What's new

Community - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Season Five has officially commenced shooting today -- figured it's time for a new thread.

From outside the soundstages, the new sign that just went up:

community_zps439431ce.jpg

Adam Gregorich already posted this video in the Season Four thread, but I think it deserves to be carried over, for Dan Harmon's thoughts going into production on this new run of episodes:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Andy Bobrow tweeted this pic from the first cast/crew table-read of the season:

community2_zps56f1387d.jpg

@abobrow (Andy Bobrow)
Two hours until 1st table read. Sorry I had to blur some important people to get rid of spoilers on the back wall.

Also, Harmon posted this awesome .GIF montage of the study room table on his blog...brings back fond memories of Communitys of the past:

http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/58202295427/community-meme-2-objects-1-the-study-table

(There's some other really good ones there, too, including a hysterical John Oliver-montage.)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I'm really looking forward to its return. And I'm interested to see if there is a definite difference in the show between last years run and this years. Does Dan Harmon make a difference in the quality of the show?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
spshultz said:
Does Dan Harmon make a difference in the quality of the show?
I rewatched the third season over the summer and if I was to compare it to the fourth year, there is a difference. I wouldn't say that it's as pronounced as some fans make it out to be but Harmon's comedic abilities are unique to him. Also, it's worth nothing that when he was canned, some of the writers went too so that couldn't have helped the show either. I'm sure I said a bunch of times last year but I think the cast is somewhat undervalued because they bring something great to the show as well and that has carried weaker Harmon or Harmon-less episodes.

Oddly, I may be more worried about Donald Glover's exit than I was about Dan Harmon's.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
From Deadline:

Nathan Fillion to guest-star in Season 5.

He'll be playing Bob Waite, Greendale's "politically-savvy head custodian, who’s not afraid to get his hands dirty, but is smart enough to wear rubber gloves." Bob will be pitted against Alison Brie and Jonathan Banks's characters during the course of the episodes.

(I can't see Harmon resist having Abed make some "Firefly"-references at some point.)

Banks, Oliver, Goggins, Corddry, and now Fillion. Man...if this is going to be the actual last season of Community, they sure are trying to make it epic.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Looks like Levar Burton is back again in a single episode which will probably be one of the ones that Donald's in. I'm really looking forward to this new season. And I'm really hoping for "6 seasons and a movie".

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
joshEH said:
"...Spit-roast...??"

"SPIT-ROAST!!!"

And knowing how much of a filthy mind Brie has, she'd probably go for it, too.

Is it sad that I would watch that? I mean, it would be classy. I would be in a dark corner of the room in a high, wing-backed chair, smoking a cigar while sipping brandy, dressed like Pierce's dad.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I usually hate to comment on celebrities' private life but it seems like that guy is going through some serious problems. And if he was let of his contract at Community because of personal problems, it must be really serious. Best of luck, Donald.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Watch it just be a viral marketing-stunt for Marriott. "When it comes to pouring out your heart and soul, nothing beats Marriott stationery!"
In all seriousness, though, it just seems sincere. He's feeling the pressure that's been placed on him at an early age. People expect the fucking world from him, and it's probably how one deals with it.

That erratic, stream-of-consciousness type of writing, the very personal things he wrote about, and the fact that he put it all on public display screams "cry for help" to me. I've seen that sort of thought-processing from people before, who lived under a great deal of fear that the world was about to cave in on them all at once.

That was a lot of personal stuff spewed out into the public space. Sure, I've seen friends do drunken midnight confessionals on Twitter/FB/g+ here and there, and asked them if they want to talk (or outright called them on their cells).

Whatever that is, is unusual for a celeb to throw out into the wild...so yeah, hope his network of friends (and coworkers) reach out to him, and see if the guy is okay.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Hooray, the Community Return Date announcement! Also known as, "The Day When NBC Cancels a Bunch of Other Shows and Has to Call Community Back Early." With every crummy show that dies, Community gets stronger, and its chances of renewal improve.

The bigger question:

Can Community, Parks & Rec, and SNL double-dips really support the one-time "Must See TV" block on NBC Thursday any more? This is a TON of pressure for niche shows that have never done super-well in the ratings. Community *may* get a bump, though, since it's been airing reruns on Comedy Central. Certain shows, traditionally, have gotten bumps from that in the past.

When NBC aired last night's "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" on Com Central, he really blew up in the overnights. When they started airing It's Always Sunny..., that show's audience hugely expanded. I don't think Community is coming along when Comedy Central is at its strongest (with no Chappelle's Show-sized hit to draw viewers any more), but it could possibly have found more fans, by now.

But MAN, the ratings on NBC have been absolutely dreadful. Word to the wise, don't look them up. Ignore Zap2It, TVbytheNumbers, HitFix, and all that if you at all like Parks & Rec. It is...ugly. If it weren't for NBC shooting for syndication, that show would be gone.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Can Community, Parks & Rec, and SNL double-dips really support the one-time "Must See TV" block on NBC Thursday any more?
Absolutely not. :) And at the same time, Community and especially Parks And Recreation are the consistently best shows that NBC has had on since Seinfeld but quality doesn't always equal ratings. My hope is that Parks And Rec can do slightly better against whatever CBS runs at 8:30 than it's doing against The Big Bang Theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks