What's new

How important are clothes to you? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
frederick! my brotha!
I'm about 6'3 240 ish but rapidly closing on 260 ;)
not in a good way either.. I'm in your boat, not quite as tall, I can find a 40/36 at the mall USUALLY but nothing bigger, I feel your pain :frowning:

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Well just a few years ago I went through that horrible middle school phase of "Hey, I have to buy expensive brand-name clothes so I can look like the cool kids and fit in," but have since (mercifully, thankfully) gotten past that. Now I just by shirts for my teams (Ravens and Terps) and whatever khaki shorts are on sale at Target.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Give me a pair of Levi's 501 relaxed fit a T-shirt and I am on my way.
I could care less about what clothes I wear, c'mon I leave by the beach, it's all casual.
Peace Out~:D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I'm with Ron, Levi's are perfect, they are durable etc.
Living by the beach, it's usually shorts,t-shirts and sandals 9 mos out of the year.
I don't care about brand names so much as quality, which sometimes equals brand names, I never ever skimp on footwear, I am on my feet 12 hrs a day

Redback Australian Work Boots
Airwalk, DVS or Van's for sneaks
Birkenstock for Sandals
Doc Marten's for Dress

shirts- I get anywhere from thrift stores to major dept.
underwear and socks- whatever is on sale at Walmart
Pants- Levi's and Dickie's exclusively

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
In this day and age, when fashion and how you look are so central to out culture, how carefully do you choose your clothes?

Not very. I pefected my "look" years ago. I just add new tattoos every now and then. I wouldn't worry too-much about our "culture", since it seems to say that you can wear jockey-shorts 24/7 so long as you have 4% body fat.

How important is fashion sense?

I have a cartoon mentality. I usually wear the same thing every day (I have multiple pairs.. I do wash stuff). At work it's jeans and a uniform blue shirt, at home, jeans and a black T-shirt. Jeans and black T-shirt will probably not go out of style until long after I'm dead.
If I'm not wearing that, something must be up.....

Do brand names matter?

You get what you pay for. $20 old navy jeans aren't worth the cotton they're made from. A pair of Levi's will cost maybe twice that and last several years. I'm also particular about my boots, gotta have magnums.

Designer clothes - waste of money or worthwhile statement?

Depends what your asking. If your asking my opinion of clothing that carries some rock-stars name on it (Ala J-Lo), No. But if your shopping for a hand-taliored suite, chances are you work somewhere that won't allow you to show-up for work in a $200 JCPenney suite.

What's the most important factor when buying an item of clothing? Cut? Colour? Make?

Price, quality

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I refuse to wear clothes with a big brand name plastered on the front or back...I'm no frikin' billboard. You want me to spend "How Much" on "What" so I can blend in with herd mentality.

I must say though that the marketing people at the major labels such as Tommy Hilfiger, Nike and the like are geniuses. It amazes me how they manipulate people into wearing their merchandise without paying anything for the free advertising.

Now as for designer clothing, at this present time I can't afford it and even if I could, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for most of the items off the rack. Lucky for me I have a background in clothing design and tailoring, so not only do I know how much it costs to produce a garment, but I can copy the styles and cuts that I like.

I guess it's all relative. If you're making 6 figures a year, plunking down $450 for a pair of Zegna corduroy trousers may seem like pocket change.

But from what I see time and time again, money buys fashion, not style.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What I wear depends on which role I am playing at the time.

I wear suits to work, as I frequently deal with clients who believe that I am more expert and knowledgeable, wearing a suit.

I wear khaki shorts and a knit shirt or t-shirt at home, changing to jeans or khaki slacks if its cool. And then a long sleeve (probably plaid—sometimes wool) shirt and/or a sweater (jumper for you Paul). Sandals in the summer and light walking boots in the winter.

I am likely to put on a silk sport coat or navy blazer (no tie) over jeans or khakis if I’m going out for a casual dinner or movie with my wife. And before anyone starts, it worked for the girls when I was single and it still works today. Probably boat shoes or cowboy boots with this.

Tux for formal wear (this is still the best way to get a girl). My advice is to learn to tie a bow tie. Nothing like uniting it at about 1 am, just to prove to those left that it was not done by a machine.

Suits for work-related functions, weddings, funerals, etc.

I buy quality clothes and shoes. This does not necessarily mean designer labels. I won’t wear a logo (perhaps other than Levi or Lee) on anything.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm a computer programmer.
Me too! :D
I really don't care about fashion one bit. For work, I wear Dockers and a decent shirt but that's only because I can't wear jeans and a t-shirt at my current job. Outside of work it's mainly jeans and a t-shirt. I buy my clothes strictly for comfort. My jeans are mostly Levi's, Gap and CKs. Is CK considered fashionable? I wouldn't know. I buy them because I like the way they fit and I get them cheap at the outlet store. I don't worry about getting dates because I'm already married. My wife buys me fashionable shirts once in a while and I wear them when we go out. She buys them because she knows that I never would. :)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I like my clothes to be clean, fit reasonably well and not make me look like a complete idiot. I don't care about brands, price or fashion.

I wear a golf shirt and jeans or khaki pants to work. At home I mostly wear shorts and a t-shirt.

/Mike

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
A good pair of khaki shorts, some comfy T's, my broken-in pair of Nike's, and my trusty baseball cap is all I need! Besides, after dressing up every day for work, who cares about making a fashion statement.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Professionally, I like to dress my very best. I 90% of the time where a suit. Generally Hart Shafner Marx, I like french cuff shirts (heavily startched), and I must have a dozen pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes.

Around the house and after hours, for example right now I am wearing just some khaki shorts and a Michigan State T-shirt and addidas shoes.

People at work at work kid me that after hours, I am a moving MSU bookstore model. But as the Beach Boys said, be true to your school.

So I guess my answer is this, my clothes are situational depedent. At work -- rigid. At home... t-shirt and jeans or shorts.

A good pair of khaki shorts, some comfy T's, my broken-in pair of Nike's, and my trusty baseball cap is all I need! Besides, after dressing up every day for work, who cares about making a fashion statement.
A man after my own heart.

-- Matt

Dan B

Screenwriter
I agree with the other guys who are happy with inexpensive clothes. Comfort is the most important thing to me. There's nothing I find more comfortable than an inexpensive pair of jeans...I'm not partial to any brand either. :emoji_thumbsup:
I do buy quality shoes, though. Lately I have been buying Rockports for walking shoes & some of the nicer Nike for tennis shoes. They tend to last me longer than other brands I've tried anyway, so the extra money is worth it to me, not to mention I am more comfortable in them.
-Dan

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
People at work at work kid me that after hours, I am a moving MSU bookstore model. But as the Beach Boys said, be true to your school.
It's funny you should say that. Most of my T's are UGA shirts. I guess I can't let go of those college years. :D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
frederick! my brotha!
I'm about 6'3 240 ish but rapidly closing on 260
not in a good way either.. I'm in your boat, not quite as tall, I can find a 40/36 at the mall USUALLY but nothing bigger, I feel your pain
Well, at 6'3, 255, you can welcome another member of the too big for regular stores, too small for big an tall club.

I am too preocuppied with finding my size to worry about the name.

Brand names come in handy when you want to look dressy without actually being dressy: A simple t-shirt with some elegant name on it (not Nike) will make you look much better dressed than a plain one of the same color.

--
Holadem

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'm rather bi-polar when it comes to clothing, as I don't spend much on some items, yet quite a lot on others.

One could say I have three basic "uniforms."

My first "uniform" consists of 100% cotton Levi jeans ($25 on sale at Mervyn's), a 100% cotton solid colour t-shirt ($5 on sale at Mervyn's), and Nike (last year's style at Big-5 for $30) or Dr. Martin shoes ($130 at Nordstrom's). All these items are far from fancy, but they're well made, comfortable, durable, and inexpensive.

My second "uniform" consists of 100% cotton chinos, usually Dockers or Gap brand ($30 on sale), 100% cotton oxford shirts ($10-$40 on sale from various mid-level department stores), a good leather belt ($30-$80 on sale) and the above-mentioned Dr. Martin or Allen Edmonds shoes ($200 on sale at Nordstroms).

My third "uniform" consists of a 100% wool suit from Hickey Freeman or Hart Schaffner and Marx ($400-$800 on sale), well made 100% cotton dress shirts ($30-$100 on sale), a well made 100% silk tie ($20-$80 on sale), and the above-mentioned leather belts and Allen Edmonds shoes.

Watches are also important to one's attire, and I have a similar bi-polar attitude about them; I wear a quartz Swiss Army Brand watch 95% of the time, but I have an Angelus Chronodate, an Omega Constellation, and a Patek Philippe Calatrava for more formal attire.

Comfort, quality, material, and especially the country of manufacture are important to me when I buy clothing, which is why I make a great effort to buy North American or European-made items. That said, most of my t-shirts, oxford shirts, and tennis shoes are made in third world countries. When it comes to clothing, like anything, buy quality and keep it longer. Stay away from trends and you'll be fine.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Over the summer, I bought a couple shirts, 3 pairs of jeans, and a pair of sneakers - the most clothes I have bought in such a time span in the past couple of years. That should tell you I don't have any fashion sense.

The only thing is with jeans, I need to buy Levi's, so that's where I splurge, otherwise I buy what's on sale, like an $8 T-shirt I got at Old Navy a couple weeks ago.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I'd say I'm definitely into fashion more than the other guys here.
It's not about the brand name, it's about finding a nice style that you're into, and then finding the right clothes to piece together. Good clothes and good style don't have to be "uncomfortable" either.
At school, I'm usually mixing stuff from Abercrombie and Structure (now Express for Men). Gap, American Eagle, and Banana Republic are also nice.
The buzz right now is that Hollister has some great clothes. I'll be picking up a couple things in there for the first time this week.
I just like to look good. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks