What's new

Captain Marvel (2019) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Isn't Mendelsohn Australian? If so, perhaps, he was having fun with the accent, knowing it would bother some people and become a conversation piece.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Mendelsohn Australian? If so, perhaps, he was having fun with the accent, knowing it would bother some people and become a conversation piece.

Yes, he is Australian. His early Australian roles showed his potential (if interested, check out The Year My Voice Broke (1987)), then his career meandered for a while... then he showed up in Vertical Limit (2000)! It's great to see him carve out a respected career in Hollywood.

My main thought was not so much about his Australian accent being used for Talos (but if that's what he was going for, I expressed my thought on how "Aussie" it was :)), but more along the lines of: what is a Skrull supposed to sound like?

Like you said, maybe Mendelsohn achieved his aim...to create conversation surrounding Captain Marvel :emoji_clap:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
IMO, he was having fun with the accent and I think most people enjoyed it.

Oh, I agree! Don't get me wrong, I loved his take on Talos. It was such a breath of fresh air and Mendelsohn brought a lot of personality to the character.

Given we don't really know what a Skrull accent is supposed to be, any accent could have worked. My comment was my opinion on how "Australian" Mendelsohn's intended accent was, and not its usage in the film.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'll add my criticism here of the accent... but from a more technical viewpoint (very much IMO, of course, as someone who grew up in Australia). If an Australian accent was what Mendelsohn was going for, I thought it wasn't Australian enough! :D Or maybe it's more of a regional Aussie accent that I'm not used to...hmmm... maybe I've been away too long. ;)

Out of curiosity, what accent were you expecting from a Skrull?

I'm not sure, but this one didn't work for me at all. Every time the character spoke it threw me out of a movie that I was having a hard time liking anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks