What's new

How to remove shadow around screen? (1 Viewer)

Kabinski

Auditioning
I just put together my first, entry level home theater set-up. I'm using the Infocus X1 projector. I am completely satisfied with all aspects of the projected image except for one thing. Surrounding the perimeter of the image is a dark grey shadow that measures about 8-10 inches wide. I am projecting from about 12ft. away which displays an 81" diagonal image in 16:9 format. The shadow is very noticeable when the room is completely dark, and less noticeable under more lighted conditions.

Is there a way to eliminate the shadow? Or is this something I'll have to live with coming from a low-priced entry level projector such as the X1?

Thanks!

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
The fact that the X1 is a low price PJ has nothing to do with it. It's the fact the you are watching a 16:9 image with a native 4:3 PJ. The gray bars on top and bottom is the unused portion of the 4:3 panel. Even a top of the line native 4:3 PJ will have the same gray bars when projecting 16:9. A native 16:9 PJ will have these bars on the side when viewing 4:3. Go to the DIY forum and research some masking system you can make to hide the bars. They've come up with some pretty clever ideas over there.

Kabinski

Auditioning
The shadow is still there when I project the native 4:3 image (although not quite as large). I searched a while through the DIY threads but couldn't find what I was looking for. I tried using "masking" and "shadow" among other terms but didn't come up with anything? Any suggestions on a different search word that might help me find what I'm looking for? Thanks.

ZoranM

Stunt Coordinator
If the shadow is still there when you are in 4:3 then it's likely that you are using the zoom feature to bring the image down to fit your screen, which would then shrink your image size but not the light that the PJ throws.

So I think other then a masking system your other option is to increase your screen size and then increase your zoom to its true size (does this make sense?).

I had similar problems with my epson, but luckily since my screen was a Misty evening DYI, I just painted a larger screen and it worked out fine.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Zoran

Kabinski

Auditioning
Doh! That is probably it. If it is I'm gonna feel like a moron. I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks!

Kabinski

Auditioning
Nope. That wasn't it. I called Infocus and they called it "border light." I was told that is one of the reasons velvet (or like materials) is used to surround screens... to absorb the border light. Does this sound legit?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks