The Seven-Ups
Kinsey
The Long Hot Summer

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
cinerama10 said:
Fox have already released DOCTOR DOLITTLE on bluray. I have had it for some time.
cinerama10 said:
Fox have already released DOCTOR DOLITTLE on bluray. I have had it for some time.
Yes, but I understand the quality is not very good and I bet there is not even a TODD-AO title in the credits. I saw this in TODD-AO and a proper transfer from 65mm sources would equal the best of them,bar none.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
cinerama10 said:
I understand that the 70mm film THE BLUE BIRD was a Russian/USA coproduction so maybe Fox don't have the rights? What about RALLY 'ROUND THE FLAG BOYS and THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (A cinemascope remake of THE RAINS CAME)? There are many more early cinemascope films from Fox that have yet to see the light on bluray such as THE NIGHT PEOPLE and SOME CAME RUNNING.
That US/Russian The Blue Bird certainly plays on the Fox Movie Channel especially during holiday season. I've seen it a couple of times in the past year. I always mean to burn a DVD of it, but it's just such a terrible movie that I always talk myself out of it.

I suspect the previous poster was referring to the 1940 Shirley Temple The Blue Bird. It was one of the offerings on the Fox Vote Your Choice list a couple of years ago, so there must be an HD master for it somewhere.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Matt Hough said:
That US/Russian The Blue Bird certainly plays on the Fox Movie Channel especially during holiday season. I've seen it a couple of times in the past year. I always mean to burn a DVD of it, but it's just such a terrible movie that I always talk myself out of it.

I suspect the previous poster was referring to the 1940 Shirley Temple The Blue Bird. It was one of the offerings on the Fox Vote Your Choice list a couple of years ago, so there must be an HD master for it somewhere.
Yes I was referring to the '40 Shirley Temple version. :)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
trajan said:
Yes, but I understand the quality is not very good and I bet there is not even a TODD-AO title in the credits. I saw this in TODD-AO and a proper transfer from 65mm sources would equal the best of them,bar none.
You are right in that there is no mention of TODD-AO in the credits but it does have the overture, entracte and play-out music.I thought that the quality was brilliant. I did also see it in 70mm decades ago.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
classicmovieguy said:
Yes I was referring to the '40 Shirley Temple version. :)
Yes the Russian/USA version was a disaster at the box office and boring as well. The Shirley Temple version was brilliant

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
cinerama10 said:
You are right in that there is no mention of TODD-AO in the credits but it does have the overture, entracte and play-out music.I thought that the quality was brilliant. I did also see it in 70mm decades ago.
Quality is decent but the colours seem faded somewhat; although I remember the colours not looking much better on the DVD or indeed on VHS.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The Fly II
One Million Years BC - uncut UK edition
Hand of Death
Spacemaster X-7
Charlie Chan films
Mr Moto films
Fallen Angel Nightmare Alley
Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte
The Best of EverythingPeyton (Manning) Place :)
Dangerous Crossing
Daisy Kenyon
I Wake Up Screaming
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Vicki
The Black Widow
Kiss of Death
The Razors Edge
The Lost World 1960

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Wouldn't a better title for a thread like this be something like "Films I wish Fox would be willing to hand over to 3rd parties in 2015"? There's very little Fox release themselves these days, and many of the wishlist titles folks have come up with are obscure to semi-obscure. I have no hope of ever seeing even better-known films like FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX (original) or a Von Ryan's Express remaster hit Blu-ray, at least not from Fox. Someone on another forum even suggested that The Abyss might end up with Twilight Time! A couple of years ago I would've scoffed at such a thing but today I'm actually afraid this might happen. It's a very different world now.

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
cineMANIAC said:
Someone on another forum even suggested that The Abyss might end up with Twilight Time!
No offense, but everyone who seriously believes in that is an idiot.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
In terms of specific titles - The Seven-Ups and Bedazzled (1967).

In general - pretty much any of the film noir titles would be welcome.

- Walter.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
BEDAZZLED
BARTON FINK (I have the region-free UK disc)
FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX
MILLIONS
and my number one pick
SOLARIS (2002), which I can't believe never made the jump to hi-def.

(and of course THE ABYSS and TRUE LIES)

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Very surprising that True Lies and The Abyss haven't been released on Blu-ray yet. If Fox were only going to release two more catalogs themselves, then those would be it. But can you imagine the uproar if Twilight Time got them? :P

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I forgot about Solaris (2002). Definitely.

I agree that it is somewhat surprising that this film hasn't been released on Blu-Ray considering the talent associated with the film.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks