What's new

Sony Pictures to celebrate Columbia Pictures 100th Anniversary in 2024 (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My fear would be to finally get a unreleased title (such as You Were Never Lovelier) as part of this set, but only available as part of this set.

I will (probably) already own many of the titles likely to be in this set.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Yeah, I know "Jazz" was on Criterion.

But when it was issued via a non-boutique label, it was on Fox.
It was a coproduction between Fox and Columbia, but seems like Fox has owned the home video rights in North America and other territories for a while (and of course, would now be with Disney).

What's interesting is that the very first laserdisc from Magnetic Video actually has both the Fox and Columbia logos on the cover.

Reactions: PMF

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
All That Jazz was released on blu-ray and DVD from The Criterion Collection in 2014, a 4K restoration supervised by Schawn Belston, from the original camera negative, held at Sony Colorworks in Culver City, California.

Yeah, I know "Jazz" was on Criterion.

But when it was issued via a non-boutique label, it was on Fox.
Co-production of Fox and Columbia, which may go some way to explaining how Sony has the OCN. Fox held North American distribution rights.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
If there are any Canadians out there still looking for the 4K Lawrence of Arabia, Bay Street Video has some in stock.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The word 'curated' always worries me (might just be some fancy repackaging!). Let's see what comes out. Columbia and MGM anniversaries, Cameron's films, should make 2024 a good year although I expect it to be downhill after that.
Downhill? Fret not. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised. In a 4K/UHD world, the output of catalogue titles in 2023 were actually gathering an interesting momentum. Maybe things didn’t quite live up to an “Anniversary” level per se, but there was still much to celebrate.

Last edited:

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Has anyone heard any news of releases that Columbia/ Sony may release for the 100th? The release schedule is now getting up to May and apart from the new 4K Set nothing of interest from the catalogue. Maybe the second half of 2024 will have lots of treats for us.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
^ They're gonna have their hands full with the new Disney deal unless the deal is meaningless like so many are predicting. Depending on the schedule, I'm only expecting more pricey Columbia Classics Volumes. Columbia's library isn't very large and their big guns are already on disc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Has anyone heard any news of releases that Columbia/ Sony may release for the 100th? The release schedule is now getting up to May and apart from the new 4K Set nothing of interest from the catalogue. Maybe the second half of 2024 will have lots of treats for us.

I have been mentioning this several times over

It's their 100th Anniversary and the only announcement we got was 100 films on digital and STEEL MAGNOLIAS (which hardly seems to be a big gun catalog title).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I would be happy if there were any movie theater festivals saluting Columbia Pictures as there were on the 50th Anniversary. So far I have heard of nothing at the Film Forum or the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. Perhaps during the summer there will be something. The TCM Festival doesn't seem to be taken much note. I think a few Columbia Pictures are included this year as they are in most years. I haven't read anything being done at the Academy Museum or American Cinematheque in LA but again maybe in the summer. At times like this I think of the Regency Theater in NYC, which if it still existed would surely have a Columbia Pictures Film Festival on it's big screen this year and MGM, the real one, not the renamed United Artists.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I would Love:emoji_heart: to see from Sony/Columbia in 2024 .......a Restored Barabbas (1961) 4K or Bluray, A Man For All Seasons 4K UHD, The Caine Mutiny 4KUHD, Jason and the Argonauts 4K UHD, and The Three Stooges shorts in HD 1080P ! (The Curly shorts are my Favorite.) :D..... Just thought I would name a few of my Wish List Classics for the 100th Anniversary. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks