What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - 3 Days of the Condor -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
3 Days of the Condor, a Robert Redford vehicle directed by Sydney Pollack is a terrific spy drama, based upon James Grady's novel of almost the same name.

Supporting cast is superb - Faye Dunaway, Cliff Robertson, Max Von Sydow and John Houseman.

Score by Dave Grusin.

The new 4k UHD release from Kino, based upon Paramount's master is everything one might wish in bringing a mid-'70s film to the format.

Color, densities, black levels, stability, shadow detail are all in place, and beautifully replicate Owen Roizman's cinematography, shooting on location in NYC and Washington, D.C.

This is a film that belongs in every serious library - '70s vibes and all.

A thought about slipcovers that don't add anything to the mix. I'm not a fan of hard paper covers that simply replicate what is beneath. This is the case here. I'd love to see Kino abandon the concept, and just allow the actual packaging to shine through. We'll save a few tries, and some production cost, allowing them to do what they do best - release product that you'll not find elsewhere.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - 1

Highly Recommended

RAH

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
But to ensure getting a limited edition slipcover copy of a film, most serious slipcover collectors would buy at the initial release at a non-sale price, which would help Kino's bottom line. (I can't say "full price", because Kino, bless 'em, sells everything below list price, even new releases)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
But to ensure getting a limited edition slipcover copy of a film, most serious slipcover collectors would buy at the initial release at a non-sale price, which would help Kino's bottom line. (I can't say "full price", because Kino, bless 'em, sells everything below list price, even new releases)

I think I have to agree if it increases average sales price or even number of discs sold and it pretty surely does as there are those "no slipcover no sale" weirdos out there. So it seems like a slipcover is a small price to pay if it increases profitability of physical media sales.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Though there's probably an equal number or even more that just remove the slip and toss them in the trash when they arrive, though they've paid whatever extra cost is involved. Just extra waste in the landfills.

Too bad they couldn't make it a bonus "add on" for a couple extra dollars for those that want to add it, while selling the standard case without slip to those that don't.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not having a slipcover wouldn't make me skip a release, but I do kinda prefer them. They simply look better on a shelf with their squared edges, as opposed to the rounded sides of a blu-ray case. That said, Criterion is one company that makes the case-only look work. Like I said, I'm in for Kino releases either way, but if they keep the covers, it's a bonus.

BTW, still waiting for my copy of 3 Days... to ship! &%$#@^! Amazon.

SteveB651

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
The only reason I keep the Kino slipcovers is that they feature the title in its original design on the side, instead of in the standard Kino font on the actual case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks