What's new

Epson introduces its most advanced Laser Projector to Date: Epson Pro Cinema 4K PRO-UHD LS12000 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

epson-ls12000-pro-2-768x768.jpg

Epson Takes Home Theater Viewing to New Levels with its Most Advanced Laser Projector to Date - the Epson Pro Cinema 4K PRO-UHD¹ LS12000​

Epson Pro Cinema LS12000 Delivers Awe-Inspiring 4K Viewing Experiences that Faithfully Reproduces Content Worthy of its Creators
Epson logo (PRNewsfoto/Epson America, Inc.)

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Epson America, Inc.
Feb 15, 2022, 03:01 ET

LOS ALAMITOS, Calif., Feb. 15, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- As demand for home entertainment continues to surge, Epsontoday introduced its most advanced home theater projector to date – the Epson Pro Cinema LS12000 4K PRO-UHD®1 Laser Projector. The Pro Cinema LS12000 redefines 4K theater-quality expectations for home theater viewing, faithfully reproducing all source material the way the artist intended. Incorporating an all-new Laser Array Light Source, next-generation image enhancement and processing algorithms, expanded HDR10+2 and HDMI 2.1 support, and real-time scene adaptive correction, the Pro Cinema LS12000 produces incredible brightness, color accuracy and image detail for stunning 4K viewing experiences and immersive gaming.
"Home theater enthusiasts have been asking what's next, and we are proud to deliver our best Pro Cinema projector to date, producing a full 8.3 million pixels on screen with zero compromise in color and brightness," said Rodrigo Catalan, group product manager, projectors, Epson. "Engineered with creators in mind, the Epson Pro Cinema LS12000 sets new technology benchmarks for 4K HDR viewing experiences. It's truly a 'must see it to believe it' home theater experience."
Driven by a proprietary Epson ZX Picture Processor and new precision shift glass plate technology, the Pro Cinema LS12000 delivers an exceptionally sharp and clear 4K picture with an astonishing 2,700 lumens of both color and white brightness.3 Additional features include:
  • 4K PRO-UHD1 – Advanced pixel-shifting technology works in parallel with three individual high-definition LCD chips to produce an exceptionally sharp 4K picture without sacrificing picture brightness
  • Precision Shift Glass Plate Technology – Unique digitally controlled Precision Shift Glass Plate precisely refracts pixel-light to display a 3840 x 2160, 8.29-million-pixel image for an exceptionally sharp and clear 4K picture
  • Epson ZX Picture Processor – Our most advanced video processing technology to date, the proprietary 36-bit Epson ZX Picture Processor handles real-time color, contrast, HDR,2 frame interpolation and resolution enhancement to faithfully reproduce the source material the way it was intended to be shown
  • Laser Array Light Source – True multi-array laser diodes produce an ideal light source to power the unique 3-Chip 3LCD Projector Engine for quick turn-on, incredible picture brightness, black contrast and color accuracy
  • High Picture Brightness – Impressive 2,700 lumens of color and 2,700 lumens of white brightness3 for an exceptional picture in virtually any theater environment – even in rooms with ambient light
  • True 3-Chip 3LCD Projector Engine – Advanced 3LCD technology uses three individual LCD chips to continuously display 100 percent of the RGB color signal for every frame; this allows for outstanding color gamut while maintaining excellent brightness without any rainbowing or color brightness issues seen with other projection technologies
  • Impressive HDR – Full 10-bit HDR2 color processing accepting 100 percent of the HDR source information to faithfully reproduce HDR, HDR10+ and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) content for an exceptional visual performance; real-time HDR curve adjustment allows for 16 steps of control to fine-tune the HDR performance regardless of the content
  • 120 Hz Refresh Rate – Refresh rates up to 120 Hz allow for smoother motion for supported content while providing the option for impressive Frame Interpolation for content below 120 Hz
  • Epic for Gaming – Gaming up to 4K at 120 frames per second, along with input lag times below 20 ms, allow for serious gamers to take full advantage of the latest generation of gaming consoles and even higher-end gaming PCs
Availability
The Epson Pro Cinema LS12000 4K PRO-UHD1 Laser Projector (MSRP $4,999) is now available through the Epson online store and Magnolia and CEDIA dealers. The projector includes ISF-certified calibration tools and Anamorphic lens option. The new projector come with Epson's world-class warranty and support, including a standard three-year limited warranty with two-business-day full unit replacement, including free shipping, and free lifetime technical phone support.
About Epson
Epson is a global technology leader dedicated to co-creating sustainability and enriching communities by leveraging its efficient, compact, and precision technologies and digital technologies to connect people, things, and information. The company is focused on solving societal issues through innovations in home and office printing, commercial and industrial printing, manufacturing, visual and lifestyle. Epson's goal is to become carbon negative and eliminate use of exhaustible underground resources such as oil and metal by 2050.
Led by the Japan-based Seiko Epson Corporation, the worldwide Epson Group generates annual sales of around JPY 1 trillion. global.epson.com/
Epson America, Inc., based in Los Alamitos, Calif., is Epson's regional headquarters for the U.S., Canada, and Latin America. To learn more about Epson, please visit: epson.com. You may also connect with Epson America on Facebook (facebook.com/Epson), Twitter (twitter.com/EpsonAmerica), YouTube (youtube.com/epsonamerica), and Instagram (instagram.com/EpsonAmerica).
1 4K Resolution Enhancement Technology shifts each pixel to produce an image on screen, up to the stated specification.
2 HDR performance available with select devices. For more information, see www.epson.com/hdrcompatibility
3 Color brightness (color light output) and white brightness (white light output) will vary depending on usage conditions. Color light output measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4; white light output measured in accordance with ISO 21118.

epson-ls12000-pro-3-2000x789.jpg epson-ls12000-pro-4-2000x772.jpg epson-ls12000-pro-5-2000x730.jpg
(Click on above photos for larger images)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not native 4K. Uses pixel shifting to generate 4K image. Nothing regarding 3D support. Too bad, because the laser light source sounded promising given the MSRP.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Time marches on. I knew it would just be a matter of time before Epson responded to the latest JVC product line. I do realize these probably won't be quite on par with those [contrast, black levels, etc.] but I think they'll strike a nice balance between features people really care about and prices people are reasonably willing to pay.

Not native 4K. Uses pixel shifting to generate 4K image. Nothing regarding 3D support. Too bad, because the laser light source sounded promising given the MSRP.

I don't think 3D will be an issue as the design doesn't appear radically different than previous Epson Pro Cinema models which all support 3D. I tend to agree with you regarding native 4K though. Since I already have the pixel-shifting 6050, I can't see investing in a new unit that still uses it.

@Ronald Epstein - I'd also welcome the chance to review one and possibly eat my words. ;)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Looks like I spoke too soon. Found the spec sheet and no mention of 3D. That is a bummer.

Attachments

• Pro_Cinema_LS12000_Projector_Specification_Sheet_CPD-61060R1.pdf
    895.3 KB · Views: 131

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm sure that it is fine, but that is still going to be close to a 6000 dollar Canadian projector. At that price I would want it to be native 4K and to know that it supports all legacy formats.
You can’t always get what you want. But, if you try, you’ll find sometimes that you get what you need.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Look, I was in the “no faux 4K camp” for years. I was wrong. And I freely admit it. Terribly, horribly wrong and I was wrong with no evidence to support my belief.

Anyone who is still against it hasn’t actually seen one running in person. It is absolutely imperceptible and not a single reviewer or buyer has ever claimed differently. It’s only the lizard brain stuck on it, not reality.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Look, I was in the “no faux 4K camp” for years. I was wrong. And I freely admit it. Terribly, horribly wrong and I was wrong with no evidence to support my belief.

Anyone who is still against it hasn’t actually seen one running in person. It is absolutely imperceptible and not a single reviewer or buyer has ever claimed differently. It’s only the lizard brain stuck on it, not reality.

That's probably largely because just about nobody normally sits close enough to their screen to fully resolve native 4K even if the image actually has true 4K resolution (and most content probably doesn't quite have true 4K rez very much of the time either) -- probably need to have 20/20 vision at viewing distance of no more than 10ft for a 150-160" 16x9 diagonal display to fully resolve 4K, and seriously doubt too many are sitting close enough for that... plus there also seems an intrinsic dulling effect of projected image that also blurs the delineation some bit that might make differentiation harder... so you probably have to sit substantially closer than that (or have significantly better than 20/20 vision) for differences to be all that apparent most of the time given all the variables involved...

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I value your take on this , Sam. I think my personal reticence is due to me never having seen a side-by-side comparison of good faux K and true 4K. Maybe I need to see about fixing that.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The “full” 4ks are now doing faux 8k so the cycle continues.
Faux 8K doesn't concern me much because the amount of 8K material available is virtually zero and I don't see that situation changing much. There is little enough actual 4K material as it is.

There may be little noticeable difference between Faux K and native 4K. It is a matter of preference and at 6 grand my preference is that the panels be able to do native 4K, rather than use a software/hardware solution to shift pixels.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Glad to see this finally announced in the US. I really wish they'd included 3D. Argh.

There is an LS11000 model (currently available in Europe) with slightly lower specs (2500 lumens instead of 2700, only comes in white). Wonder if that will be coming here too.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m excited to learn more, get reviews, and hopefully find a demo or two of this. Given the 4K projector reality in 2022, this is now on my short list for possible upgrade.

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
So the question is, can I feed it true 4K, like from a 4K Blu-ray disc or does it only take 2K and convert it?

Also, no Dolby Vision? If you're gonna have HDR, HDR-10 and HLG, why stop there? There are plenty of sources that use Dolby Vision...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So the question is, can I feed it true 4K, like from a 4K Blu-ray disc or does it only take 2K and convert it?

Also, no Dolby Vision? If you're gonna have HDR, HDR-10 and HLG, why stop there? There are plenty of sources that use Dolby Vision...
It shows 4K content.

Projectors don’t do Dolby Vision. Dolby hasn’t created a DV spec for projectors.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
  • Epson ZX Picture Processor – Our most advanced video processing technology to date, the proprietary 36-bit Epson ZX Picture Processor handles real-time color, contrast, HDR,2 frame interpolation and resolution enhancement to faithfully reproduce the source material the way it was intended to be shown
$1000 price increase over the 5050. Key for me is how well this does HDR, if it has a competent tone mapping solution; and if the black levels are acceptable for its price.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

It takes a 4K signal, but the panels are not native 4K. The projector shifts pixels to create a "4K" image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks