What's new

Great experience with SVS customer service (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I know, another "why I love SVS" thread! ;)

But this is from a different angle than most.

I got my PB12-Ultra/2 last October. Have been loving it ever since. Especially the 11 to 40 Hz +/- 2 Hz freq response I've measured in my room. :D (Above 40 Hz for me, room nodes start to intrude.)

Maybe 4 months or so ago, during watching Attack of the Clones in anticipation of seeing Revenge of the Jedi ;), I noticed the sub cutting out. I started emailing SVS and Tom, and I/we quickly determined that at that time, if I changed from a switched outlet powering up the sub, to an unswitched outlet (and auto mode), the problem went away. So I didn't worry about it.

After a short time later, it came back, but then I noticed that after "warming up", it was fine again. Here's what it sounded like:

mmmmmmmmmmmmm-thp
mmmmmmmm-thp
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-thp

Well, it started doing it very consistently about 2 weeks ago. Based on Tom's suggestions, I did some troubleshooting, and we quuckly determined it was indeed the sub. (Eliminated the cable, and the pre/pro's output.)

Bam, the next day he had a replacement amplifier enroute to me.

I have to be honest, it took me a year to get up the nerve to get this sub, mostly because I was worried about being able to ever sell it again, how to ship it to someone else? And what if something goes wrong, how do I get it fixed? (Now that I've had it for a while, it ain't going nowhere!)

So I got the amp Fri night, installed it yesterday, and I'm a happy camper again. A few things I noticed when I installed it: SVS uses a "retention band" (basically one of the plastic zip connectors) to hold the longest wire to the enclosure. They say it reduces/eliminates that wire resonating inside the sub during operation. Cool! Now *that* is attention to detail. Also, to replace the amp, you have to take the two drivers out, and I was surprise by how (ahem) beautiful they are. Kind of a shame they are hidden underneath the way that they are. Heavy suckers too.

Anyway, just wanted to let y'all know that SVS is as professional and courteous and helpful after the sale as before it. And I know from personal experience that not all sub-makers are that way.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member

No there not. It didn't take me long to figure out SVS/Ron will and does back their product with the many options I have boughten from them. Something many don't realize is... if a problem does come up, it is easily fixed by swapping out the amp or driver 99.9% of the time.

Glad things went so well for you Kevin.:emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
SVS to me is a big company now. They make grade A subs. And I suspect they sell a lot of them.

But I got personal attention from one of the founders, Tom. Not some low level customer service guy reading scripted answers from a cue card. I thought that was really cool.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You mean Revenge of the Sith?

Thanks for sharing this very positive CS story. I for one appreciate this.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I recently purchased a used SVS 16-46pc+ and have been treated like nothing but a 1st class citizen by SVS.

Along with Ascend Acoustics, SVS has the best CS in the industry as far as I am concerned (and the best in just about every other industry as well).

Hank_P

Second Unit
Kevin, this really is "not from a different" angle. SVS customer support is A+, #1, the best, or any other "above and beyond" reference you can make. This is something I have personally experienced, along with many others, and again why so many people not only love the SVS subs for their sound and reliability, but for their support. :) I'm glad your issue was resolved and you can once again, enjoy "the force".

Many new people finding there way onto this forum for the first time, should see and read more instances like this. IMO ..SVS is the best.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have bought two SVS subs from them in the last several years. Both times and in between I had developed a relationship with Ron there so I always ask for or email him with questions or just to see how he is doing. He recently retired from the Army Reserve... Great guy. Anyway just to add to the thread and I will try to be brief. Several years ago I had dual 12" NHT subs with their own external Amps. They worked ok on music but not thump or tactical response on movies which is 90% of my use. Before I even asked about SVS, Ron asked me about my subs. Took several phone calls and emails to try to get them to work better for me over a few days. I still was not satisfied so he recommended a sub for my room, at the time it was the PB2+ (now the PB12+2) what a killer sub.. It put the dual NHTs in the dirt litterally no compairison.
When they started doing colors I wanted one that would match the oak in my room and speakers and got a PB12Ultra which I am very happy with and so far in my room seems to take the other ones place very well. Thats my story...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Great testimonials. I've shared this before but it's probably been at least a year and it deserves being told. :)

I bought a 20-39PC off eBay and noticed some problems with it - like leakage around the amp. Ron offered to check it over and also upgrade it to the PCi driver, all for just the cost of the driver part. When it arrived at SVS they determined it would be too much to repair so I was sent a brand new 20-39PCi. I wasn't charged any more than the original agreement for the part. Really, SVS owed me nothing since I bought a used product, but when they say they stand by their product they mean it! And of course that means they create rabid (and justified) customer devotion.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Like many of us know... It don't get much better for customer appreation than at SVS. There are a few other speaker companies that operate the same way but companies like this are far and few between these days. Thats why I am always so excited to turn people on to SVS. Don't have to worry they will let my refferal down at all, no matter if its their littlest sub or their big boys. They treat everyone like royality.
Mike L

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Guo- That's awesome. :) I used to be hesitant to talk to companies about problems with used gear, because *usually* they treat you like second class citizens.

But what *some* companies realize, is that if they treat you nice for a used component, maybe just maybe the next time you buy new, you'll consider their company and its products too. :)

Shane- Woops, I used the *original* title of Episode VI. ;)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Very surprised and that level of service is quite humbling because it feels so undeserved. But of course I didn't hesitate to accept. :) Once everything was said and done, I still came out spending less than I would have if I'd purchased it new, but I know next time I'll just go straight to the source.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Oh yeah, I also just had a similar experience with Zektor, maker of video switchers. My HDS 4 would no longer output optical. I was willing to pay for repair, being well past the warranty period, but they agreed to fix it for free and wound up sending me a new unit. Not as far out as SVS, but great service just the same. We now return to the SVS lovin'. :)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
One more while we are at it but in the wrong place is Home theater Master... I had an MX500 for several years and the back light stopped.. no biggie. It was out of warranty but thought I would call them. They asked me to send it in. They returned a new one to me alreay programed the way my old one was. Several months ago I decided to use that in a bedroom and upgraded to the MX700.
Stuff like this is almost unheard of with the big companies these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks