What's new

Amazon Prime Bosch: Legacy (Amazon Freevee) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the first episode of the new series tonight. Has much the same tone and many of the same cast from the previous series, so it all feels comfortable and familiar. And most enjoyable. The season premiere set up at least three running stories, so there will be lots to follow. So happy to have it again.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first episode of the new series tonight. Has much the same tone and many of the same cast from the previous series, so it all feels comfortable and familiar. And most enjoyable. The season premiere set up at least three running stories, so there will be lots to follow. So happy to have it again.
I just watched the first two episodes. The commercial interruptions aren't as obtrusive as I feared, but I hate how the massive "freevee" logo is on screen in the bottom-right corner for the entire episode.

Not only is a lot of the cast the same, but the showrunner (Eric Overmyer) is the same too. The two main differences from "Bosch" that have stood out to me are:
  1. The show is edited for ad breaks. It's a subtle difference, but it affects the structure and makes it feel slightly more like a network series than the original show did.
  2. It's a three-way narrative, rotating between Harry Bosch, Money Chandler, and Maddie Bosch. They're lives obviously overlap, but so far their storylines haven't had a whole lot to do with one another. Presumably that will change as the season goes on, but I am curious how this structure will work over the longer term. Harry is a PI and Chandler is working for a much smaller firm that doesn't have its own in-house investigator, so that creates storytelling opportunities. But Maddie is a beat cop, not an investigator, so it seems like it will be harder to tie her into the same narratives.
Bosch's house being unsteady on its foundation after an earthquake is a nice metaphor for Bosch outside of the police department. I do like how his life as a PI brings in a different cast of supporting characters, including his tech guy who is the only series regular besides the core trio. I particularly enjoyed the struggling actress who was very adept at extracting information. And I find his coloring outside the lines easier to tolerate when he's a PI than I did when he was working for the LAPD.

I think they're striking the right balance with Chandler. She is clearly still severely traumatized, with therapy and anxiety medication helping her to cope but not really enough. At same time, she's still a really stellar defense attorney and she's fighting as hard for her pro bono client as she used to for the millionaires who used to hire her.

I'm also enjoying Maddie as a trainee out of her father's old station. She's still smart and perceptive, but she's really green and the show is allowing her to make really green mistakes. Her current training officer is probably just who she needs in that role; someone who's tough but someone who wants Maddie to succeed and understands that not every mistake needs a formal disciplinary process.

At the same time, she's in peak physical condition and a bit saltier than the Maddie we watched go through her teen years and college years, with the f-bombs coming a lot more frequently.

It's interesting to see characters from "Bosch" return in different contexts; On "Bosch", Lt. Thorne was primarily Billets's adversary. Here, he's basically Maddie's boss. His job hasn't changed, but the parts of it we see have.

For some reason, I thought William Devane had passed away. So it was a nice surprise to see him appear here kicking off one of the season's main story threads.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We watched the first four episodes yesterday. We only planned to watch two, then watch the next two on Thursday to prime us for episode 5 on Friday. But after two episodes we were too darn hungry for more and we binged all four. Yes, gluttony is a sin but we couldn't help ourselves. :)

Yummy, yummy! Tastes just like the original Bosch. We enjoyed the appetizer, we are very much looking forward to the main course and dessert!

Mark

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Watched the third and fourth episodes today, which amped up the various storylines.

Both episodes used subtitles to highlight key pieces of information that were onscreen but perhaps not so easily read. I don't remember the original series doing that on Prime Video?

It was fun to see Crate & Barrel back; the funny thing is that they saw more action in their one episode (so far) working for Bosch in the private sector than in seven scenes of (mostly) riding the desk on the original show.

Maddie's discomfort with the callousness of some of the other boots as they all traded war stories was one of those moments where you can feel the impact that being raised by Harry has had. She can't help but believe that either everyone matters, or no one matters.

The subplot with Chandler and the bad arrest due to shoddy facial recognition was closer to the reality of civil litigation. Yes, her firm wanted the defendant as a test case to open up a whole new arena of litigation against the police. Yes, she probably could have gotten him a much bigger payout if they'd gone to trial. But the plantiff had made her client an offer, she was obligated to present that offer to her client, and her client had every right to accept the offer. Sometimes $1.2 million in the hand (or probably around $800k after the firm takes its cut) is worth more than tens of millions a couple years down the road.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I have a funny feeling that the facial recognition defendant will be back in the story in later episodes.

Mark

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
Agree yay Bosch is back! But ugh, the freevee logo bug, the act break structure, and SDR with crushed blacks instead of HDR like when it was on Amazon proper is a big technical turn for the worse.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Smart of them to wait until week two to load the episodes up with lots of commercials, once they know they have audiences hooked.

Titus Welliver was phenomenal in the scene where (1x06 spoiler) Harry heard on the radio that a rookie female cop was shot and seriously wounded during a routine traffic stop, and he instantly thought it was Maddie.

Nice to see (1x06 spoiler) Jamie Hector make an appearance as J. Edgar. And smart of Bosch to protect the original copy of the new will by getting it entered into evidence.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The opening flashback of 1x08 went about as far as this show can go given the constraints of its licensed IP:
It confirmed that Bosch's biological father was a prominent Los Angeles lawyer, and that he has a younger, vaguely Hispanic half-brother. Reminded me a bit of Carla Gugino playing "Karen Goodall" on "Justified". Bosch's father was a different actor than Mickey's father in the flashbacks during Season 1 of "The Lincoln Lawyer" however, further puncturing the idea that the two shows exist in a shared universe. Perhaps it's the Matthew McConaughey version of the character that exists in the "Bosch" universe? :)

It looks like Money Chandler's wrongful death suit against the LAPD will tie Maddie's story in more closely with the other story threads. On one hand, it's pretty clear that it was a questionable shooting at best; the driver had shot a cop, and SIS was going to put him in the ground and they weren't going to worry too much about how they got it done. On the other hand, I don't see a jury even for a civil trial finding against the LAPD given that the deceased passenger had a romantic and sexual history with an attempted cop killer, and they found the gun used to shoot the cop in the vehicle. The circumstances were murky enough that I would bet most juries would give the cops the benefit of the doubt.

It puts Maddie in a really difficult spot, too; she has a great deal of personal feeling toward Chandler, who has been one of her mentors. And she has her own doubts about the shooting and how it went down. But she's right at the beginning of her career, and if she crosses the blue wall of silence now, her career will be over before it begins. Even if they don't find an excuse to wash her out, she'll never be able to trust that her fellow officers have her back in a dangerous situation. Her best hope is that the detective who made a promise to the mother of Chandler's client speaks out.

Speaking of that detective: It looked like he was working out of Hollywood Division, seated roughly where Vega and Pierce used to sit. I thought Hollywood Homicide got shut down in the "Bosch" series finale? Perhaps the detective is in gangs rather than homicide?

We're assuming that Sloan is bad news, yes? I suppose he could be playing double agent on Vance's behalf, but he deleted Bosch's voicemail before Vance could listen to it, and the incoming CEO of Advance Engineering is keeping Sloan on the payroll even as he's laying off the rest of Vance's household staff.

The shoddy investigation of the murdered doctor is really galling to Bosch, and probably makes him feel the absence of his badge more than anything else thus far. He knows with absolute certainty that he would have done a far better job than the officer assigned to the case.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Odd about the ads. I've been watching the show via the Firestick going into the FreeVee app, and the commercials have been about what I was expecting. Yesterday, though, I watched Ep. 8 through the Prime app on the OS for the LG TV, and apart from one ad for FreeVee at the beginning, there were no commercials. There were commercial breaks, but no commercials had been inserted into those spots. Weird but very nice!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Odd about the ads. I've been watching the show via the Firestick going into the FreeVee app, and the commercials have been about what I was expecting. Yesterday, though, I watched Ep. 8 through the Prime app on the OS for the LG TV, and apart from one ad for FreeVee at the beginning, there were no commercials. There were commercial breaks, but no commercials had been inserted into those spots. Weird but very nice!
It's been very inconsistent for me. The first four episodes, only one brief ad break in each episode. The second week, with episodes 5 and 6, had at least as many ads as a broadcast show, with multiple 2 minute+ ad breaks per episode. This past Friday, with episodes 6 and 7, back to one brief ad break per episode.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good finale, with a few twists and turns I didn't see coming along with several I did. I'm glad this was already renewed for a second season, because the season finale ends on a brutal cliffhanger.

I'll probably chime in with more in a few days once everybody's had a chance to finish the season.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Good finale, with a few twists and turns I didn't see coming along with several I did. I'm glad this was already renewed for a second season, because the season finale ends on a brutal cliffhanger.
I hate that they did that! I haven't watched it yet, but I despise cliffhangers in TV shows. Did they honestly think Bosch fans wouldn't come back to season two without doing that? Lame!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finally finished the season. Yes, the cliffhanger irritated me just as much as I expected it would. I loved the two stalking sequences with Bosch and the assassin in the final episode. I think season 6 ended on the same kind of life and death stalking of Bosch, so it's become expected in the show. These didn't disappoint. Overall, very happy about the season. Looking forward to more.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My favorite moment of the season was when Maddie and her partner responded to a call and found the Hispanic gangbanger dying on the floor, riddled with bullets. Maddie stays with him the whole way through and gives him what comfort she can as he passes away. Her training officer realizes in that moment is she isn't just an entitled rich white girl who says all of the right idealistic things; like her father, Maddie really does believe that "everybody counts or nobody counts." Whatever life this guy lived leading up to that moment, he is a human being.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Renewed for Season 3
Amazon Studios Press Release said:

Amazon Freevee Renews Hit Series Bosch: Legacy for Third Season Ahead Of Season Two Premiere This Fall​

May 01, 2023

freevee

Amazon Freevee Renews Hit Series Bosch: Legacy for Third Season
Ahead Of Season Two Premiere This Fall

The first season of Bosch: Legacy built on the loyal fan base of the original
series, delivering a higher number of viewers
1 than any previous season of
Bosch

Photo Credit: (L to R) Madison Lintz as Maddie Bosch; Titus Welliver as Harry Bosch; Mimi Rogers as Honey Chandler. Photo courtesy of Matthias Clamer for Amazon Freevee.

Photo Credit: (L to R) Madison Lintz as Maddie Bosch; Titus Welliver as Harry
Bosch; Mimi Rogers as Honey Chandler. Photo courtesy of Matthias Clamer for
Amazon Freevee.

NEW YORK—May 1, 2023—Harry Bosch’s pursuit of justice continues! Prior to the Amazon NewFront presentation today, Amazon Freevee announced that Bosch: Legacy will return for a third season, ahead of the second season premiere this fall. Airing last year, the first season of Bosch: Legacy built on the loyal fan base of the original series and enticed new audiences, delivering a higher number of viewers than any previous season of Bosch.

Bosch: Legacy follows Harry Bosch (Titus Welliver), a retired homicide detective turned private investigator, as he embarks on the next chapter of his career; attorney Honey “Money” Chandler (Mimi Rogers), who struggles to maintain her faith in the justice system after surviving an attempted murder; and Maddie Bosch (Madison Lintz), as she discovers the possibilities and challenges of being a rookie patrol cop on the streets of Los Angeles. During Season Two, Bosch and Chandler work together to seek out a killer who just might find them first. As a result of being kidnapped by a masked assailant, Maddie Bosch's law enforcement career hangs in the balance. While they hunt for Maddie, the FBI scrutinizes Carl Rogers' murder and places Bosch and Chandler under suspicion.

"The story of Harry Bosch has evolved over the years, and his journey is far from over,” said Lauren Anderson, head of AVOD Originals, unscripted, and targeted programming, Amazon Studios. “This renewal of Bosch: Legacy is a testament to the enduring power of the world Michael Connelly built. We look forward to giving Bosch fandom the next chapter for these beloved characters."

“What a gift and a joy it is to be able to dig into these characters again and take their stories even further," said Michael Connelly, writer and executive producer. “Ten years ago, we began this amazing journey, partnering with Prime Video and now Amazon Freevee, and I couldn’t be happier with what we’ve done and will do.”

The returning cast for Season Two of Bosch: Legacy will include Jamie Hector (Det. Jerry Edgar), Stephen A. Chang (Maurice “Mo” Bassi), Denise Sanchez (Det. Reina Vasquez), David Moses (Martin Rose),

Cynthia Kaye McWilliams (Det. Joan Bennett), Scott Klace (Sgt. John Mankiewicz), Gregory Scott Cummins (Det. “Crate” Moore), Troy Evans (Det. “Barrel” Johnson), Jacqueline Pinol (Det. Julie Epinosa), Jacqueline Obradors (Christine Vega), DaJuan Johnson (Rondell Pierce), and David Marciano (Det. Brad Conniff).

Bosch: Legacy Season Two will see the introductions of David Denman (Mare of Easttown, Brightburn) as Kurt Dockweiler, Patrick Brennan (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2, The Next Three Days) as David Foster, Rafael Cabrera (Too Old to Die Young, S.W.A.T.) as Vince Harrick, Bruce Davison (X-Men, The Crucible) as James Rafferty, Jessica Camacho (All Rise, Watchmen) as Jade Quinn, and Guy Wilson (Angelyne, Days of Our Lives) as Det. Kevin Long.

Bosch: Legacy, from Fabel Entertainment, is executive produced by Michael Connelly, Eric Overmyer, Tom Bernardo, Henrik Bastin, Pieter Jan Brugge, and Titus Welliver.

Earlier this year, Amazon Studios announced the expansion of the Harry Bosch universe with the development of two more police dramas inspired by the work of best-selling author Michael Connelly. The first, the Untitled J. Edgar project, follows Harry Bosch’s former partner, Detective Jerry Edgar, who is tapped for an undercover FBI mission in Little Haiti, Miami. Jamie Hector, who starred opposite Titus Welliver on the original Bosch series, is confirmed to reprise his role in the developing project. Additionally, the Untitled Renee Ballard project, centers on a character that has not appeared on the two Bosch series to date: Detective Renee Ballard, who is tasked with running the LAPD’s new cold-case division.

About Amazon Freevee
Amazon Freevee is a streaming video service with thousands of premium movies and TV shows, including Originals and free ad-supported (FAST) channels, available anytime, for free.
  • Expansive Catalog: Amazon Freevee offers viewers ambitious Originals, including Bosch: Legacy; Emmy-winning court program Judy Justice; coming-of-age drama High School; docu-comedy series Jury Duty; performance special Monumental: Ellie Goulding at Kew Gardens; reality design series Hollywood Houselift with Jeff Lewis; comedy series Sprung; music documentary Post Malone: Runaway; heist drama Leverage: Redemption; spy thriller Alex Rider; and the sports docuseries UNINTERRUPTED’s Top Class: The Life and Times of the Sierra Canyon Trailblazers. Combined with an always updating library of broadly appealing hit movies and TV shows across a wide selection of genres, and a catalog of more than 250 FAST channels, including Judy Justice and Crime 360, Amazon Freevee delivers customers the content they would expect to see on a paid service.
  • Free: The entire catalog of content on the service is free. No paid subscriptions necessary.
  • Limited Ads: Amazon Freevee provides customers highly sought content supported by limited advertising.
  • Instant Access: Amazon Freevee is available as an app on Fire TV, Fire Tablets, and within the Prime Video app. Amazon Freevee is available as an app on third party devices including Roku, Samsung smart TVs (2017-2021 models), Apple TV 4K, Apple TV HD, Comcast’s Xfinity Flex, Xfinity X1, Chromecast with Google TV, NVIDIA SHIELD and other Android TV devices, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 consoles, as well as LG Smart TVs (2018-2021 models). The app is also available on iPhone, iPad, and Android mobile devices.
To learn more about Amazon Freevee, visit www.amazon.com/freevee and follow @AmazonFreevee.

###​

Amazon Freevee PR Contacts:
Dezmon Gilmore
[email protected]

Austin Kim
[email protected]

Katie Barker
[email protected]

Smithhouse Strategy for Amazon Freevee:
[email protected]

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Amazon Studios Press Release said:

Amazon Freevee Previews Bosch: Legacy Season Two Premiere With First-Look Teaser​

Aug 24, 2023

full

The Season Two global premiere of the hit series, based on Michael Connelly’s
best-selling novel, streams October 20 with four back-to-back episodes

The Season Two global premiere of the hit series, based on Michael Connelly’s best-selling novel, streams October 20 with four back-to-back episodes

Watch the Official Teaser HERE
Key Art and Images are Available HERE
All 10 Episodes Are Now Available via Screeners.com

REVIEWS AND CONTENT EMBARGOED UNTIL OCTOBER 16 at 9:00 A.M. EDT/6:00 A.M. PDT

*PLEASE NOTE DO-NOT-REVEALS
HERE

CULVER CITY, California—August 24, 2023—Harry Bosch knows no rules when it comes to his legacy! Today, Amazon Freevee released the teaser for the highly anticipated second season return of the hit drama, Bosch: Legacy. The second season picks up with the Season One cliffhanger, following a masked assailant abducting Madeline “Maddie” Bosch (Madison Lintz). The first four episodes of the new season will be available to stream exclusively on Amazon Freevee in the U.S., UK, Germany, and Austria beginning on October 20, with two additional episodes available each Friday through November 10. The series will also be available day-and-date as an Amazon Original in 35 other territories around the world via Prime Video.

The new season includes the return of beloved characters from the original Bosch series, including Jerry Edgar (Jamie Hector), Det. Robert “Crate” Moore (Gregory Scott Cummins), and Det. “Barrel” Johnson (Troy Evans), who join Bosch (Titus Welliver), Honey “Money” Chandler (Mimi Rogers), Maurice “Mo” Bassi (Stephen A. Chang), and Det. Reina Vasquez (Denise Sanchez) in the search to find Maddie before time runs out. Additional returning cast members include Martin Rose (David Moses), Det. Joan Bennett (Cynthia Kaye McWilliams), Sgt. John Mankiewicz (Scott Klace), Det. Julie Espinosa (Jacqueline Pinol), Christine Vega (Jacqueline Obradors), Rondell Pierce (DaJuan Johnson), and Det. Brad Conniff (David Marciano).

Bosch: Legacy follows Harry Bosch, a retired homicide detective turned private investigator, as he embarks on the next chapter of his career; attorney Honey “Money” Chandler, who struggles to maintain her faith in the justice system after surviving an attempted murder; and Maddie Bosch, as she discovers the possibilities and challenges of being a rookie patrol cop on the streets of Los Angeles. During Season Two, Bosch and Chandler work together to seek out a killer who just might find them first. As a result of being kidnapped by a masked assailant, Maddie Bosch's law enforcement career hangs in the balance. The FBI scrutinizes Carl Rogers' murder and places Bosch and Chandler under suspicion.

Bosch: Legacy Season Two will see the introductions of Anthony Michael Hall (National Lampoon’s Vacation, The Dark Knight) as Special Agent Will Barron, Max Martini (Pacific Rim, 13 Hours) as Don Ellis, David Denman (Mare of Easttown, Brightburn) as Kurt Dockweiler, Patrick Brennan (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2, The Next Three Days) as David Foster, Rafael Cabrera (Too Old to Die Young, S.W.A.T.) as Vince Harrick, Bruce Davison (X-Men, The Crucible) as James Rafferty, Jessica Camacho (All Rise, Watchmen) as Jade Quinn, and Guy Wilson (Angelyne, Days of Our Lives) as Kevin Long.

Bosch: Legacy, from Fabel Entertainment, is executive produced by Michael Connelly, Eric Overmyer, Tom Bernardo, Henrik Bastin, Pieter Jan Brugge, and Titus Welliver.

Fans can prepare for the new season by reading The Crossing, the best-selling Michael Connelly novel the new season is loosely based on, which is available via Amazon Books/Kindle. Check out the Harry Bosch audiobook series on Audible, which is voiced by Titus Welliver, and get your first listen free!

###​

About Amazon Freevee
Amazon Freevee is a streaming video service with thousands of premium movies and TV shows, including Originals and free ad-supported (FAST) channels, available anytime, for free.
  • Expansive Catalog: Amazon Freevee offers viewers ambitious Originals, including Bosch: Legacy; Emmy-winning court program Judy Justice; coming-of-age drama High School; docu-comedy series Jury Duty; performance special Monumental: Ellie Goulding at Kew Gardens; coming-of-age comedy Primo; reality design series Hollywood Houselift with Jeff Lewis; comedy series Sprung; music documentary Post Malone: Runaway; heist drama Leverage: Redemption; spy thriller Alex Rider; and the sports docuseries UNINTERRUPTED’s Top Class: The Life and Times of the Sierra Canyon Trailblazers. Combined with an always updating library of broadly appealing hit movies and TV shows across a wide selection of genres, and a catalog of more than 350 FAST channels, including Judy Justice and Crime 360, Amazon Freevee delivers customers the content they would expect to see on a paid service.
  • Free: The entire catalog of content on the service is free. No paid subscriptions necessary.
  • Limited Ads: Amazon Freevee provides customers highly sought content supported by limited advertising.
  • Instant Access: Amazon Freevee is available as an app on Fire TV, Fire Tablets, and within the Prime Video app. Amazon Freevee is available as an app on third party devices including Roku, Samsung smart TVs (2017-2021 models), Apple TV 4K, Apple TV HD, Comcast’s Xfinity Flex, Xfinity X1, Chromecast with Google TV, NVIDIA SHIELD and other Android TV devices, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 consoles, as well as LG Smart TVs (2018-2021 models). The app is also available on iPhone, iPad, and Android mobile devices.
To learn more about Amazon Freevee, visit www.amazon.com/freevee and follow @AmazonFreevee.

###​

Freevee PR Contacts:
Dezmon Gilmore
[email protected]

Austin Kim
[email protected]

Katie Barker
[email protected]

SMITHHOUSE for Amazon Freevee:
[email protected]

Teaser Trailer:

First Look Photos:
It’s personal for Harry Bosch as season two kicks off with a two episode premiere this fall (Photo Credit: Tyler Golden)
It’s personal for Harry Bosch as season two kicks off with a two episode premiere this fall (Photo Credit: Tyler Golden)

Anthony Michael Hall joins Bosch: Legacy as Special Agent Barron (Photo Credit: Tyler Golden)
Anthony Michael Hall joins Bosch: Legacy as Special Agent Barron (Photo Credit: Tyler Golden)

Honey Chandler (Mimi Rogers) and Bosch (Titus Welliver) reunite in season two of Bosch: Legacy (Photo Credit: Greg Gayne)
Honey Chandler (Mimi Rogers) and Bosch (Titus Welliver) reunite in season two of Bosch: Legacy (Photo Credit: Greg Gayne)

Officer Reina Vasquez (Denise G. Sanchez) and Harry Bosch (Titus Welliver) in season two of Bosch Legacy (Photo Credit: Warrick Page)
Officer Reina Vasquez (Denise G. Sanchez) and Harry Bosch (Titus Welliver) in season two of Bosch Legacy (Photo Credit: Warrick Page)

Officer Reina Vasquez (Denise G. Sanchez) and Mo (Stephen A. Chang) return for Bosch: Legacy season two (Photo Credit: Tyler Golden)
Officer Reina Vasquez (Denise G. Sanchez) and Mo (Stephen A. Chang) return for Bosch: Legacy season two (Photo Credit: Tyler Golden)

First look at Jerry Edgar’s (Jamie Hector) epic return to Bosch Legacy for season two (Photo Credit: Greg Gayne)
First look at Jerry Edgar’s (Jamie Hector) epic return to Bosch Legacy for season two (Photo Credit: Greg Gayne)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks