What's new

Community - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
joshEH said:
"Oh, here we go! 'Love isn't a game,' say the guys that always win. And now, you want to go pull a Dane Cook in one of those three movies he was in about Dane Cook getting laid by accident. Only, it's not a Dane Cook movie, Jeff, because this time, someone's watching. Me. Your friend. British Jason Biggs."
That right there is some stellar comedic writing. Seriously, this episode ought to be a submitted for the writing Emmy.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Agreed. My wife and I are were practically throwing roses at the TV after Oliver nailed that one.

I kept expecting the Chang-subplot to turn into some sort of performance piece, where both the janitor and audience were messing with an unwitting participant. Glad they left it ambiguous, and Chang remains just as nuts.

Cue "Midnight, The Stars, and You." The full pic:

voxnjPc.jpg

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
That's Professor Pat Isaakson down all the way to the right, he's in charge of Admissions and Women's Studies.Sitting down in the front is Ryan Ridley, who's a new writer on the show this year but an old Channel 101 guy. He was Harmon's co-creator on his last Channel 101 series before starting Community "Water and Power"

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"All Fives were reduced to One-ness in the Great Purge of About Two Minutes Ago."

"Is it just me, or are more people wearing grey? I feel like I'm in a commercial, and someone's about to hand me a Starburst."

Mitch Hurwitz totally stole this episode. Hunh...the guy who created Arrested Development actually is a really funny person in real life. Who knew? (He makes for a really good recurring Harmontown guest. Hurwitz, Greg Proops, and especially Kumail Nanjiani are the guests I'm always happy to see turn up in the episode descriptions.)

It was kind of off on a structural level, and the Jeff/Shirley plot never made much of an impact, but the concept was brilliant and so much fun. This was the first episode of Community where I really missed Troy, not as a plot-point, but simply missed seeing how Troy would react to a scenario like this one.

(And hey...Starburns still has another two days on the rental.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"I'm a Psych major -- words are my weapons!""I'm a security guard -- weapons are MY weapons.""NOOOOOO!!! ...it comes *down*?? "

I liked this episode like a Two likes apples.

Jeff's standup-bit worked so well because it was a nice winking, wry deconstruction of lazy standup comics. And Joel just nailed the delivery, making it both funny and winkingly-not-funny at the same time -- the "apple" catchline, the broad generalizations, the random censored "shit" thrown in there. It reminded me of Doug Benson's segue-bit, or Andy Daly's comedian who doesn't say anything.

I also liked it because it fit in with its major theme of wanting that feeling of acceptance. It's exactly how Buzzfeed operates. His jokes weren't witty, but by bringing up observations that were vague enough, people laughed simply from recognition. It made them feel uneasily warm in a time when they were constantly being judged.

(I'm never not amused that literally anything can cause the apocalypse at Greendale. Like...you'd think I'd start to get a little sick of it, but nope.)

Fives have lives. Fours have chores. Ones don't get a rhyme, because they're garbage.

Tranquility is advancement. A happy Three is a future Four.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I can definitely see why 911 has Greendale blocked, now.And by God, once it felt like I was watching a Greendale version of Brave New World's caste system, with the Fives in white robes doing eerie dancing with Minbari crystals, I started perversely loving it.(Couldn't believe how packed this episode was with awesome guests. Tim and Eric, Hurwitz, Steve Agee...and Posehn! Man, this season's walk-ons.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Door's busted. Landlord's in jail, and money's tight."

"And screw you -- what did *I* have to do with Mom? I was thirteen."

First off, I've never gotten around to posting my, "What Fictional Game Do You Most Want to Play Before You Die?" answer. I will amend that now: I want to play "Pile of Bullets."

(I don't know who stole this episode more -- Dungeon Master Spencer, or Vince Gilligan. But at least Vince got to score with Gina Gershon as his TV-wife.)

And the Dean's Payday-rap...may be the greatest thing Community has ever done. His embarrassment was what made it work. The absolute horror in his voice made it so, so funny. He sounded like the protagonist in a Lovecraft story who just stumbled over the wrong cult.

Is there anything this show operating at the top of its game can't do? The only thing I can think of is, win awards. Also, get good ratings. Too bad, NBC.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
TravisR said:
It must be hard for the other actors to not crack up while watching him but Jim Rash deserves a medal for making it through the dialogue he's given.
I want to see the blooper reel for that moment so badly -- right at the end of that shot, Jacobs gives an "OMG" look off-camera that seems like a 100% Gillian Jacobs-reaction, rather than a Britta-reaction.

I swear to God she was breaking.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Jim Rash absolutely nailed that intro rap!
And Gillian's reaction to it was priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks