What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time Sept/Oct 2016 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
There is a funny story about Scorsese telling Corman that he shot Hershey and Carradine actually having sex and Corman, who was determined to have a film loaded with sex and violence, said "Well, you can't put that in the film, Marty." and Scorsese telling him they could cut it together to get past the censors. Corman wanted a hard R but did not want an X that would diminish the number of theaters where it could play.

For the record, there are no "hardcore" shots in the film obviously, they got their R rating, and it was a film with plenty of violence and sex. A funny note, Scorsese makes a cameo in the film as a "client" that visits Hershey's Bertha while she is working at a brothel. Pretty sure Marty at the time would have loved to have done that for real too.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Is it an act of redundancy to gift a box of chocolates to a woman named Hershey?

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Any takers on guessing which of these new TT titles will be the first to sell its 3,000 units?
In this contest, be careful not to be guided by your personal favorite; but truly the one you feel will be the first to go.
If you think you've got your finger on the pulses of us film aficionados, then give it a go.
I'm betting on "Boxcar Bertha".

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Any takers on guessing which of these new TT titles will be the first to sell its 3,000 units?
In this contest, be careful not to be guided by your personal favorite; but truly the one you feel will be the first to go.
If you think you've got your finger on the pulses of us film aficionados, then give it a go.
I'm betting on "Boxcar Bertha".

9 to 5 features the talents of Dolly Parton - so I vote that one ...

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Pretty safe to say they were not a shy couple...

Barbara and David Boxcar.jpg

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Pretty safe to say they were not a shy couple...

I recall that Playboy did a several page photo layout taken during the sex scene in the boxcar. They really pushed the point that the stars were actually doing it.

In later years I used to book Boxcar Bertha as a second feature in Drive-Ins. I did it until I received complaints that the prints we were being shipped were missing many frames from that famous scene. I guess the projections were snipping souvenir frames of Miss Hershey.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I believe the story I read on the photo shoot for Playboy was that because Hershey and Carradine had been open about the fact that they actually had sex for the film that Playboy asked if they would have sex for their cameras as well...and of course they agreed. So, Playboy built a set to look like a set from the film and shot them going at it again for the magazine. So, I don't think Playboy was on the set shooting stills while Scorsese shot his film. I've never seen the Playboy photo shoot but I remember the story was they were even more...um...generous with what they wanted to do for Playboy's cameras.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I believe the story I read on the photo shoot for Playboy was that because Hershey and Carradine had been open about the fact that they actually had sex for the film that Playboy asked if they would have sex for their cameras as well...and of course they agreed. So, Playboy built a set to look like a set from the film and shot them going at it again for the magazine. So, I don't think Playboy was on the set shooting stills while Scorsese shot his film. I've never seen the Playboy photo shoot but I remember the story was they were even more...um...generous with what they wanted to do for Playboy's cameras.

I will agree to that except the spread also had stills from the film intermixed.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Is it known if they forgot any of their lines?

Ha, I don't think the dialogue was what they were focused on in those sessions...and Marty probably lost track of whatever they were saying...

SCRIPT SUPERVISOR - Marty, they didn't say any of their lines in that shot.

SCORSESE - What? There was supposed to be dialogue in that scene?

SCRIPT SUPERVISOR - Yes, right here... (points to page)

CARRADINE - Was that good, Marty, or do you want us to go again?

SCORSESE - Uh, what, yes, yes go again!

SCRIPT SUPERVISOR - (scratching the dialogue out with a pen) Well, I guess we go with music over these shots.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]
CARRADINE - Was that good, Marty, or do you want us to go again?

SCORSESE - Uh, what, yes, yes go again! [...]

Ah-ha. What this now indicates to me is that Kraft Services had also been present.;)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Of recent releases from TT, I am sensing that "Julia" has yet to be a bigger seller.
I say this due only to the fact that there were such few Posts within RAH's "A Few Words About...Julia -- in Blu ray".
In the year of "Annie Hall", "Star Wars", "The Goodbye Girl" and "The Turning Point"; "Julia" handily competed for Oscars garnering 11 nominations, including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Editing for Walter Murch.
"Julia" won 3 Oscars for Jason Robards, Vanessa Redgrave and Alvin Sargent's screenplay.
It's such a great film of understated artistry from Fred Zinnemann; not to be overlooked.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
N E W S F O R S E P T E M B E R F R O M

Voila_Capture 2016-08-15_10-29-23_AM.jpg

Now on Blu-ray: Al Pacino, Marthe Keller and director Sydney Pollack buckle you into the driver’s seat of a scenic, European-styled romance set in the death-shadowed Formula One racing world.

Bobby Deerfield

Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release

Only 3,000 units available at www.twilighttimemovies.com & www.screenarchives.com

Once they are gone – they are gone!

RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2016

“Brought to life by skillful acting and directing, with all sorts of good stuff in it: Al Pacino and Marthe Keller, auto racing and a beautiful woman dying tragically, lots of wistful music and the landscapes of France, Italy, and Switzerland.”

– Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“An often sensitive and rather death-obsessed character study…offset by the definite chemistry between the leads…Pacino is at his best: precise, internal, magnetically cute.” – Dan Callahan, Slant Magazine

Intelligently directed by Sidney Pollack (The Way We Were), Bobby Deerfield (1977) is a romantic melodrama starring the beautiful young Al Pacino as an American driver on the European racing circuit who falls in love with an impulsive eccentric (Marthe Keller). Their love affair takes on added depth when she challenges his sullen introversion – and when he discovers her tragic secret. Highlighted by Henri Decaë’s dreamy cinematography and a lovely score from the great Dave Grusin, available here as an isolated track.

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

From Ken Follett’s best-seller comes a suspenseful World War II thriller with Donald Sutherland as a fugitive German agent and Kate Nelligan as the resilient woman standing in the way of his mission, all-new on glistening Blu-ray with its ravishing Miklós Rózsa score on an Isolated Track.

EYE OF THE NEEDLE

Only 3,000 units available at www.twilighttimemovies.com & www.screenarchives.com

“An ambitious, energetic thriller…and an extremely well-acted one. Suspenseful all the way…the story balances beautifully between romance and intrigue.”

– Janet Maslin, The New York Times

“Made with quiet competence, it will remind some viewers of the Hitchcock who made The Thirty-Nine Steps and Foreign Correspondent. Effective…deliberate… complex.” – Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

Based on Ken Follett’s best-seller, Eye of the Needle (1981) is a moody thriller set during the waning days of World War II and focusing on a ruthless Nazi spy (Donald Sutherland) operating covertly in England. Discovering vital information about the upcoming D-Day invasion, he plots a return to Germany, only to be stranded on an island off the coast of Scotland; there, his icy resolve is disturbed by an unexpected relationship with a woman (Kate Nelligan) living in isolation with her bitter disabled husband (Christopher Cazenove). Directed by Richard Marquand (Return of the Jedi), and featuring a superlative score by the legendary Miklós Rózsa, available on this Twilight Time release as an isolated track.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Charles Bronson and Jill Ireland headline writer/directpr Frank D. Gilroy’s charming shaggy-dog story of a Western outlaw legend whose reputation becomes his undoing, taking aim on Blu-ray.

FROM NOON

TILL THREE

“A whimsical Western romance. We don’t expect Bronson to make small talk, to be charming, to sweep a pretty woman off her feet – but that’s what he does in From Noon Till Three. And he does it with a certain rugged grace.”

– Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“An ebulliently cheerful satire of contemporary myth-making and celebrity, cast as a fable of the Old West…its intelligence and its narrative shape are immensely satisfying.” – Vincent Canby, The New York Times

Writer-director Frank D. Gilroy (The Subject Was Roses) gives us, in From Noon Till Three (1976), an atypical Charles Bronson Western that’s also a clever meditation on myth versus reality. Bronson plays a reluctant desperado whose three-hour tryst with a lovely widow (Jill Ireland) is turned into the stuff of legend when he is mistakenly reported dead. Gorgeously shot by Lucien Ballard (The Wild Bunch), and highlighted by a superb Elmer Bernstein score, available on this Twilight Time release as an isolated track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks