What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As a frequent flyer, I've not bought a cellular iPad and it's fine. Airports and hotels tend to have wifi. If not, tethering is standard feature on cellphone plans.

If you use your iPad like a cellphone and need/want cell data, have at it. But I find this is a $130 + $120/yr cost that's easy to get along without.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam Posten said:
Adding your tablet to a phone account is max $10 a month and draws from the same data pool. For $120 a year it's well worth it.

Tethering from my iPhone saves me $120 per year and allows me to use the $10 for other services (such as Netflix)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been thinking of getting a laptop for years to go along with my desk top. However, I might be able to make due with this model which is an upgrade to my iPad Air 2. How much does the pencil and keyboard cost?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been Desktop + iPad for two years. I highly recommend it, unless professional / hobby needs require a laptop.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DaveF said:
I've been Desktop + iPad for two years. I highly recommend it, unless professional / hobby needs require a laptop.
I have been too, but for three years now. I'm looking at upgrading to pro from air, especially if the pro works more like a computer than the air.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Everybody has their own individual needs, however I would take a 13" Macbook Pro over an iPad any day.

I am really tempted to go for the Pro, but each and every day I am reminded how much easier it is to do my work on a laptop equipped with a keyboard, trackpad, and more software options than just "apps."

http://www.cultofmac.com/397713/wozniak-i-dont-like-being-trapped-in-apples-ecosystem/?utm_campaign=wozniak-i-dont-like-being-trapped-in-apples-ecosystem&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, plenty more expensive.

That is why I emphasized that everyone has their own needs.

For simple emailing and web browsing, the iPad Pro is perfect.

However, being you are considering a laptop, be aware that pending on what you use your desktop for, the iPad might have limitations.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Oh, plenty more expensive.

That is why I emphasized that everyone has their own needs.

For simple emailing and web browsing, the iPad Pro is perfect.

However, being you are considering a laptop, be aware that pending on what you use your desktop for, the iPad might have limitations.
Yes, I'm now on my second iPad so I know about the limitations. With that said, does the iPad Pro give me more flexibility than my current iPad Air?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know what, Crawdaddy? I do have a suggestion that might be a compromise to what you are looking for.

I have been reading this iPad Pro Diary over the past few days. Today's entry sort of reminded me of your predicament.

If I were in your shoes, wanting a laptop, but unsure of whether an iPad would be limited, and not wanting to spend über cash for a Macbook Pro....

Go for the new Macbook.

In short, it's a laptop that meets the most basic of needs and is not exorbitantly expensive. Raul Marquez has one. He likes it.

...but then again, I don't think I ever asked if you were a Mac or Windows desktop user in the first place.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
You know what, Crawdaddy? I do have a suggestion that might be a compromise to what you are looking for.

I have been reading this iPad Pro Diary over the past few days. Today's entry sort of reminded me of your predicament.

If I were in your shoes, wanting a laptop, but unsure of whether an iPad would be limited, and not wanting to spend über cash for a Macbook Pro....

Go for the new Macbook.

In short, it's a laptop that meets the most basic of needs and is not exorbitantly expensive. Raul Marquez has one. He likes it.

...but then again, I don't think I ever asked if you were a Mac or Windows desktop user in the first place.
I have a desk top, can I have a Mac laptop and Windows desktop?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert Crawford said:
I have a desk top, can I have a Mac laptop and Windows desktop?

Wow. That question has sooo many answers.

First, you would be transitioning from the Windows operating system over to OS X. I don't know how that will work for you. Both pretty much work the same, but there's a day or two where you are getting used to doing things a bit differently.

Me? I would never go back to Windows -- and I was a power Windows user before going to Mac.

I take it you have an iPhone with the iPad? Those devices will integrate perfectly with your Macbook. Like your iPad, you'll get notifications across all devices including "handoff" that allows you to work on one device (iPhone/iPad) and then pick up where you left off on your Macbook.

But all this comes with minor problems...

Do you have a lot of Windows software? Well, they won't work on the Mac. You have to start fresh with the software you need. Perhaps you don't need any software other than the basics that come with the Mac.

Another possibility is that you will love OS X so much, your next desktop will be an iMac. That's pretty much how it worked for me. I started with a Mac desktop and then everything else that came after that was made by Apple.

I do think that the Apple experience is much betters than Windows. I don't even use an anti-virus (most Mac users don't). While there will be some people that tell you that there are viruses aimed for Macs, you seldom hear of anyone having an issue.

If you want to test the waters to see if you like the Mac operating system better than windows --- go for the Macbook. It may change your life. You may want a Mac desktop next. It's a dangerous venture financially. You do pay much more for a Mac, but you won't hear many Mac devotees complain about it. It is a cult and those people that get caught up in it are very devoted to the culture.

Just realize the Macbook is kind of low end in power. However, I would imagine it is equivalent to the iPad Pro in performance, and, you certainly get all the benefits of a laptop while having the slim portability of an iPad. My God, that Macbook is super, super slim.

By the way, I wanted to add this...

You can run Windows on a Mac. You can run Windows and OS X at the same time. Your Macbook won't be powerful enough to do it (I would go with a Macbook Pro for that), but I run both systems all the time.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Panzer has some answers for that: The answer is that in general, it doesnt matter. For you personally it might!
http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/11/test-2/

In other words: You can't generalize this question. It's too personal. For me the iPad Pro and create combo do far more than my Air can do and I don't even have a pencil yet. For some, the weight of the Create and the size of the iPad will not work for what they want to do.

P

Patrick Donahue

For me, a heavy Apple user, I just keep looking at people attaching keyboards to the iPad Pro thinking that if they are spending extra to turn it into an ad hoc laptop then... why not just get a laptop?

I have only handled it in store, but my first impression was that for my uses it makes for a clumsy laptop with the keyboard, and the size of it makes for a clumsy "sitting on the couch surfing" tablet without the keyboard. For me, a laptop just hits the sweet spot of powerful yet very portable computing. For me.

Robert - another choice to investigate is the MacBook Air, which is a fine machine with its drawback being a not-the-best display. Priced at $899-$999 (and only $749 at Best Buy on Black Friday) it's priced right in line with the iPad Pro...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Raul,

Good to hear the MacBook can run Parallels and Windows. I was concerned about the overall memory, because that is a memory hog.

How does the Macbook work for you? Does it feel sluggish or does it seem to be powerful enough for what you need.

Honestly, just for portability sake, I am considering buying a Macbook over an iPad Pro. Just something light to travel around with.

http://www.engadget.com/products/apple/macbook/early-2015/

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/macbook-1287806/review

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks