joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"...I wrote a paper on those dogs."

"Hickey, you stay in touch with any insane criminals you've busted?"
"Mmmmmm...five."

"Borchert Borchert, loved computers more than women's butts or hooters."
"I am now going to pick one of these vending machines at random and check to see if I can tip it over by rocking it so it will crush me to death. Six people die every year in this kind of accident. Five of which are insurance-inspectors like myself. So I take this...Very. Seriously."

On that big list of tasks the gang was accomplishing at the beginning (and yes, I'd love to see that exorcism in the gymnasium) was, "Post 'No Intercourse' signs inside library," which was an amusing bit of foreshadowing. I loved how they had numbered their favorite sex-styles.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"...FOUR THOUSAND GALLONS of liquefied horse-meat."

Just rewatched this one last night, and noticed something:

Abed, Annie, and Dean are tooooootally coked-out in that treasure-announcement scene. When they open the treasure scroll, they all inadvertently inhale a rising dust; Greendale Treasure = Cocaine? Perhaps what invalidates the Subway sale?

(EW printed a review of Thursday's finale in the latest issue, and say it's magnificent.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"WAITWAITWAIT -- the sparks may be spelling out the next clue!"

"Sorry...I...lose track of how big I'm getting."

Chris Elliott coming at them like a horror-movie monster, and Jeff pushing him to the floor, really easily/quickly made me laugh hard for some reason. Apparently, a lot of people thought it was Marc Maron. He had to point out several times on Twitter last night that it wasn't him.

"What the hell's your penis look like?""Obviously, a cluster of buildings, so let's all have a big laugh at the freak."

(Also: Basketball cards with white people on them.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Had to add:

I think it really helps that Harmon has another outlet, Rick & Morty, where he can lay out his darker side, which avoided some of the rabbit-holing of Season Three. With a little more time to think through some of his story arcs -- knowing that the show is coming to an end -- I think he could make a really cool sixth season.

The best Chang was Señor Chang, and Vent-Dwelling Chang was pretty great while it lasted...but School Board Chang seems just about right; the right ratio of petty authority/mental instability for a workable Chang.

And how awesome would it be for Chris Elliott to become a regular in a sixth season? Russell Borchert returns to teaching at Greendale...an IT teacher from the '70s, lacking a working knowledge of the past 35 years of technology? That's just too perfect for Greendale.

NBC, please, oh god, please give us that sixth season.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
tumblr_n47byrN9YW1qcytrro1_500.gif

tumblr_n47byrN9YW1qcytrro2_500.gif

tumblr_n47byrN9YW1qcytrro3_500.gif

tumblr_n47byrN9YW1qcytrro4_500.gif

tumblr_n47byrN9YW1qcytrro5_500.gif

tumblr_n47byrN9YW1qcytrro6_500.gif

tumblr_n47byrN9YW1qcytrro7_500.gif

tumblr_n47byrN9YW1qcytrro8_500.gif

tumblr_n47byrN9YW1qcytrro9_500.gif

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I agree with the gist of what you guys are saying, but if you're not watching Hannibal (which was renewed today) you're missing out, in my opinion.

This leaves me with just Parks & Rec and Hannibal from NBC.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
NBC Shows good sense in renewing the brilliant Hannibal, then become total wankers by canceling Community. Ugh!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I did hear that Hannibal is good and I meant to check it out but I never got around to it.
Hannibal is extremely different from most network TV. It's really creepy at times and hard to follow, but well worth the effort. Glad they're keeping it another season.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

From what I've read, Community's contracts with Hulu and Comedy Central would likely prevent either of them from ever picking it up for a sixth season.

Putting aside the "low ratings" excuse that NBC will likely use, I almost can't help but think that this cancellation is solely based out of spite. (Then again, associating the terms "low ratings" with "NBC" is like associating "wet" with "water.")

I fully expect a flood of Alison Brie news to come as she's bombarded with further opportunities to remain in my life. Either pop-culturally or -- you know -- really.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Dan Harmon responded to the cancellation this past weekend on the Harmontown podcast:
We all know what happened yesterday; we all got drunk. I was in a place of grief…I was on my way to LAX, and somebody from Sony called me. Listen, the fans of that show have more reason to be upset than I do. I can go create another show. And also, I got paid. The people that are most devastated are people that put unpaid labor into the show. Like, "I’m hash-tagging this, I’m getting a tattoo of this, I love this show," they didn’t get compensated for it. They had a relationship with the show.
Variety reporting that Netflix is not likely to pick the show up for a sixth season:http://www.variety.com/2014/tv/news/netflix-community-canceled-1201177833/Netflix was confident in doing a new season of Arrested Development because they already had the first three seasons available online, and developed a new fan-base through the streaming of those seasons. Community isn't available on Netflix in the U.S., so I don't see them taking that same gamble with this show.

The streaming rights to Community belong to Hulu, so that means that Netflix or Amazon Prime can’t touch the old (already aired, pre-cancellation) episodes until the contract with Hulu is up. No old episodes = no new episodes.

(Apparently, it will be cheaper for NBC to develop a new show -- only to see it horrifically slaughtered by TNF -- than it will be to pay for this show, which will retain some viewers, and yet this actually makes weird financial sense, the way contracts for series TV are structured.)At least we got four great seasons and a terrific, Jim Rash-penned "gas leak" episode.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Ironically the Community ratings were better than Parks and Rec at the end, but the 5th season contract expirations are often problematic, and usually only worth the effort if you foresee going well beyond season 6

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks