What's new

Sony Pictures to celebrate Columbia Pictures 100th Anniversary in 2024 (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Hmm, CBC, the Corned-Beef-and-Cabbage studio, has actually made it to 100. Seems like a good time to petition for a big ole "Jack Holt" box-set on blu-ray. Okay, well maybe just a smaller, more modest "Jinx Falkenburg" collection.

Sony? hello. Sony? tap-tap. Sony? Anyone there?
How about an "Early Rita Hayworth" box-set of her B feature movies?

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Any chance WB or MGM releases The Wizard of Oz in an 85th Anniversary deluxe box set as next year marks 85 years since the film's premiere in 1939, like they did for the 70th and 75th versions?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Any chance WB or MGM releases The Wizard of Oz in an 85th Anniversary deluxe box set as next year marks 85 years since the film's premiere in 1939, like they did for the 70th and 75th versions?
I hope not as I rather they release something new that deserves an updated release next year.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Selznick owned GWTW for just 3 years, until 1942 when he sold his entire studio for tax reasons. Selznick solid his share of Wind to his business partner, John Whitney for $500,000 who then sold it to MGM for $2.8 million. Since 1942 MGM has had complete ownership of Wind for 81 years now.
I don’t believe that’s accurate. There may still be participations.

And keep in mind that in 2034, when it goes PD, we’ll be seeing a special edition DVD out of Korea.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I don’t believe that’s accurate. There may still be participations.

And keep in mind that in 2034, when it goes PD, we’ll be seeing a special edition DVD out of Korea.

1700232498770.png

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They must have heard us talking . Columbia Classics Volume 3 is now $71.99 at Amazon for the 6 films in the set.

That's tempting... but Criterion also just released The Last Picture Show on 4K. I haven't paid attention, but how much overlap are there w/ the included extras?

I'd also settled on just owning the 4K digitals for most of them... though I also don't have BDs of most (except an import of As Good as It Gets), so... maybe I'll just buy it and mull over (until late-Jan) whether to actually keep it... :P

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One thing I do like about Sony's approach w/ these Columbia Classics 4K sets is the sets are packaged so that you can choose to store each title as separate release on your shelves, etc w/out any extra effort... unlike most other boxsets.

_Man_

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
1986, to be precise. That was when Ted Turner bought the MGM library. Turner had licenced it back to MGM for video release, but MGM arranged with WB to distribute its titles on video as of 1990.

And it was in the late 90s that Turner sold his MGM catalog to Warner. So Warner owns GWTW now, whether we like it or not.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
A Three Stooges collection seems like a certainty between it being Columbia and the team's anniversary of being at the studio. Really excited to see what we get.

And given that at least some of the Stooge catalog exists in HD. If nothing else, there are a couple of dozen of them in Indicator's Columbia Noir sets, plus the two on both Indicator's and Twilight Time's editions of The Mad Magician, and one on Sony's Columbia Classics v.2 box bonus disc. Not to mention the Stooge feature films released on BD by Mill Creek.

My guess is that Sony likely has HD masters sitting around of most, if not all, their Stooges catalog. They're just trying to figure out the best release (streaming and/or disc) strategy.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
One thing I do like about Sony's approach w/ these Columbia Classics 4K sets is the sets are packaged so that you can choose to store each title as separate release on your shelves, etc w/out any extra effort... unlike most other boxsets.

_Man_

That's exactly what I've done with mine. The boxes I have displayed on the top of the bookcases where I shelve my discs.

I don't have the Sony Pictures Classics box, though, so I don't know if the same is true of that one. The box size and shape doesn't suggest to me that the individual discs come in their own cases, though.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
That's exactly what I've done with mine. The boxes I have displayed on the top of the bookcases where I shelve my discs.

I don't have the Sony Pictures Classics box, though, so I don't know if the same is true of that one. The box size and shape doesn't suggest to me that the individual discs come in their own cases, though.
They do. But you won't save as much space as you would for the Columbia Classics box, by taking them out.

2003236630.jpg.jpeg

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Would presume some crown jewels of the Columbia vault would be Gilda, The Big Heat, 3:10 to Yuma, All That Jazz, Last Action Hero, Gattaca, Terminator 3 & Moneyball to name a few over the decades that have not been released on 4k UHD yet.

"Hero" and "Gattaca" been out on 4K disc for a while.

"All That Jazz" was Fox on DVD in US, and "T3" was WB on DVD/BD in US.

Unless that's changed and Sony now owns them for US, they'd not be part of any 2024 Columbia campaign.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
"All That Jazz" was Fox on DVD in US, and "T3" was WB on DVD/BD in US.
All That Jazz was released on blu-ray and DVD from The Criterion Collection in 2014, a 4K restoration supervised by Schawn Belston, from the original camera negative, held at Sony Colorworks in Culver City, California.

Reactions: PMF

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
All That Jazz was released on blu-ray and DVD from The Criterion Collection in 2014, a 4K restoration supervised by Schawn Belston, from the original camera negative, held at Sony Colorworks in Culver City, California.

Yeah, I know "Jazz" was on Criterion.

But when it was issued via a non-boutique label, it was on Fox.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
The original Born Yesterday (1950) with Oscar winner Judy Holliday, William Holden and Broderick Crawford from Columbia.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks