What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I emailed iTunes many times about the pan and scan of SONS OF KATIE ELDER and to please fix it. They never did. iTunes has never fixed the aspect ratio of THE LONGEST DAY or THE COWBOYS. All other streaming services have those 3 films in the proper aspect ratio.
I requested a refund for my recent purchase of "Sons of Katie Elder". Apple issued the refund within 24 hours, While it would be nice if they would fix the transfer, at least their customer service is very responsive regarding refunds.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
BTW, The Navigator is an interesting, inventive movie that’s currently $3.
What a strange coincidence! I was listening to the Alien 3 commentary track during my morning walk today and I believe Richard Edlund brought up this film saying how much he loved it. It sounded interesting and I was going to check it out later. Thanks for the heads up John! Sold!:)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Vincent Ward directed it early in his career, which is the connection to Alien 3. It’s really an interesting movie.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In case anyone is interested, The Flintstones complete series is now available in HD on iTunes (price $59.99, don’t know if that’s a sale price or permanent).

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Those two westerns are still on sale for $4.99. I would not object to purchasing one or both if there was a very strong recommendation.

All those other western titles I have on Blu-ray already, I believe.

Ron, 7 Men From Now is one of the six Randolph Scott films directed by Budd Boeticcher which are now considered minor classics (a 7th film -Wesbound is only okay IMO). Scott was in his late 50's at the time he made those films, and he brings a lean, hard-bitten, tough quality to westerns which was lacking at the time.

I like The Violent Men because of the excellent cast and some badass characters and fight scenes. I generally find Glenn Ford's westerns to be quality affairs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In case anyone is interested, The Flintstones complete series is now available in HD on iTunes (price $59.99, don’t know if that’s a sale price or permanent).
That’s the same price as the upcoming discs, so I expect there to be sales at least half off that price, if you wait.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron, 7 Men From Now is one of the six Randolph Scott films directed by Budd Boeticcher which are now considered minor classics (a 7th film -Wesbound is only okay IMO). Scott was in his late 50's at the time he made those films, and he brings a lean, hard-bitten, tough quality to westerns which was lacking at the time.

I like The Violent Men because of the excellent cast and some badass characters and fight scenes. I generally find Glenn Ford's westerns to be quality affairs.
@Ronald Epstein I believe 7 Men from Now was the first of those films that Scott starred in that Boeticcher directed. It's a good western in which Lee Marvin contributed a great deal to that movie. Another thing about that movie is you really see how much alcohol really aged the beautiful Gail Russell. She was only 31 or 32 when she filmed that movie, but she looked 10 years older. She died five years after this movie came out at 36 years of age.

As to The Violent Men my thoughts on that western can be found here. The HD digital on iTunes is definitely the same used for 2005 DVD and the stream I watched on The Criterion Channel earlier this past summer. Again, an entertaining western, but it should have been better with Glenn Ford, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson and Brian Keith.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’ve never seen Shane and I’d much rather do a $5 digital purchase or rental than blind buying the disc; does the iTunes ratio ruin the film?
I know I’m in the minority but I was disappointed by SHANE. One main reason is the actor who plays the young boy is so annoying. I thought overall it was just OK.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know I’m in the minority but I was disappointed by SHANE. One main reason is the actor who plays the young boy is so annoying. I thought overall it was just OK.
Your reaction isn't surprising as I think those that watch "Shane" as a young boy back in the day would appreciate the movie more so than somebody that watches it today as an adult.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The Hobbit trilogy sets are on sale.
$20 and $30 for each.

iTunes says I have the individuals and will “allow” me to buy the extended set.

These sets get upgraded yes?

I already know my Hobbits won’t upgrade because I added them in on MA.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Picked up The Choirboys for $4.99. Don’t think I’ve seen it since the theater in 1977. Remember thinking it was hilarious.
“Sucky Fucky 5 Bucks!” ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks