What's new

Beginner Question about screens (1 Viewer)

mano9423

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Okay, here's the deal! I have searched everywhere for some info on this and it seems it's not a very common request! Haha. Even a couple of local home theatre shops wouldn't really answer the questions, so hopefully someone here can help me.

My setup is simple...I have an Optoma GT1090HDRx projector. It's a short throw laser projector (not a UST) with a throw ration of 0.5:1 and rated for about 4000 ANSI lumens, although that's surely not the actual number. With this projector, I want to occasionally set it up outside in the late evenings to watch sports or movies. I currently have a cheap, manual pull down, 120" white screen that is mounted on an exterior wall. After 2 pm, there is no direct sunlight that hits this wall. The projector sits about 4' or so from the wall while projecting and while the image is visible on my current screen before it gets dark, it is, of course, very washed out.

The questions I have is will I see any reasonable improvement with a different screen? If so, which would be best? Ideally, I would like another manual pull down option. I have read that grey screens will offer better contrast with significant ambient light, but it's very difficult to find any info on which screens are best for this type of projector. Most grey screens seem designed for either long throw projectors or the UST projectors. Is this because they typically have some form of ALR qualities that make them incompatible with this type of standard short throw projector? Should I be looking for a high gain or a low gain screen to achieve my goal?

I am not expecting miracles from a screen here. I know that I will always have to live with a sub par picture pre-dusk, but if I can make even a small improvement to the contrast in the evening when the screen is in shadow, I would be happy. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Mano

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks