What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Where do you find a full list of the iTunes Friday sale titles? I didn’t see a Western sale section in the iTunes Store app.
Use the following site to track titles on sale at iTunes, Vudu, Amazon and Googleplay.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm kind of tempted to get the Shane widescreen iTunes, to supplement my 1.37:1 Blu-ray. That way I could choose to watch in the original ratio it was created in, or the reformatted widescreen ratio of the original theatrical release. Not to mention there's probably a good chance Paramount will revisit it in 4K someday.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve never seen Shane and I’d much rather do a $5 digital purchase or rental than blind buying the disc; does the iTunes ratio ruin the film?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I’ve never seen Shane and I’d much rather do a $5 digital purchase or rental than blind buying the disc; does the iTunes ratio ruin the film?
I have this digital as well as two different BD releases, one in which has it in1.37 and 1.66 ratios. I prefer to watch it in widescreen now as I think Paramount changed the digital's ratio from 1.37 to widescreen.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
When Shane was first prepped for HD by Paramount it was in widescreen. Warner was releasing the discs of Paramount titles at that time and when they announced Shane would be widescreen, there was such an uproar that they changed it to 1.37:1 before the Blu-ray was released. The digital HD release (still controlled by Paramount) remained widescreen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
When Shane was first prepped for HD by Paramount it was in widescreen. Warner was releasing the discs of Paramount titles at that time and when they announced Shane would be widescreen, there was such an uproar that they changed it to 1.37:1 before the Blu-ray was released. The digital HD release (still controlled by Paramount) remained widescreen.
I don’t remember an uproar except that one clown out in LA whining about it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Also, just in case you might be thinking I’m advocating a certain side of that controversy (I’m not) I did pick up the iTunes version of Shane today so that the next time I watch it I’ll be able for the first time to see an approximation of the theatrical release.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So far I bought the following westerns that I only have on DVD because no BD has been released in Region A.

7 Men from Now
The Violent Men
I picked up both of those as well. I’m a little disappointed that The Violent Men is mono. Original sound would have been magnetic stereo. I wonder if the stereo tracks have gone missing? Aspect ratio is the correct 2.55:1, but the source has a lot of dirt specks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I picked up both of those as well. I’m a little disappointed that The Violent Men is mono. Original sound would have been magnetic stereo. I wonder if the stereo tracks have gone missing? Aspect ratio is the correct 2.55:1, but the source has a lot of dirt specks.
I bought this knowing it wasn't the best because I recently watched it on the Criterion Channel. I'm hoping that one day it gets a new master in which the digital is updated.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Those two westerns are still on sale for $4.99. I would not object to purchasing one or both if there was a very strong recommendation.

All those other western titles I have on Blu-ray already, I believe.

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I emailed iTunes many times about the pan and scan of SONS OF KATIE ELDER and to please fix it. They never did. iTunes has never fixed the aspect ratio of THE LONGEST DAY or THE COWBOYS. All other streaming services have those 3 films in the proper aspect ratio.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It has been my experience that most streaming services are really horrible at fixing these mistakes that they (customer service) often blame on the studios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yllanes