What's new

Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk - July 2017 (Shot in 70mm) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Unlike QT's latest, this seems like a story that will take full advantage of the large format. The evacuation of Dunkirk is one of those great improbable stories on which history pivots. I think the last time a movie was devoted to it in full was the 1958 film with John Mills, Richard Attenborough and Bernard Lee.

In May 1940, France was on the verge of falling to the Germans, and British forces were trapped in the northern part of the country, completely cut off from escape. They retreated to Dunkirk, the nearest option with adequate port facilities. Over eight days, a makeshift fleet of over 800 boats of all sorts evacuated well over 300,000 British troops across the English Channel. Had history taken the more probable course, it is very unlikely the United Kingdom would have been able to hold out until the United States entered the war at the tail end of the following year.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Adam Lenhardt said:
Unlike QT's latest, this seems like a story that will take full advantage of the large format. The evacuation of Dunkirk is one of those great improbable stories on which history pivots. I think the last time a movie was devoted to it in full was the 1958 film with John Mills, Richard Attenborough and Bernard Lee.

In May 1940, France was on the verge of falling to the Germans, and British forces were trapped in the northern part of the country, completely cut off from escape. They retreated to Dunkirk, the nearest option with adequate port facilities. Over eight days, a makeshift fleet of over 800 boats of all sorts evacuated well over 300,000 British troops across the English Channel. Had history taken the more probable course, it is very unlikely the United Kingdom would have been able to hold out until the United States entered the war at the tail end of the following year.

A pivotal moment in UK and world history and followed by the Battle of Britain.

Really looking forward to this. For me Chris Nolan is the finest film-maker of his generation. I know the limitations of shooting a full feature in IMAX and it is great to know that he will also be using 70mm as well. I thought he should have shot the Dark Knight trilogy in 70mm/IMAX to give a more immersive movie experience.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It truly is a great story.

Can history be a SPOILER?

It was a successful evacuation basically because the Germans halted their advance and let them all be evacuated.

From Wikipedia:

In one of the most widely-debated decisions of the war, the Germans halted their advance on Dunkirk. Contrary to popular belief, what became known as "the Halt Order" did not originate with Adolf Hitler. Gerd von Rundstedt and Günther von Kluge suggested that the German forces around the Dunkirk pocket should cease their advance on the port and consolidate, to avoid an Allied break. Hitler sanctioned the order on 24 May with the support of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW). The army was to halt for three days, giving the Allies time to organise the Dunkirk evacuation and build a defensive line. Despite the Allies' gloomy estimates of the situation, with Britain discussing a conditional surrender to Germany, in the end over 330,000 Allied troops were rescued.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Colin Jacobson said:
Ehh, not in my opinion,. I think "Mrs. Miniver" existed as a piece of propaganda to boost wartime morale - it's not much of a movie:

http://www.dvdmg.com/mrsminiverbr.shtml

One assumes Nolan will give us something more dynamic than that snoozer! :)
While I can understand not liking the movie, but I don't agree with your comment and consider it hyperbole.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Robert Crawford said:
While I can understand not liking the movie, but I don't agree with your comment and consider it hyperbole.
+1....that "not much of a movie" only won 6 Oscars including Best Picture. While I'm sure it could be enhanced with some CGI and a few F-bombs, I like it just as it is. One of William Wyler's best films.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
atfree said:
...I like it just as it is. One of William Wyler's best films.

Same here. The scene in the bomb shelter still gets me on edge, even after having seen the film countless times.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Bob Cashill said:
Dunkirk (58) is pretty good as I recall.
It is by my memory but its been over 30 years since I saw it last on the ABC Sunday Night Movie in the late 60's or early 70's. I guess I've missed showings but it doesn't seem to appear on TCM much, if ever, and only has a UK DVD release. Has it fallen into the public domain?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:

You can disagree with someone and not accuse them of "hyperbole". To frequently call alternate opinions "hyperbole" seems like... well, hyperbole...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
atfree said:
+1....that "not much of a movie" only won 6 Oscars including Best Picture. While I'm sure it could be enhanced with some CGI and a few F-bombs, I like it just as it is. One of William Wyler's best films.

Yes, I didn't like it because it didn't have CG or profanity. :rolleyes:

That seems to a go-to insult when someone doesn't like an old movie: that person must only like movies with whiz-bang visual effects, profanity, graphic sex, violence, whatever.

I think it's a boring, one-dimensional movie. Does winning Oscars actually prove anything? Are you going to claim that every Oscar winner is a great film?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks