What's new

Epson introduces its most advanced Laser Projector to Date: Epson Pro Cinema 4K PRO-UHD LS12000 (2 Viewers)

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
At this particular time, five years is nothing. There have already been too many useless developments in surround gear lately. I doubt anything truly useful is on the way. So, my suggestion is not to throw away money to "save" in the short term. I'd just go ahead and get the 50.

However... don't buy the 50 for the insignificant increase in power over the 60. The reason to buy the 50 is for the additional surround channels.
Sounds good. Any thoughts on good surrounds that won't break the bank? I'll need 6 if I'm getting the 50, as my current setup is a 5.1 and the rear speakers are not good. For reference, I have B+Ws up front.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
I actually agree with your points - I doubt we’re getting an 8K copy protection standard that makes receivers useless in the next few years :)
And I doubt my aging eyes could even tell what 8K looks like. Heck, my wife's eyes are going too, which is the only reason she still finds me attractive.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds good. Any thoughts on good surrounds that won't break the bank? I'll need 6 if I'm getting the 50, as my current setup is a 5.1 and the rear speakers are not good. For reference, I have B+Ws up front.
Well, the Atmos speakers really need to be in/on-ceiling if you want to do it right. That's not always feasible.

My most common budget recommendation is the ELAC Debut v2 line. They have an On-Wall model as well as Bookshelfs. Of course those are currently on sale. I expect they'd make a good match with B&W, though some EQ is probably in order. The room correction should pretty much take care of that.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Well, the Atmos speakers really need to be in/on-ceiling if you want to do it right. That's not always feasible.

My most common budget recommendation is the ELAC Debut v2 line. They have an On-Wall model as well as Bookshelfs. Of course those are currently on sale. I expect they'd make a good match with B&W, though some EQ is probably in order. The room correction should pretty much take care of that.
Great. Thank you so much for your time! Much appreciated. I'll look into them. I will be able to do in-ceiling, as I'm adding a faux beam around the location I'd add the ceiling speakers. So that will work well.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Great. Thank you so much for your time! Much appreciated. I'll look into them. I will be able to do in-ceiling, as I'm adding a faux beam around the location I'd add the ceiling speakers. So that will work well.
There are Debut in-ceiling speakers as well.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Boo. The soonest I can pick up the 5050ub is Friday December 8th. I spoke with a fella and asked about the LS12000 - I can get that on December 1st. Talk about impatience if I was willing to spend 2X the cost for a projector just to save 7 days!

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Be strong Jason!

Use the time to get the receiver and speakers set up and then when the PJ arrives everything else will be ready to go.
Yeah - and on that note - my wife is out of town on the estimated date of arrival of the receiver from accessories4less. She leaves the day before that estimated date (Dec 4), and doesn't come back for a week. So I didn't make the purchase yet. I have to wait until this Monday morning to call accessories4less to see if I can schedule them to bring the receiver after she comes back or on my day off that week - Weds Dec 6th. Hopefully, the refurbished Cinema 50 won't be out of stock by Monday morning when I get to call them. And hopefully, they'll be able to accommodate a specific delivery date.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
8K is beyond absurd for home use.
Question - my wife is going to be out of town for the entire week of the estimated date of delivery for the refurbished Cinema 50. The only day I'm off from work that week is Weds (2 days after the estimated date). I will call them on Monday and see if they can deliver on a specific date or if I can make the purchase and they can wait to deliver it until after my wife returns. I don't want the package sitting on the front porch all day, you know? Especially during the holidays.

I'm of course worried that all the refurbished 50s will blow out the door between now and Monday morning. I'm sure that won't be the case. But I don't want to order it now and then them not be able to change the arrival date parameters.

Oh - so - the question - since you've dealt with them already, A) do you think it's likely the 50 will still be in stock this Monday morning, and B) if I ordered today - do you know if they are able to accommodate a delivery date request like mine?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Question - my wife is going to be out of town for the entire week of the estimated date of delivery for the refurbished Cinema 50. The only day I'm off from work that week is Weds (2 days after the estimated date). I will call them on Monday and see if they can deliver on a specific date or if I can make the purchase and they can wait to deliver it until after my wife returns. I don't want the package sitting on the front porch all day, you know? Especially during the holidays.

I'm of course worried that all the refurbished 50s will blow out the door between now and Monday morning. I'm sure that won't be the case. But I don't want to order it now and then them not be able to change the arrival date parameters.

Oh - so - the question - since you've dealt with them already, A) do you think it's likely the 50 will still be in stock this Monday morning, and B) if I ordered today - do you know if they are able to accommodate a delivery date request like mine?
A) There's no way to know the answer to that.

B) In my experience, shipping departments are rarely equipped to handle that type of special request, even though CS might claim to try. In that situation, I try to find another solution. Such as having it sent to a neighbor who can receive it, have it sent to work, or maybe have it sent to a carrier pick-up location. UPS and FedEx both have pick-up locations these days, but the shipper has to have that option.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
A) There's no way to know the answer to that.

B) In my experience, shipping departments are rarely equipped to handle that type of special request, even though CS might claim to try. In that situation, I try to find another solution. Such as having it sent to a neighbor who can receive it, have it sent to work, or maybe have it sent to a carrier pick-up location. UPS and FedEx both have pick-up locations these days, but the shipper has to have that option.
Oh well. That's too bad. We just moved so we don't know our neighbors well, but I know they both work. Sending to my work isn't an option. I'll ask them about the pick up locations. Hopefully that will be an option. Otherwise, I may just have to wait until she gets back from the trip and hope it's still in stock.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Well, the projector and surround speakers have been purchased, and now I wait until tomorrow morning to hopefully find a solution for the receiver to get to me. Here's hoping there is still one in stock.

There wasn't any place in the order form that allowed for the package to be sent to a FedEx pickup site. Maybe when I call they'll be able to provide that sort of delivery option. The only other options are A) ordering now and hoping no one nabs the package from the front porch if my wife is away already, or B) they can wait to deliver until after she returns.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, the projector and surround speakers have been purchased, and now I wait until tomorrow morning to hopefully find a solution for the receiver to get to me. Here's hoping there is still one in stock.

There wasn't any place in the order form that allowed for the package to be sent to a FedEx pickup site. Maybe when I call they'll be able to provide that sort of delivery option. The only other options are A) ordering now and hoping no one nabs the package from the front porch if my wife is away already, or B) they can wait to deliver until after she returns.
The thing about shipping is once FedEx or UPS picks up the shipment, it' pretty much out of A4L's hands. Both FedEx and UPS have free delivery management options you sign up for with them. I should have thought of this earlier. I'm signed up for both, but I just them to know when something is arriving. However, I believe they also offer options to have your shipments held, or redirected to a local pick-up location.

So, you could sign up for that with FedEx now, and see what your options are. It's called Fedex Delivery Manager. As I said, UPS also has it. There might be a fee to redirect a shipment, but I believe it's rather minimal and would be worth it in this case.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, I looked at the options with FedEx. Once something is shipped, you receive a notification. Then you can log in and select to have it held for pickup at one of a variety of locations for free, or you can schedule it for a specific delivery date for a fee, which it says starts at $5.55 but is calculated when you make the request.

The pickup option is probably best for you, and details are HERE.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
OK, I looked at the options with FedEx. Once something is shipped, you receive a notification. Then you can log in and select to have it held for pickup at one of a variety of locations for free, or you can schedule it for a specific delivery date for a fee, which it says starts at $5.55 but is calculated when you make the request.

The pickup option is probably best for you, and details are HERE.
Thank you so much for all the info! I'm going to order the receiver now and sign up with the FedEx delivery manager. Hopefully, by Friday Dec 8th, all of the items will be in and by that Sunday, we'll be watching on the whole new system!

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Sheesh. So after spending an hour trying to get FedEx to send me an activation code for FedEx delivery manager and failing, as well as attempting to speak with an honest-to-goodness human being on their "customer support" line, I called accessories4less and the fine gentleman there said, no worries - they'll take care of it. So the Cinema 50 should arrive on or around Mon Dec 4th and be held for pickup. Whew.

When all is said and done, the final piece of the new theater package (the projector) should arrive for pickup on Friday, Dec 8th! By then, everything will be set up (speakers/Marantz sound calibration/etc), and all I'll need to do is plug the projector in, calibrate, and we're a go.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a super late evening on Friday as I tinker with everything and then spend way too many hours putting on reference material. I have my usual 10hr shift on Saturday, and my wife returns from Hawaii on that Sat too, so we're obviously not going to be firing up the system that night. Our first official screening will be Sunday Dec 10th. I can't wait!

Thank you all for such detailed information and fantastic advice. I'm know we're going to be so happy with the new set up. We rearranged the entire theater room last night to the new position of the screen and furniture after we finished painting (dark granite coloring - beautiful, rich, dark brown on walls and ceiling). The new setup is SO much better. Knocking that wall down really added so much to the overall space.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sheesh. So after spending an hour trying to get FedEx to send me an activation code for FedEx delivery manager and failing
Well, I have no idea what went on there. I set mine up about a month ago, and it took all of 30 seconds.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And BTW @JasonRoer , what I keep saying about Marantz equipment is, it just works. A LOT of gear these days doesn't quite work right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks