What's new

Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk - July 2017 (Shot in 70mm) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I find it somewhat bizarre to hear people saying that it can't be a good war more, or can't be realistic, or can't be true to the events as they happened, because it's PG-13. And yet, we didn't even have MPAA ratings until 1968, but I can think of plenty of classic war movies made before 1968 that were critical and commercial successes and are remembered fondly by film fans today.

Perhaps the Saving Private Ryan/Hacksaw Ridge style of showing every bit of blood spatter and dismemberment is what people were hoping for, but that's not as important to me as the story. I think it is completely possible for Christopher Nolan to tell this story without using Saving Private Ryan level of violence.

One thing I find interesting is reading people talking about the high budget leading to a need to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, therefore the movie will be PG-13 whether or not it should be, and that even being willing to work within those limitations is heresy - not my opinion, but others have stated as much. As if limitations are bad. A director I like, Nicholas Meyer, has often said "Art thrives on limitations." The rating isn't the only limitation Nolan will face. Since Nolan prefers to have his films show on IMAX 15/70 film, he's now limited in running time. The IMAX film platters can't hold more than 165 minutes (2 hrs and 45 minutes), and since that's his preferred format, the film won't be able to be any longer than that. Does that mean it's doomed before it's started? I don't think so.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the Saving Private Ryan/Hacksaw Ridge style of showing every bit of blood spatter and dismemberment is what people were hoping for, but that's not as important to me as the story. I think it is completely possible for Christopher Nolan to tell this story without using Saving Private Ryan level of violence.
And as long there isn't blood or body parts flying everywhere, all violence is a PG-13 today.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
This is a travesty! Pearl Harbor was PG-13 and look how that turned out.

Yeah, I'm still expecting this to be great.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
It's all about selling the film to the widest audiences possible. However in this day and age, war films should show the horror as it really was. Do we really need another 'watered down' war film like THE LONGEST DAY for example.The Russian masterpiece COME AND SEE managed to portray war as it really was without actually showing you the horror. Maybe DUNKIRK will do just that?

preymant

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Reymant
Sorry if this is off topic this is my first post ever. Is Dunkirk going to be released in 3D? Reason I ask is it appears Nolan had a 2D to 3D conversion patent granted recently.

http://patents.justia.com/patent/9532027

I know he hasn't been a fan of 3D to date but maybe he finally figured out how to do it well?

-PM

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I seriously doubt Dunkirk will be in 3D. We would have heard it by now. Plus welcome to the forum. ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At present time, Dunkirk is announced for 2D only in IMAX 15/70, 70mm, 35mm and digital formats.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
It looks soo good. I love his timing with the soundtrack, that trailers starts ticking at the right time and I always go back to Interstellar and The Dark Knight.

Our theaters suck, so I will be looking forward to a nice UHD release.

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
This will be a good movie. I remember watching the beach scene in a movie about Normandy and D Day and seeing the amphibious landing boats about a quarter mile off shore bringing the soldiers to the beach...nothing but bombs exploding in the water and on the beach...certain death awaits. Guys were getting sick and throwing up as they approached...knowing what lies ahead in one or two more minutes if they make it that far. Talk about gloom and doom...geez. These war movies are beyond words and Nolan's will be a sell out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think there's a rumor/assumption that could happen based on Interstellar, but I don't think anything's been officially announced yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks