What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Pictures’ 100th anniversary (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SONY PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT CELEBRATES COLUMBIA PICTURES' 100TH ANNIVERSARY
fe87ebef-3270-2a12-3252-0a0aadda71ab.png
A YEAR FILLED WITH ENGAGING EXPERIENCES, EXCLUSIVE RELEASES AND DEALS, SHOWCASING ICONIC FILMS AS PART OF THE COLUMBIA 100TH CELEBRATION
Los Angeles, CA (January 10): In celebration of Columbia Pictures’ 100th anniversary, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) will be presenting a wide variety of unique catalog offerings throughout 2024, across the entire Sony Pictures Entertainment library of movies and TV shows. This celebration will highlight the studio’s blockbuster franchises, fan-favorites and cult classics, quotable perennials and little-known gems, award-winners, iconic star-making performances, filmmaker-driven showcases, and everything in between.

January kicks off with two great ways to revisit the studio’s library and supercharge movie collections, with both a physical disc sale at Amazon and a one-of-a-kind “100 movies for $100” digital bundle. The Amazon sale—across 4K Ultra HDs, Blu-rays and DVDs—will begin on January 10th and will include deals on major library titles such as GHOSTBUSTERS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and more.

Then on January 16th, in addition to an overall digital movie sale, there will be a “100 movies for $100” digital bundle available at participating digital retailers, featuring such acclaimed and iconic titles as THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI, TOOTSIE, 2012, MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON and many more. Visit 100for100sale.com for more information.

The 100th anniversary celebration will continue throughout 2024 with more details to come.

Engage with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and share your favorite moments, memorable quotes and milestone movies from the studio’s library on social media at:

Hashtag: #ColumbiaPictures100

Twitter: https://twitter.com/sonypictures
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sonypictures/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SonyPictures/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/sonypictures

And please visit our official site for the 100th:
www.columbiapictures100.com

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
A 100 films for $100 digital sounds fantastic but I am already going to have many of them I am sure. Hope they include many from the 30's to '60's but I expect most will be from the last 30 years.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A 100 films for $100 digital sounds fantastic but I am already going to have many of them I am sure. Hope they include many from the 30's to '60's but I expect most will be from the last 30 years.

I am looking forward to this promotion even though I agree many of us will own most of what is being offered.

However, even if we own 50 of the 100 films, $2 each is not a bad price for a digital copy.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I am looking forward to this promotion even though I agree many of us will own most of what is being offered.

However, even if we own 50 of the 100 films, $2 each is not a bad price for a digital copy.

Well, that alone certainly beats what Warner did w/ their celebration, LOL.

Guess I should be glad I didn't recently end up buying more of their digitals for $5 while waiting for 4K upgrades first on Apple/iTunes, eg. I woulda bought Volver (and probably a few others), for instance, if it already got the 4K upgrade on there (vs elsewhere)... Wonder how many from the year-plus-old Sony 4K boxset (that had many 4K discs not available as standalones and also didn't come w/ DCs) might be included in this deal -- too bad I did recently, finally jump on Run Lola Run and The City of Lost Children both in 4K for $5 each (from that boxset)... but then again, TCoLC might not actually be in this deal, especially since it's apparently not MoviesAnywhere-eligible, while I imagine RLR will be...

This should probably also remedy a few cases where I got shafted out of 4K DCs (for 4K discs I bought) because I didn't know better at the time and redeemed them via Vudu several years back before they finally got 4K upgraded, eg. Leon: The Professional, The Fifth Element, Air Force One, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon -- I never got them corrected (and resisted paying for upgrades so far), but imagine they'll all be included in this deal.

And then, in some cases where I/we already own the digital (besides the few DCs I/we got shafted), would be nice to get 4Ks propagated thru MA as well (that didn't before because I/we previously bought/redeemed them in HD)...

_Man_

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I have never seen a Columbia Picture that started with this logo. Anyone know of a picture that used it? It's possible that films that used it when first released had their "Columbia Lady" changed to a later Lady with a Torch when re released.

1704913276114.png

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have never seen a Columbia Picture that started with this logo. Anyone know of a picture that used it? It's possible that films that used it when first released had their "Columbia Lady" changed to a later Lady with a Torch when re released.

View attachment 209074

Thought there was a recent brief/passing mention/discussion about that maybe buried in another (basically unrelated) thread... maybe RAH's review thread for The Exorcist 4K (where discussions about Warner's changed logos and such occurred at greater length)?

Of course, makes more sense to discuss it here instead, heh...

_Man_

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

View attachment 209074
According to closinglogos.com, this logo [and a text variant] were in use from March 1924 to end of December 1927, and the first variations of the "Lady with a Torch" appeared in January 1928. Take that for what you will. https://www.closinglogos.com/page/Columbia_Pictures

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
I really hope they finally release the Three Stooges shorts on Blu-ray, it wouldn't be right to ignore them, since they are still immensely popular to this day, and of course a big part of Columbia's 100th Anniversary.

• Appreciate

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I really hope they finally release the Three Stooges shorts on Blu-ray, it wouldn't be right to ignore them, since they are still immensely popular to this day, and of course a big part of Columbia's 100th Anniversary.
In the world of “shorts”, The Three Stooges were to Columbia Pictures what Mickey Mouse was to Disney.

Agreed, bring ‘em on in BD droves.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Shout Factory would likely release The Three Stooges on blu as they licensed a lot of Columbia's back catalogue these past few years.

Columbia last released anything of The Stooges was in 2016 for a complete DVD collection.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Sony Pictures has already been doing an astounding job in ushering in the 100th anniversary of Columbia Pictures.

How so?

Just over 3.5 years, ago, we saw the classy, compact and sturdy release of the “Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection: Volume 1” roll out in high fashion.

Quite the centenary calling card and build, with Volumes 2 and 3 which had annually followed.

Now, within this 100th anniversary year, we are seeing the release of Volume 4. To my mind, everything has been leading up to something amazing for 2024; including today’s kick-off thread, as supplied by Ronald Epstein.

My prediction, concerning these aforementioned boxed sets, is that we will also see a one-two punch within this summer for an announcement towards Volumes 5; along with releases of the much-in-demand Stand Alones from the previous 3 volumes.

No doubts, Grover Crisp and his restoration team will be leading the way for Sony with great and plentiful surprises, in 2024.

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Id like a classic set with The Whistler movies and Before Midnight from 1933 with Ralph Bellamy ! A black and white set would be awesome !

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Speaking of logos, a great way to celebrate the studios' 100th is to drop "SONY" from the forefront and give the lady her spotlight back. It's Columbia Pictures, not SONY. Nobody cares who the corporate owner is.

Not interested in the digital/streaming part of this but I will be keeping an eye on all the disc-related goings-on, particularly the cult titles. The Golden Age stuff not so much except for films like The Devil At 4 O'Clock, which, bizarrely, is still MIA on HD. Hopefully they also plan on dusting off more contemporary titles still stuck on DVD, like Desperate Measures - an excellent thriller. And where are The Forsaken and The Mothman Prophecies? This could be a good year at Columbia IF they plan on being more inclusive - and active. Warner's anny last year was weak beyond belief.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks