What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk - July 2017 (Shot in 70mm) (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Damn, not on the list of 70mm or laser screenings. The local IMAX theater was just remodeled, and I was hoping they did not only put in recliners, I was hoping they also upgraded the projection and sound too. They just reopened, but i had no interest in Transformers. They should've added showings for Guardians to make up for being closed. But I'm being selfish.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Tracking suggest a $40 million opening weekend.

I hope they can hit their target $$. I predict lower 20's.

As good as this one looks, I sure haven't seen it pushed much on TV or similar outlets. I fear this will have a more limited fanbase, but who knows, it could be a sleeper hit. It's got tough competition for sure. Even with the older movies from earlier in the summer....Apes, Spidey,

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
[QUOTE="Alf S, post: 4504297, member: 277985"

As good as this one looks, I sure haven't seen it pushed much on TV or similar outlets. [/QUOTE]

Really? I see ads for this all of the time. My wife has been getting annoyed because I keep saying that's the movie I'm waiting for every time the ad comes on.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw one of the trailers before Spider-Man tonight and when it started, the guy next to me (appeared to be about 30, with a girlfriend who was drinking up everything he had to say) blurted out, "I hate this movie and it's not even out yet. It's so self-important. It's not like it was a big deal, I don't see why they need to make a movie out of it." The girlfriend of course agreed.

I bit my tongue but wow. I admit my historical knowledge of Dunkirk is about enough to fill a paragraph, but I know enough not to think that! First I wanted to slap the guy, and then I wanted to "clockwork orange" him to a seat in an IMAX screening and ask him afterwards if he still thought it wasn't a big deal.

Damn, I feel better now that I got that out! (Bought my IMAX 15/70 tickets for opening night, can't wait!)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
the guy next to me (appeared to be about 30, with a girlfriend who was drinking up everything he had to say) blurted out, "I hate this movie and it's not even out yet. It's so self-important. It's not like it was a big deal, I don't see why they need to make a movie out of it."

People are stupid.
no.gif

:D

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
The trick will be to try to convince the millennial crowd (and others) this is a "must see in theaters" summer movie. To me this would have been better suited as a fall movie after all the big summer blockbusters move on out. Seems this movie will be too much of a downer for most folks to opt to go to this summer. Not to mention the subject matter is pretty much foreign to most folks I'm pretty sure.

But, like I said earlier, it could be a summer sleeper hit. Hard to tell.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The trick will be to try to convince the millennial crowd (and others) this is a "must see in theaters" summer movie. To me this would have been better suited as a fall movie after all the big summer blockbusters move on out. Seems this movie will be too much of a downer for most folks to opt to go to this summer. Not to mention the subject matter is pretty much foreign to most folks I'm pretty sure.

But, like I said earlier, it could be a summer sleeper hit. Hard to tell.

I don't think the trailers are doing a very good job. I generally like war films and period pieces, but I've seen quite a few trailers and don't find them particularly enticing. Still undecided whether to see this or not until I hear some reviews.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This movie isn't made for teens. They aren't going to see it (even with that boy band guy) and Warners should just focus on making and marketing a movie to adults. For what it's worth, I don't think this movie is going to make a ton of movie but once everything gets factored in, I don't think it's going to be a money loser either.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm definitely seeing this on 70MM but I agree the trailers have been disappointing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't think the trailers are doing a very good job. I generally like war films and period pieces, but I've seen quite a few trailers and don't find them particularly enticing. Still undecided whether to see this or not until I hear some reviews.

Did you see it in IMAX? The IMAX extended scene is the most unnerving heart pounding I have ever had, and I generally don't get uncomfortable in the theater. The pacing tied to the sound is WRENCHING.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Did you see it in IMAX? The IMAX extended scene is the most unnerving heart pounding I have ever had, and I generally don't get uncomfortable in the theater. The pacing tied to the sound is WRENCHING.
No, there are no IMAX screens within 150 miles. I've just seen the trailers on TV.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, there are no IMAX screens within 150 miles. I've just seen the trailers on TV.

I can understand being disappointed with the trailer then. I'd wait for Dunkirk on a quality HT rather than seeing it in a mediocre shoe box cinema.

You can't get me out of the house for anything less than IMAX or Dolby Cinema these days, or a very special thing I GOTTA see, like Ex Machina.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I've seen the IMAX trailers. They look and sound tremendous but the trailer itself is disappointing I thought. I've seen all the trailers in theaters and they just seem underwhelming. They should have blown me away and they didn't.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to skip this movie. Other than Christopher Nolan's impressive Batman trilogy I have never been a fan of his other films. I thought 'Interstellar' was just OK, and I hated 'Inception'.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm going to skip this movie. Other than Christopher Nolan's impressive Batman trilogy I have never been a fan of his other films. I thought 'Interstellar' was just OK, and I hated 'Inception'.
What about the subject matter? I'm going more for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks