What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time Sept/Oct 2016 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Eye Of The Needle and The Chase for sure. I don't need 9 To 5 or Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte on blu, the DVDs are okay with me. There's a couple of truly awful titles in the bunch but I won't name them for fear of offending their fans.
Like "Bobby Dearfield"?-_-

I'll go the route of Bette, Jon and Marlon.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Or they might have better taste in certain films than you do.;) Film appreciation is in the eye of the viewer.

Quite possibly but not in the case of Bobby Deerfield. The film was panned mercilessly when it opened including the New York Times and Pauline Kael and the film has a lowly 22% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. There isn't a bad movie in existence that doesn't have some fans so I'm glad for the Deerfield lovers. I mean I'd wet myself for a blu ray of The Oscar (1966) but I'm fooling myself that it's a good movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Quite possibly but not in the case of Bobby Deerfield. The film was panned mercilessly when it opened including the New York Times and Pauline Kael and the film has a lowly 22% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. There isn't a bad movie in existence that doesn't have some fans so I'm glad for the Deerfield lovers. I mean I'd wet myself for a blu ray of The Oscar (1966) but I'm fooling myself that it's a good movie.
I don't care what the critics think if I like a movie and think it's a good film. My opinion rules my home theater as yours does with your HT setup. As to Bobby Deerfield, I'm not espousing it's quality, but just saying that film appreciation comes in all forms.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I don't care what the critics think if I like a movie and think it's a good film. My opinion rules my home theater as yours does with your HT setup. As to Bobby Deerfield, I'm not espousing it's quality, but just saying that film appreciation comes in all forms.

Well, on that I agree. So I hope I'm allowed to say It's A Wonderful Life and The Grapes Of Wrath are crap without being told they are beloved classics. Like you I don't care what critics think, my opinion rules! I march to the beat of my own drum when it comes to cinema. My reference to Deerfield is that the consensus is that it's a lousy movie. One that I happen to agree with but the consensus on Grapes and Wonderful points in another direction. I get that I'm in the minority.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, on that I agree. So I hope I'm allowed to say It's A Wonderful Life and The Grapes Of Wrath are crap without being told they are beloved classics. Like you I don't care what critics think, my opinion rules! I march to the beat of my own drum when it comes to cinema. My reference to Deerfield is that the consensus is that it's a lousy movie. One that I happen to agree with but the consensus on Grapes and Wonderful points in another direction. I get that I'm in the minority.
You're allowed to express your opinion just like the rest of us. I'm pretty sure there are films you hold in high regard that I don't think are good films. It's the way the film appreciation cookie crumbles, opinions vary.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
One thing to remember about Rotten Tomatoes is that there are very few reviews collated for titles older than the site itself. Deerfield shows nine--granted that even 90 wouldn't push it into "fresh" territory (it wasn't well received), but there's not much of a sampling available. To each his own.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] but not in the case of Bobby Deerfield. The film was panned mercilessly when it opened including the New York Times and Pauline Kael. [...]
I saw "Deerfield" in its first run. I had to, because I didn't believe there was going to be a second run.:lol:
But seriously, folks...due to the fact that KAEL had also destroyed my precious Rosie Ryan;:angry:
along with the fact that Crawdaddy has an appreciation for the film;:D
and that after 38 years, my perspectives may lend itself to change;:mellow:
and that it is was a Pollack/Pacino venture;:cool:
I will remain open to "Bobby Deerfield", once again.:)
Still, such open-mindedness must come with a caveat before purchase.:eek:
I will wait to read the HTF reviews; which will include a reading of the ensuing Posts.:chatter:
Fair? :thumbs-up-smiley:
Hmmm-m-m-m. It's just occurred to me that Thomas T's initials are TT. Coincidence or not?:drum: .

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A Note to Twilight Time:

All lampooning aside, I think its an important thing when hidden, forgotten or overlooked films are brought back to the fore and made available. As it is, there are a good 20 plus titles from the TT catalogue that I am looking forward to purchasing.:)

And of the many TT titles I already own?
Each and every one has looked and sounded just great.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Meanwhile, thanks for giving us all such a fantastic and varied selection to choose from.:cheers:

PMF

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
...especially when TT is having a sale.:)

Just purchased Anastasia; Bound for Glory; The Last Detail; Love is a Many Splendored Thing.

Minor Correction: Screen Archives is having the sale ... they have some titles no longer available from the TT site :cool:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Nonetheless, it was 4 TT products I purchased.:)
Nice catch and thanks for the clarification.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

I practically grew up on the soundtrack from The Oscar (1966) as my stepdad bought that on vinyl and almost wore it out. I recently purchased that same soundtrack on CD (and ripped to digital). Oh and the soundtrack was done by Percy Faith, need I say more?
Never have seen the movie though. Little wonder, it was a total box office bomb.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I practically grew up on the soundtrack from The Oscar (1966) as my stepdad bought that on vinyl and almost wore it out. I recently purchased that same soundtrack on CD (and ripped to digital). Oh and the soundtrack was done by Percy Faith, need I say more?
Never have seen the movie though. Little wonder, it was a total box office bomb.

Does anyone know who holds the rights to this? It never saw the light of day on laser disc or DVD!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It was an Embassy theatrical release, so StudioCanal should hold the copyright and MGM the home video rights. It's been on TCM in the past decade or so in a 1980s-era transfer with a Columbia Pictures Television logo at the beginning! I think they held onto the TV broadcast rights even after Coca-Cola sold Embassy's theatrical film library to Dino DeLaurentiis while keeping the TV shows for themselves.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, a bizarre note on Boxcar Bertha...

The sex scenes between Barbara Hershey and David Carradine are not simulated. The story goes they were lovers at the time of the making of the film, informed Scorsese that they wanted to have sex for real in these scenes, and Scorsese happily filmed them...and ended up with a considerable crush on Hershey who he found a very sexy woman that would be his first choice to play Mary Magdalene in The Last Temptation of Christ. Strange but true.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So, a bizarre note on Boxcar Bertha...

The sex scenes between Barbara Hershey and David Carradine are not simulated. The story goes they were lovers at the time of the making of the film, informed Scorsese that they wanted to have sex for real in these scenes, and Scorsese happily filmed them...and ended up with a considerable crush on Hershey who he found a very sexy woman that would be his first choice to play Mary Magdalene in The Last Temptation of Christ. Strange but true.

AKA Barbara Hershey Seagull ;)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] Scorsese [...] ended up with a considerable crush on Hershey who he found a very sexy woman that would be his first choice to play Mary Magdalene in The Last Temptation of Christ. [...]
And who could blame the guy?:thumbs-up-smiley:
Hmm-m-m-m--m.
Idea for a Chapter Title in a future Scorsese biography: "The First Temptation of Marty".;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks