What's new

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
On a website devoted to the reproduction of films as they originally ran theatrically, I consistently find myself perplexed by complaints about movies that lack "modern" audio.

This has become especially true in the Atmos era. People seem to get very upset when new-ish movies don't get Atmos remixes.

I'm fine with remixes - as long as the theatrical audio appears as well.

But I don't get complaints when a release doesn't include a remix.
On the flipside, it bugs me when people complain about the lack of "original audio" on films which were 70mm Dolby and barely remixed.

alstein

Agent
Real Name
Aron
I recently posted a comment about not being able to play back the Blu-Ray disc on my Panasonic UB-820 player. The 4k disc loaded without difficulty. Amazon replaced the “defective” disc, but I ran into the same issue with the replacement. I then discovered quite by chance that the issue lies with my blu ray player being connected to the network by default. As soon as I turned off the network connection- specifically BD-Live Internet Access- the Blu Ray loaded and played without any issues.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A few weeks later…

After cooling down, I realized that I hadn’t read the other cross-reference reviews of American Graffiti; as written by the other sites. I usually read from 5 different sources, ala the written word.

Well, it seems that everyone hated what George Lucas has done or “approved” to his masterpiece film. Horrendous scores.

Damn, I’m all worked up, again.

Alright, already, the artist does have the right to alter their works; but the audience consequently also has the right to their preferences from memories past, and of over 50 years. Why alter what was never broken?

Calling George Lucas…please help out your fans and go back to the drawing boards…please.🙏

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
A few weeks later…

After cooling down, I realized that I hadn’t read the other cross-reference reviews of American Graffiti; as written by the other sites. I usually read from 5 different sources, ala the written word.

Well, it seems that everyone hated what George Lucas has done or “approved” to his masterpiece film. Horrendous scores.

Damn, I’m all worked up, again.

Alright, already, the artist does have the right to alter their works; but the audience consequently also has the right to their preferences from memories past, and of over 50 years..

Calling George Lucas…please help out your fans and go back to the drawing boards…please.🙏
He always listens to the fans. Think of how he painstakingly he restored the original trilogy back to their lo-fi glory based on all the feedback received about the "improvements."

Last edited:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I sense a bit of sarcasm in that “painstaking” comment, as if to imply that all it takes to make a DVD from a Laserdisc master involves pushing a button.

You gotta, you know, plug stuff in and turn it all on too. It also involves an evil cackle because you’ve farmed the job out to Mr. Video. Have you tried cackling evilly while resting on your laurels? It may look easy, but it’s actually difficult. Painstaking, if you will.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If I recall, the opening shot of American Graffiti was changed not long after the changes made to Star Wars. And I remember everyone groping about it, but when I saw the new shot, I said “Ok, I have to admit that looks great.” All changes aren’t bad (I even like some of the ones in the Star Wars films).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I view by projection and trust me this is not a 5 star image, never, not ever in a million years would it rise above 1, we need to stop all this A.I upscaling and DNR of the film grain.

You know what I was watching this last month, many Hitchcock classics, they have some interesting documentaries featuring film restoration experts, these experts give us detailed information on how they saved them.

So lets play devils advocate, if Vertigo or Rear Window or Spartacus had been treated the way American Graffiti has been treated would we even be discussing 5 star rating at moderate seating distances, no we would not, it would be 1 star rating, but I appreciate people have jobs in the industry and cannot rock the boat too much.

Looks like we might get several more disasters in 2024, True Lies, Aliens, I have bad feelings about those films when they debut on UHD and I have a very bad feeling some experts might give them 5 star ratings.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I view by projection and trust me this is not a 5 star image, never, not ever in a million years would it rise above 1, we need to stop all this A.I upscaling and DNR of the film grain.

You know what I was watching this last month, many Hitchcock classics, they have some interesting documentaries featuring film restoration experts, these experts give us detailed information on how they saved them.

So lets play devils advocate, if Vertigo or Rear Window or Spartacus had been treated the way American Graffiti has been treated would we even be discussing 5 star rating at moderate seating distances, no we would not, it would be 1 star rating, but I appreciate people have jobs in the industry and cannot rock the boat too much.

Looks like we might get several more disasters in 2024, True Lies, Aliens, I have bad feelings about those films when they debut on UHD and I have a very bad feeling some experts might give them 5 star ratings.
Whether an “expert” or not, my rating for archival quality was 1.5.

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I rather like the new “Archival Rating” distinction in conjunction with the “Entertainment Rating”. It may not stop the controversies of how a disc turned out, but it should surely put an end to how the readers challenge the diagnostics of what you’re seeing, reviewing and the “whys” as to how you score.

You’ve guided and educated us well for decades; Master Classes, quite frankly; and for free, no less.

With gratitude,
PMF (Philip)

Last edited:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Sorry, nuanced perspectives aren't allowed on the internet.

Be grateful that you haven't said anything directly about the streaming digital versions of The Abyss, True Lies, and Aliens. Although you'll have to bite the bullet sooner or later when the actual discs show up. The results will make the Titanic thread look like a quiet day in the countryside in comparison.

I do think that that Archival/Entertainment split ratings are as good a way as any of dealing with the fact that things aren't always black and white, but that's still something that's going to be lost on some people.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I rather like the new “Archival Rating” distinction in conjunction with the “Entertainment Rating”. It may not stop the controversies of how a disc turned out, but it should surely put an end to how the readers challenge the diagnostics of what you’re seeing, reviewing and the “whys” as to how you score.

You’ve guided and educated us well for decades; Master Classes quite frankly, and for free, no less.

With gratitude,
PMF (Philip)
Hang on…

You’ve not been billed? For how long?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wonder if George Lucas was taken by surprise when learning of just how many bad reviews he garnered for his 4K/UHD transfer of American Grafitti.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wonder if George Lucas was taken by surprise when learning of just how many bad reviews he garnered for his 4K/UHD transfer of American Grafitti.
He doesn't care what some vocal naysayers say nor whether most people would enjoy how this movie looks on their 4K screens.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
With very few releases left before the end of the year, I think it's a sure bet that the 4K UHD of American Graffiti wins the slot of "Worst disc release of a major title by a major studio in 2023", by a fairly wide margin.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
He doesn't care what some vocal naysayers say because he thinks most people would enjoy how this movie looks on their 4K screens.
That's the problem with internet outrage; it vastly overestimates its own importance. Personally, I'm not thrilled with what was done to American Graffiti, but George Lucas gives exactly zero ****s about what I think. Or anybody else on the internet, for that matter. He's spent decades demonstrating conclusively how little that he cares about what his own fans think. So while I may not be thrilled with the results in this case, I'm going to expend exactly zero energy on outrage about it. I suggest that others do the same.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's the problem with internet outrage; it vastly overestimates its own importance. Personally, I'm not thrilled with what was done to American Graffiti, but George Lucas gives exactly zero ****s about what I think. Or anybody else on the internet, for that matter. He's spent decades demonstrating conclusively how little that he cares about what his own fans think. So while I may not be thrilled with the results in this case, I'm going to expend exactly zero energy on outrage about it. I suggest that others do the same.

Stephen,

I mostly agree with you here. Ultimately, what Directors do with their films is by right, their choice, and in the end, they don't give a shit.

However, Internet outrage has its place. It's feedback. It wasn't long before George Lucas learned how much fans were dissatisfied with his prequels.

I also think, on forums such as these, the studios do read the feedback and I think it's important that continues.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Stephen,

I mostly agree with you here. Ultimately, what Directors do with their films is by right, their choice, and in the end, they don't give a shit.

However, Internet outrage has its place. It's feedback. It wasn't long before George Lucas learned how much fans were dissatisfied with his prequels.

I also think, on forums such as these, the studios do read the feedback and I think it's important that continues.
Reading the feedback and then doing something about it are two different things. TBH, I’m not sure how much this forum represents the general public’s POV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks