How important are clothes to you?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

In this day and age, when fashion and how you look are so central to out culture, how carefully do you choose your clothes?
    How important is fashion sense?
    Do brand names matter?
    Designer clothes - waste of money or worthwhile statement?
    What's the most important factor when buying an item of clothing? Cut? Colour? Make?
    I'm just interested to see how different people see these questions. You can tell by walking down the street that different people have varying/no fashion sense. But does it matter?

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Well I like to wear them since they keep me warm & I dont think I could handle living in a nudist colony. [​IMG]
    Ok so thats probably not what you meant by your header but I had to get that in.
    Kind of important when what you wear makes the first impression on someone else you are meeting. Its a statement and can often IMO tell a lot about someone. (not to say all people)
    Do brand names matter?
    Not IMO. Buying brand names may make you feel more important but people cant tell what you are wearing unless it has a huge GAP or Eddie Baur, etc tag on it.
    Wear whats comfortable to you. I do find that some designer name clothes are better made and last a lot longer which for that reason I will pay the extra money for them.
    What's the most important factor when buying an item of clothing? Cut? Colour? Make?
    None of the above how about Comfort level.
    KyleS

3. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

I basically shop at the "Mall Stores". Most of my stuff comes from places like Old Navy, AE, Aeropostel because its, comfortable decently priced, and fits good. Places like the GAP and AF have some really nice stuff with much better fabrics than other stores. I "splurge" every once in a while from stuff from there, and they usually tend to be my favorite clothes. I also get allot of works clothes from Sears (aka Dockers) and Structure. Anything more "designer" than that is a waste of money IHMO. Im also not to proud to shop in the clearance rack.

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Not very important, at least not for everyday situations. Of course for special situations like a job interview, a business meeting, or a formal cocktail party fashion sense is very important. I am a jeans and Tshirt kind of person and wear that whenever its appropriate.

Do brand names matter?

No, not really, at least not for clothes. I have some clothes that do have the brands plastered all over them (GAP, Nautica, etc) but that's mainly because I picked said item up on discount.

Its a waste of money if you are purchasing the designer clothes for the sole purpose of having designer clothes. However, I too have found that the pricier items generally do fit better, the matarials are stronger, and the clothes last longer. Because they are the most comfortable and durable, I find them a better value.

Comfort. I also pay attention to the cut and color of the item because that will dictate how good it looks on me. It doesn't matter how good it looks on me if its not comfortable but on the flipside I won't buy something that is comfortable but looks horrible. I have noticed that if I buy clothes that are both comfortable and look good on me, I am more likely to wear them often and get my money's worth. If I'm not going to wear the item often there's no point in purchasing it because I don't need a closet full of clothes I don't like to wear.

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I must admit that I'm much of a fashion victim than previous respondents. I live in Manhattan, NYC, though, so it kind of comes with the territory.

I don't find it necessary to spend TONS of money, but I do find that the better brands / designers make better clothing and they fit better.

I also have a personal loathing for what I call the "uniform." That is, pleated khaki/beige pants and a blue button-down oxford tucked in with a weave belt. Ugh.

I wear jeans, but I like Diesel jeans. They may cost $130 a pair, but they make my booty look great and last forever.

I like Armani, but I get stuff from Armani exchange where the pants are $79-$120 instead of $300-400. I also ravage the annual Barney's warehouse sale. Great designer stuff at great prices.

I find it important, and I find that I'm impressed by someone who can dress well. Trendy isn't important, but knowing how to look good is. To me.

6. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Cheap Jeans (about $12), Cheap T-shirts (about $4), semi-cheap Comfortable sneakers (about $35).

And if I can save a few bucks, I am in no way above buying clothing at Yard Sales or thrift shops.

I hate to spend my money on clothing and don't give a damn in the slightest about making any sort of fashion statement. I never pay attention to what others wear, so I am oblivious to such things anyhow.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm with Brian (perhaps it's the New England vibe). Wal-Mart and Kmart meet the vast majority of my clothing needs. As long as it covers my bod, and isn't too garish, I really don't care.

8. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I'm a computer programmer.

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Clothing has to be functional! In that end, I tend to save my money and buy stuff for functions, i.e. cyling, hiking, etc. Which means many of the cotton stuff I have, I have gotten from charity rides, races, centuries, 5k runs, etc. But when I actually buy stuff, it's typically coolmax stuff, polyester based jerseys, etc. So to me, I don't care too much about what looks trendy just what works. Not to say I would buy some the jerseys that I see out there, a lot of them are too gawdy or too "advertisy". Plus I've gotten used to wearing cycling jerseys when hiking, the rear pockets are real nice and better than ones in the pants.

I would not spend more than $35 on a pair of jeans, no matter whose name is on it and I treat others the same way, regardless of their clothes.

Jay

10. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

11. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Put a label on it yourselves ......
    EVERYTHING I wear except shoes and "draws" come from www.eddiebauer.com.
    Yankee translation: draws = underwear.

12. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

13. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The only brand names I buy are Nike shoes (I hate their practices, but they're the only shoes that actuall fit my feet well) and a few others where the brand name really does indicate quality.

15. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Wow. I can see that I'm in the minority here.

Let me clarify that I don't care about the label. I just like to look extra good.

16. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

The women he doesn't date......sorry man, I couldn't resist.

I am pretty functional when it comes to clothes, and I frequent Mervyn's for the basics, and the Bon Marche when I feel like spending a little. Jeans and shirts will top off around $25.00. I'll go higher for a nice sweater vest, or pair of slacks, but that is pretty rare. Don't even really notice the labels on them.

Two things I spend more money on is shoes (Cause my dogs are going to be in them all day and they have to be comfortable, and I figure I wear them every single day and will own for a while) and cologne (which I usually buy online so I end up saving money for designer names anyway).

I like to look good, but try to manage it in a shirt and jeans sort of way. Lots of whites, blacks and blues. Style is pretty simple I guess. And clothes are one thing I really refuse to buy used.

Chris

17. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Josh, I wouldn't worry about it. Geographic location plays a huge role, I'm sure. In Manhattan there are plenty of other people that dress as you do. Out here in Albuquerque, you will almost never see people dressed like that unless they are attending a special function. In fact, dress is so casual out here that our company has created a special dress code just for our site. Everyone wears jeans and shorts to work at my site, including the site director whereas in other parts of the country our company has maintained the business casual dress code.

18. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

General rule of thumb

You get what you pay for

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't really care, as long as it covers my fat ass and is comfortable, I'm not out to impress anyone.
    most of what I wear is old navy when I can find some stuff that fits. I like their boxers, and their jeans but finding big and tall sizes is hard.
    shoes I buy at wherever they're on sale, last weekend I bought a pair of lugz for 60 bucks, works for me. I have one pair of shoes, and a pair of motorcycling boots that cost about 5 times what shoes cost. In fact I have more in motorcycle gear than I do in clothes, gear for all weather and conditions, probably a couple grand worth considering I have 3 helmets, ranging from 100 bucks to 450 bucks for my newest. SO I guess I'm like the other poster, I skimp on clothes but splurge on functional gear. I think my entire wardrobe is probably worth less than one helmet LoL
    I splurge on watches a bit, I have to admit I'm fond of fossil watches, I guess that isn't too bad, it's not like a breitling or anything [​IMG]
    my other beef with old navy is their quality, usually it's just one step above suckage, but their jeans are decent and at 22.50 a pair I'm happy. I cannot fathom spending more than $40 on jeans. I prefer old navy to levis because they fit as well (actually a bit better..) and are abou half the price.
    I do always buy my undershirts at JC penney, socks too, they're fairly cheap and great quality.
    I don't even own a suit (well I do but it's uh 9 years old and no longer fits) but will need one shortly, I'm dreding that. I can barely tie a tie.

20. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

It's true, you do get what you pay for. But why do I have to pay $200 for a pair of jeans? I mean I like Puffy, but come on! That's a bit much for putting Sean John's name on my ass ...
    It's even harder for me. I'm 6'4", and weigh about 260. Normally too big for the mall stores, and unfortunately not quite big enough for the Big and Tall stores. My job is business casual, so I'm usually in slacks and a polo, or a button-down shirt. I go to Marshal Fields, Target, JC Penny, and find what I like in my size. I don't pay too much attention to labels. Hell, my wife's impressed if they even go together [​IMG] ...
    And I'm a Software Engineer. Don't know if that means as much a a Programmer, but I thought I'd just throw that out there [​IMG] ...
    Freddy C.