1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Twilight Time August/September Release Announcement (Updated)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 27 Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2019
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Peter Keller, benbess and PMF like this.
  2. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Hmmm ..... since both Tall Men and Whirlpool (both previously announced as August releases) have been pushed back to September, can I assume they are now the September releases and there will be no further TT announcements until they reveal an October slate next month?

PGB and PMF like this.
  3. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    That would be very disappointing .

4. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I wonder how thing are going at TT without Mr. Redman, and whether Julie & Co. will continue trying to acquire and release Blu-rays into the future. I recall Mr. Redman saying years ago that TT was never expected to last more than a few years, and I am wondering if these last months with fewer and fewer titles means that the company may be winding down. Hope not, but it has, after all, lost one of their major cornerstones. Nick and Julie were certainly giving us some amazing stuff that few of us ever expected to see in HD, and for that I am eternally grateful.

lionel59, philip*eric, PGB and 11 others like this.
  5. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    I sense that as well. Hopefully they will continue in Nick's honor.

Mark Cappelletty, Suzanne.S and PMF like this.
  6. commander richardson

commander richardson Second Unit

martyn
    if there even is an October slate ........

Richard M S likes this.
  7. Message #7 of 27 Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I hope not too :( but all good things come to an end and with the loss of Mr. Redman perhaps the heart of TT is gone. After all the complaints about the recent Betty Grable transfers, I can see TT just throwing their hands in the air and saying, "Why bother anymore? It's just not worth it." What started out as a labor of love to put out some less commercial classic films out on DVD and later blu ray has fallen prey to the diminishing returns of physical media as well as, "Not at that price, I'll wait for a sale" mentality and let's face it, some titles (like Beloved Infidel for example) are still not sold out after years of being "on sale".

The demise of TT (if it is winding down, this is all speculation at this point) would be a major loss to collectors and leaves only Kino Lorber, Shout Factory, Arrow and Criterion to carry on but with Criterion moving on to streaming, how much longer will they continue to fund physical media ("Why buy it, I'll just watch it on the Criterion channel")?

8. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

Criterion Collection has been streaming for years and is not about to stop releasing bluray et al. However, TT has indeed lost their heart and soul in Mr. Redman. His enthusiam and pride in what TT was releasing or about to release was quite evident on the TT Facebook page and well as other forums. His absence plus a changing industry landscape will surely make it difficult to carry on. I truly hope I'm wrong.

9. Message #9 of 27 Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Being that Twilight Time is not a cooperation; but, rather, an intimate and tightly knit crew;
    I suspect that their period of adjustment will be as equal to anyone else's who has ever faced such a personal loss.
    And learning to do the work of an absent other has surely never been an overnight fix.

Without a doubt, everyone here is rooting for the continuation and success of Twilight Time;
    but, IMHO, if it's forward that they are intending, then patience from our end may be required for many more months.

10. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    I'm willing to toe the line for awhile. I hope many good things are coming our way via TT in the next few months.

11. BRAD1963

BRAD1963 Supporting Actor

BRAD
    Per another web page. It seems logical this would be the reason. Replication facilities have been closing and it has effected production for everyone.

Here are the REVISED Twilight Time release announcements for August and September 2019, courtesy of the Home Theater Forum.

THE PRESIDENT'S LADY (1953) BLU-RAY -- August 20

WILD IN THE COUNTRY (1961) BLU-RAY -- August 20

Reconfirming, now for September:

THE TALL MEN (1955) BLU-RAY -- September 17

WHIRLPOOL (1949) BLU-RAY -- September 17

No new titles announced. I will update as more information becomes available. Looks like there were unexpected production delays on some releases.

philip*eric likes this.
  12. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I bought Beloved Infidel when it first came out and I don't regret that even though it has since been discounted. The film was slaughtered by the critics so it's not surprising that it has taken a long time for the disc to find appreciative buyers. For those who have not yet bought it: it's a superb disc with excellent picture quality.

lionel59, PGB, PMF and 1 other person like this.
  13. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    That was my first assumption. I would imagine low-number orders of 3,000 or less would receive last priority at the manufacturing plants.

But whatever the future holds, I am eternally grateful to Nick Redman & Co. for each and every TT release, past, present and future.

14. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    It's been a couple of years since I last bought a TT release (Cat Ballou), they're a wee bit expensive to import to the UK these days, but if a title that I really wanted came up, I wouldn't hesitate. I always check the new releases on a Saturday around the 20th (& at 8am in the UK). Sony (Columbia) titles have been a bit thin on the ground of late, but TT can only release what the studios give them.

Detour (1945), Peter Keller and PMF like this.
  15. commander richardson

commander richardson Second Unit

martyn
    It is good but not good enough as it was released without English Sub-titles and without them I am totally lost.

16. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    And Tom, let's not forget WAC, which, especially lately, has been doing a stellar job getting classics out on Blu.

17. Message #17 of 27 Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Are you sure? I've just looked at the cover and it says "Subtitles: English SDH"

Edit: I've now played the disc and there are definitely English language sub-titles. You're probably thinking of a different disc.

Peter Keller and PMF like this.
  18. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Absolutely but I didn't include WAC because they aren't a boutique label and unlike the others, they have a massive library and don't need to license titles from other companies.

19. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I get that. But they have to choose which films to give us every month. Kinda counts for something.

Peter Keller and PMF like this.
  20. cadavra

cadavra Second Unit

mike schlesinger
    Is Brian Jamieson no longer involved?