What's new

Game of Thrones Exec Producers talk future seasons - Fascinating insights (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://gameofowns.com/new-season-2-p...ctures-and-qa/ Wow certainly food for thought Q: Does season two follow book two, or have you taken greater creative liberties than you did in the first season?
DBW: I think fans of the show can expect to be surprised by some of what happens. Fans of the books will obviously have more of a line into events, but we’re taking approaches that might surprise them as well. A lot of the characters that George created are so rich and so wonderful that you often find yourself wondering what would happen if this one met that one: When Robb finds himself alone with Jaime, for instance, what do they say? And we’ve been blessed with such fabulous, talented actors that you really find yourself just wanting to write more and more for them, to explore the characters that they’re making their own. So there will definitely be some nice surprises. I think there’ll be excitement for both longtime readers and newcomers to the material.
Q: If GAME OF THRONES continues with additional seasons, will you adapt one book per season, or try something different? Do you have an entire series arc in mind?
DBW: Well… “A Storm of Swords” is too long to fit in a single season. And as readers know, “A Feast for Crows” and “A Dance with Dragons” take place during roughly the same time frame, so we’ll have to fold those together. The plan, if we’re lucky enough to be given the opportunity to see it through, is to use as many seasons as we need to tell the story as a whole, to do justice to George’s entire opus. DB: We’re not looking at our series as a book-by-book adaptation so much as an adaptation of George’s entire saga. In other words, in our minds season two is not “A Clash of Kings.” It is the second season of our adaptation of “A Song of Ice and Fire.”

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I don't see any spoiler at all in this, so to respond to this part, I'll unspoiler it:

DB: We’re not looking at our series as a book-by-book adaptation so much as an adaptation of George’s entire saga. In other words, in our minds season two is not “A Clash of Kings.” It is the second season of our adaptation of “A Song of Ice and Fire.”

This is the right way to look at it, IMHO. Especially by the time we get to ffc/dwd. Those books do happen at the same time, roughly, and some assessments made in one are of course wrong because of what we learn in the other... just only what the people on site know "at the time". I think there has to be a blending together of many of these to be a coherent story for TV, because in the end, the author is betting the reader pulls it all together in their head regardless.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The previews show theyre definitely playing with timelines as things that dont happen until book 3 which include Robb, are clearly shown.

I was expecting a season & 1/2 for ASOS and then because of the way the books turned out, having them take AFFC and ADWD and combine them into a narrative since they overlap and then come together at the end of ADWD. I was guessing it would still take 2 seasons to tell those books, but they would be combined.

^ This made sense to me with reports that S3&4 would be filmed together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks