What's new

Hoosiers, Graduate, Spaceballs, Leone SEs in 2005 (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
What do you mean, Rich? Is there any new information on this out there anywhere? The Graduate, that is.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
No new info, just the same old not particularly promising info. It's up for preorder at various sites, including Amazon and DDD, but is listed as "widescreen" or "fullscreen" with no additional features and priced around $11 ($14.99 MSRP).

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Any more news on this? DVD Empire's scan of the back cover of The Graduate shows that it's widescreen (but not enhanced), but Amazon, like DVD Soon, show it as anamorphic. Can't see the point in re-releasing it if it isn't to be honest.

Similarly, The Bits says today that MGM's re-release of Norman Jewison's The Thomas Crown Affair has a 'new transfer', and that must surely mean it's anamorphic this time round...but I wish the Lion would just come out and say so.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
As reported on DVD TALK: same ol' transfer as it's always been (going back to the Polygram blue cover version), non anamorphic, of course.... and no extras!

That's right. It's an even worse disc than before. Perhaps a couple bucks cheaper.

Seems the R2/PAL UK disc is the only game in town. The German Kinowelt might be the same transfer as the UK disc, but generally German discs are much more expensive to import... amazon.co.uk has the UK disc at a very reasonable price, around $10.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks Rich. I've got the R2 (very nice transfer) I was just hoping the new release would have the full Hoffman interview and an anamorphic transfer. :frowning:

I'd like to order the new release of The Thomas Crown Affair, but despite what The Bits says right now, I think I'll wait until that 'new transfer' has been confirmed.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
so wait... the same disc repackaged with new artwork... same non-anamorphic transfer... MINUS the extras (interview & doc) from the initial release???

So MGM actually downgraded... WHY the hell would a studio do this??

You already have a dvd in circulation... yet you decide to pull it from distro in order to reinstate a new release of the exact same transfer w/ less content???

Can someone please explain the reasoning here because I'm confused.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I'm confused by this. And infuriated if it's true. Wasn't this voted the like 7th greatest American film of all-time by AFI? With all the nice SE's MGM has been putting out for movies like "Raging Bull" and "Hoosiers", why would they go and do something utterly ridiculous like this? There's no way I'm ever paying for the lackluster version of "The Graduate" that's already out; and no way in hell I'll be buying this latest piece of shit offering.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
This had damn well better be a TYPO! (on the back of the box-after all, SOME discs list themselves as 16x9-and are NOT! Hopefully, the reverse is true here.)

Several sites list it as 16x9-why would they re-release the same disc at the same price if not an upgrade?!

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
MGM is probably the worst major studio releasing DVDs today. They're basically like a box of choc-o-lates (in my best Forrest Gump voice). You never know what you're gonna get. You might get Ghost World (gorgeous transfer), you might get Blow Out (subpar but still watchable transfer) or you might get Jean de Florette (hideous, scandalously revolting transfer).

If the word on the street is correct and this new Graduate DVD is a recycled non-anamorphic transfer minus extras then it just confirms the fact that MGM home video simply does not care about consumers or about film history. With the forthcoming "Bill & Ted" boxset due this year, MGM clearly cares more about B & T's "excellent adventures" than they do about arguably one of the greatest films of all time. (And don't get me wrong, I enjoy "Bill & Ted", too, but I just don't understand MGM at all.)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
All the films in this thread title have been or will be getting the 2-disc deluxe treatment. So why not The Graduate? Or was this a temporary re-release with the SE coming later?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm not sure, but I was at Sam's Club last week and saw that they were selling cheap MGM discs. While I didn't see The Graduate, i saw that they were selling Four Weddings and a Funeral with new cover art but just the same old disc. Maybe this is similar to that and an SE is on the way.

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't The Graduate supposed to be a Special Edition ? I'm sure I read this somewhere .
So there's a "new" one coming out, which is the same as the old one ? What's the point of that ???
Another boneheaded move by MGM, along with putting out an edition of West Side Story in pan and scan .

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
not the same as the old one... even shittier.

It deletes whatever minor extras were featured on the initial release; ie. an interview and short doc.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Marco,

Is this from personal viewing of the dvd? So far I've been unable to find any review to verify the transfer, or find anyone who's actually bought it and verified it.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I'd like to know the answer to this question too. A number of people claim that this new version is the same non-anamorphic transfer as the previous SE minus the booklet and bonus materials but it is unclear if anybody knows this by way of actually opening the new version and watching the new disc. Does anyone have the new version of The Graduate, yet, with the revised cover who has opened it and watched it to confirm that it is, indeed, the same non-anamorphic transfer without the bonus materials or booklet that were present in the previous SE?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks