What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Interesting. I was on the fence with buying this one (which I streamed last week) as many reviewers were saying the PQ left a lot to be desired. However I trust the Master’s opinion here above all others and will now buy. It’s a classic.
Keep in mind that this is not a film that gains a great deal from 4k over 2k.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Keep in mind that this is not a film that gains a great deal from 4k over 2k.
Thanks and understood. But it must be a lot better than the original Blu which is still included and I get the streaming code for the 4K as well which looked great when I streamed it over the holidays.
Btw it is now no longer streaming for free but The Holiday is now effective 1/1 on Netflix-not as good but pretty good.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The thing I am curious about is which version of the movie will be on the 4K disc. I have the original Blu-Ray as well as the remastered Blu-Ray that came in a box with a "Love Actually" ornament, and they each use a different music cue during the party sequence. Take it away. IMBD:

"The Diane Warren penned track "Too Lost in You", performed by Sugababes, appeared in the U.K. version, but was replaced by Kelly Clarkson's "The Trouble With Love" in the U.S. release. Writer and director Richard Curtis felt bad for the members of the British band, Keisha Buchanan, Mutya Buena and Heidi Range, as they missed out on exposure in USA. To make up for it, he later placed them on the soundtrack for his movie About Time (2013)."

The original Blu-Ray uses the Sugababes song and the later Blu-Ray uses the Kelly Clarkson song. I'll be getting the 4K disc this week, and I look forward to finding out whether it contains the U.K. version or the U.S. version.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The thing I am curious about is which version of the movie will be on the 4K disc. I have the original Blu-Ray as well as the remastered Blu-Ray that came in a box with a "Love Actually" ornament, and they each use a different music cue during the party sequence. Take it away. IMBD:

"The Diane Warren penned track "Too Lost in You", performed by Sugababes, appeared in the U.K. version, but was replaced by Kelly Clarkson's "The Trouble With Love" in the U.S. release. Writer and director Richard Curtis felt bad for the members of the British band, Keisha Buchanan, Mutya Buena and Heidi Range, as they missed out on exposure in USA. To make up for it, he later placed them on the soundtrack for his movie About Time (2013)."

The original Blu-Ray uses the Sugababes song and the later Blu-Ray uses the Kelly Clarkson song. I'll be getting the 4K disc this week, and I look forward to finding out whether it contains the U.K. version or the U.S. version.

US.

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I'm a massive fan of Richard Curtis' work, whether as producer, writer or director.

Think Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, Bridget Jones's Diary, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, and in this case...

Love Actually.

I actually love this film - no pun intended.

Its multiple storylines, great cast, and just warm and wonderful atmosphere, set it apart from say - Steve Wick IV, or whatever - which has neither warmth, nor storyline.

I'd not seen this in several years, but earlier thoughts returned - the comparisons to films like Nashville, or Mad, Mad World, albeit with neither Ethel Merman, walnuts nor a W of trees.

I see bits of The Graduate, Napoleon (1927) and Risky Business.

Universal has given us a very nice 4k rendering, even though I'm not certain how much is gained by it over Blu-ray. Data throughput is fine for the look and textures of the film, which nicely reproduce it on disc.

Color, density, black levels, grain - everything is in place.

Audio is beautifully rendered as Dolby Atmos.

And the cast, all in their own story lines, until they converge is a cornucopia of UK talent, along with a few representatives of the Colonies.

Bill Nighy, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson, Martin Freeman, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Keira Knightley, Hugh Grant, Laura Linney, Alan Rickman, Rowan Atkinson, Jeanne Moreau, and Billy Bob Thornton (as the ugly American) et al.

For those who have not experience Mr. Curtis' delightful Christmas hors d'oeuvre, consider it a delicate little Holiday treat.

Image – 10 (HDR)

Audio – 10 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 6

Upgrade from Blu-ray - why not?

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 3

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Mr. Harris Happy Monday
So after reading your review on this release, it makes me question why I disliked the 4K so much.
maybe I need to give another viewing

The Atmos seemed to sound good with my 9.1.2 setup.
But due to the grain on the film, it looked dirty to me. I actually preferred the older Blu-ray transfer.

Agreeing with you, not sure what was truly gained here by a 4K release.

All of that being said, I love this movie in the depths of my heart, and always will, as you’ve stated.

I’ll give it another shot and see if I was being a little unfair to it because I respect your viewpoint.

Side note:
Watching now, 20 years later, I’m always struck when ever I see a very young Andrew Lincoln on screen. As this was prior to transforming himself into Rick Grimes for 10-12 years on The Walking Dead for 10 seasons.

He gained some serious action chopsnover that time, always putting his heart and soul into his performance of that character.

I don’t know him, but I believe he walked aw away because you can only be tortured like he was on that show before you start to go a bit mad yourself.

“We all go a bit mad sometimes. Don't you?”
- Norman to Marion
“Psycho”, 1960

I’ll check it out again.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Love, Actually is 'actually' one of the few romantic comedies to offer more than a nugget or two of truth regarding the misshapen, ephemeral quality of that chemical reaction to add a spark between two people who, otherwise, having absolutely nothing in common.

Who can say why love happens? This movie 'actually' makes the attempt to explain the unexplainable...and, mostly, succeeds in achieving some sort of clarity from the chaos. A few time-honored movie cliches in the rom/com milieu are offset by a wonderful cast, a solid script and some charming vignettes that follow so many stories it's a miracle it all comes out even and highly enjoyable in just under 2 1/2 hours. Love, Actually is an epic about the stumbling/bumbling/rumbling of awkward romantic love. It works because it doesn't sugar coat the reality of love. It's imperfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks