the HTF 2015 Hollywood Meet photo touch ups on it).

Mind you, I have the basic model with 8GB RAM and 256GB drive.

Don't know if you'll have a problem with video editing though due to 8GB RAM.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If I buy one of these, it will supplement my Macbook Pro.

In other words, it is just to take to work or vacation where all I need to do is browse the web, email and do HTF work.

Really, it's so close in price to the iPad Pro (especially when including the $160 keyboard), that it almost makes sense buying this instead.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Patrick Donahue said:
For me, a heavy Apple user, I just keep looking at people attaching keyboards to the iPad Pro thinking that if they are spending extra to turn it into an ad hoc laptop then... why not just get a laptop?
Pencil, untethered LTE, touch, intent-focused apps, price, etc.

Again, what do you already have and what do you value? I have a 27" iMac on which I do all my photo editing and video production. I have an Xbox and PS4 and an alienware PC to game on. I have an iPad Pro for on the go. I don't need it for hardcore gaming or media production, but it can do both of those to a limited degree. I can take it to work and have a full fledged stand alone computing device that I don't need to get on wifi with. I can netflix from the beach or a hotel.

If you want to consolidate to one device, it might not be the right product for you yet. For what I want it to do it is fantastic. YMMV.

P

Patrick Donahue

Sam Posten said:
Again, what do you already have and what do you value?...

If you want to consolidate to one device, it might not be the right product for you yet. For what I want it to do it is fantastic. YMMV.

I agree. The paragraph after the one you quoted is where I said my opinion of it was only based on how it worked for me and my usage.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Two things:

1. According to macrumors, Apple appears to be getting Pencils shipped and they might actually beat the current estimated shipping times. I hope that's true. They also suggest more pencils will begin to show at Apple Stores. So hopefully we'll be able to start using the Pencils.

2. This is something I'm sure would have already started showing up on Apple forums, but one thing I noticed is the color of the iPad Pro screen. I know each iteration of iPad and retina screens will have variations in color. No question. I'm just bringing it up as I noticed a slight difference in color between the iPad Pro and my old iPad Air 1. But more so, I was noticing a little light drop off along the edges, the short edges. So the edges look slightly dimmer. This more or less goes away when you look straight at the screen. With a display this big, I wasn't totally surprised by this. And it's not a deal breaker. Just thought I'd mention it.

Last night I did do some more sketching with an older Wacom stylus. I'm really enjoying the size of the screen for drawing on. Can't wait to try the Pencil.

I also tried Flipboard for the first time and it's nice with the larger screen. But I also tried Apples own News app and that's nearly identical. Even found the same articles. I'll try them both before picking one.

One thing is for sure, wh n I went back to the iPad Air, it felt down right diminutive! Like an iPad Mini. [emoji1]. But it's certainly a better size for reading in bed then the Pro. Though I'll try the Pro a few more times.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert Crawford said:
I've been thinking of getting a laptop for years to go along with my desk top. However, I might be able to make due with this model which is an upgrade to my iPad Air 2.

Crawdaddy,

I have been giving a lot of thought to your situation over the past few days.

I suppose the reason why is because I have been pondering the iPad Pro as well. Heck, I have actually placed an order twice only to cancel it within an hour.

You can't be me and I can't be you. However, if I were in your shoes...

You are looking to buy your first laptop.

I don't think the iPad Pro with a CREATE case is going to be a true laptop replacement.

For nearly the same cost, more or less, you can buy a Macbook or Macbook Air. It will give you the chance to test the OS X waters. Chances are, you are going to become a fan of Mac....so much so, your next desktop may be an iMac.

Yeah, I already said that earlier, but this is something I strongly believe.

Robert Fowkes and I argued endlessly over Mac vs. Windows. However, a year before his death, I suppose he put it on his bucket list to try Apple products. He purchased an iPad and a Macbook Pro. While I can't speak for Robert now, I do know that based on some of our last phone conversations, he was very happy with his purchases. I think he was swayed over to the "dark" side.

At this point, with $1k to spend at my disposal, I will probably go with a Macbook for portability instead of an iPad. I love the convenience of browsing the web with my iPad, but don't get fooled into thinking that it will replace a laptop.

BTW, here's the final entry in the iPad Pro Diary

Unbiased Review of Macbook

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,

I've decided to wait for now. I'm content with my iPad Air and will look to do something different next year. As to the Mac vs. Windows scenario, I rather stay out of that argument as I don't see a need to go down that road.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Understood.

And just for clarification...

Wasn't looking to debate Windows vs. Mac. Knowing you already own Apple device(s), I wanted to steer you towards a possible option that would integrate with those products.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Robert Crawford said:
Ron,

I've decided to wait for now. I'm content with my iPad Air and will look to do something different next year. As to the Mac vs. Windows scenario, I rather stay out of that argument as I don't see a need to go down that road.
Another option, as I generously offer to spend your money for you :) , is to get a laptop and an iPad mini. Laptop for more power, more flexibility. iPad mini for the convenience of the tablet, and mobility, and spare some cost in luxury purchase.

My needs are different. I find a middling desktop for stuff a tablet doesn't do well (like work email, home base for all my photos and music, and such), and a recent vintage iPad for couch and airplane and vacation. But I'm "consuming" -- web, TiVo, games, shopping. I'm not doing any professional work or hobbies on my computers, home or on travel.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DaveF said:
Another option, as I generously offer to spend your money for you :) , is to get a laptop and an iPad mini. Laptop for more power, more flexibility. iPad mini for the convenience of the tablet, and mobility, and spare some cost in luxury purchase.

My needs are different. I find a middling desktop for stuff a tablet doesn't do well (like work email, home base for all my photos and music, and such), and a recent vintage iPad for couch and airplane and vacation. But I'm "consuming" -- web, TiVo, games, shopping. I'm not doing any professional work or hobbies on my computers, home or on travel.
Or I can simply keep my loaded desktop and iPad Air 2 with 128GB, Wi-Fi and Cellular while resisting the upgrade urge just to own the latest new toy.:)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Sam! [emoji3] I've been reading a lot of people who were criticizing the idea of the iPad Pro and pushing Astropad for the iPad Air instead of the Pro. That video just goes to show that the iPad Pro still adds value when coupled with Astropad. Assuming they work out the bugs with the pressure sensitivity, the ability to link to a Mac could be great for some people.

Here's a video from a designer I mentioned before whose in the same profession as me. He was lucky to get a Pencil and has done a good quick overview and is very enthusiastic. He's using it the way I'll be using it, sketching out concepts and producing finer renderings.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
Or I can simply keep my loaded desktop and iPad Air 2 with 128GB, Wi-Fi and Cellular while resisting the upgrade urge just to own the latest new toy.:)
But that's being reasonable, Robert. ;-)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Robert Crawford said:
This is HTF. That's not an acceptable answer. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks