What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (3 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Also picked up Fatal Attraction in 4K/Dolby Vision on iTunes for $4.99. We had not seen this in almost 20 years (I only had it on DVD). My wife and I watched it last night. It's still as suspenseful as I remembered, with some great performances.

Quoting Dr. Sheldon Cooper from The Big Band Theory: "Bitches, they be crazy".

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Heads up for Western fans. A good batch of Westerns for the iTunes Friday sales. I‘ll have a few decisions to make. Right off the bat I’ll get 7 Men from Now and the ‘57 3:10 From Yuma, which I hope is the Criterion transfer and a candidate for 4K upgrade.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So here’s a question. I missed out on the Twilight Time Major Dundee which had both cuts of the film. On iTunes for $4.99 it has the theatrical 122 minute cut with mono sound. The Movies Anywhere app claims to be the 136 minute cut with 5.1 sound. Can anyone confirm that MA actually has the extended version which would give me access to both cuts (though on different services)?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Be careful about one western on iTunes that's for sale which is "The Sons of Katie Elder" 2.35 ratio which isn't anamorphic as it is on Vudu.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Heads up for Western fans. A good batch of Westerns for the iTunes Friday sales. I‘ll have a few decisions to make. Right off the bat I’ll get 7 Men from Now and the ‘57 3:10 From Yuma, which I hope is the Criterion transfer and a candidate for 4K upgrade.
I bought 3:10 to Yuma over two years ago, but I'm not so sure it's derived from the same master used for my Criterion BD. I love this movie so I might take a look today to confirm as the Criterion titles on iTunes usually has their artwork, but not 3:10.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Crawdaddy, this looks like a western lollapalooza! Anything you strongly recommend?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So here’s a question. I missed out on the Twilight Time Major Dundee which had both cuts of the film. On iTunes for $4.99 it has the theatrical 122 minute cut with mono sound. The Movies Anywhere app claims to be the 136 minute cut with 5.1 sound. Can anyone confirm that MA actually has the extended version which would give me access to both cuts (though on different services)?
It looks like all of the major services (Apple TV, Prime Video, Vudu, FandangoNow, Google) have the 122-minute version with either mono or stereo sound (I'm leery anytime a service says "stereo" on older films and take it as meaning 2-channel audio), with Apple TV having the lowest price of $4.99. Since no one has responded in the last 12 hours or so, you may want to roll the dice with that $5 purchase at Apple TV and see what happens with Movies Anywhere.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I picked up The Man From Laramie. The Twilight Time BD is out of print, and was on my wish list. Also bought The Sons of Katie Elder.

Lots of great westerns on sale, for those just starting a collection. Some classics I noticed, all of which I own on disc:
The Professionals
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
How the West Was Won
3:10 to Yuma
True Grit
The Wild Bunch
Once Upon a Time in the West
Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
El Dorado
Shane
Rio Bravo

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I picked up The Man From Laramie. The Twilight Time BD is out of print, and was on my wish list. Also bought The Sons of Katie Elder.

Lots of great westerns on sale, for those just starting a collection. Some classics I noticed, all of which I own on disc:
The Professionals
How the West Was Won
True Grit
The Wild Bunch
Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
El Dorado
Shane
Rio Bravo
IMO, that was a mistake as I mentioned this morning, it's windowboxed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Crawdaddy, this looks like a western lollapalooza! Anything you strongly recommend?
How many of the following you have on Blu-ray?

The Professionals
How the West Was Won
True Grit
The Wild Bunch
Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
El Dorado
Shane
Rio Bravo

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It looks like all of the major services (Apple TV, Prime Video, Vudu, FandangoNow, Google) have the 122-minute version with either mono or stereo sound (I'm leery anytime a service says "stereo" on older films and take it as meaning 2-channel audio), with Apple TV having the lowest price of $4.99. Since no one has responded in the last 12 hours or so, you may want to roll the dice with that $5 purchase at Apple TV and see what happens with Movies Anywhere.
Thanks, dice came up good. Movies Anywhere actually IS the extended cut in with 5.1. Hopefully it stays that way.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I bought 3:10 to Yuma over two years ago, but I'm not so sure it's derived from the same master used for my Criterion BD. I love this movie so I might take a look today to confirm as the Criterion titles on iTunes usually has their artwork, but not 3:10.
The stream looks really good, so I’m happy even if it’s not exactly the same transfer, it still has Grover Crisp‘s fingerprints on it. Criterion titles on iTunes is mostly just things they actually own, like the Janus catalog. Their licensed titles rarely include digital distribution.

Update: the digital version is 1.78:1 whereas Criterion Blu is 1.85:1, so it definitely isn’t the same, however I still think it’s a beautiful stream.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks