Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

Captain Marvel UHD Review
CaptMarvel_feat-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review, Todd!

I find it mind-boggling that they'd shoot the film using 8k and 6k cameras and then going through post-production at 2k. A few years ago, before 4K really look off in the home environment, I could have understood it. But in 2019, it feels like a staggering lack of foresight. Black Panther was shot at 3.4K but still went through post in 4k. I'm assuming that Infinity War and Endgame also went through post in 4K, to make the best possible impression in IMAX.

I continue to be grateful that Marvel Studios records audio commentaries for all of its releases. And I continue to frustrated that they don't include them on the UHD release.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I continue to be grateful that Marvel Studios records audio commentaries for all of its releases.

Not all. Not Homecoming, which I remember because I really wanted one and it wasn't there.

(But the rest of your point stands.)

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I find it mind-boggling that they'd shoot the film using 8k and 6k cameras and then going through post-production at 2k. A few years ago, before 4K really look off in the home environment, I could have understood it. But in 2019, it feels like a staggering lack of foresight.

8K/6K downscaled to finish on 2K, then artifically upscaled to 4K? Mind-boggling indeed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't understand some of these choices Disney is making with their 4K/UHD releases. Why are they allowing such releases to be lacking with the audio levels? What is the motivation for doing this as they have to know about the criticisms regarding their Dolby Atmos releases on physical media? Also, what is behind their choices regarding the post-production downscale to 2K? Is it cheaper to do so which is probably the reason for down scaling the video??? Also, I don't understand the reasoning behind their Dolby Atmos tracks lacking oomph.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't understand some of these choices Disney is making with their 4K/UHD releases. Why are they allowing such releases to be lacking with the audio levels? What is the motivation for doing this as they have to know about the criticisms regarding their Dolby Atmos releases on physical media? Also, what is behind their choices regarding the post-production downscale to 2K? Is it cheaper to do so which is probably the reason for down scaling the video, but I don't understand the issue with their Dolby Atmos tracks.

Frankly, I don't understand EITHER issue. I can't imagine that there's much cost involved in releasing true 4K material for their Marvel stuff, and the Atmos issue is technical in nature with no cost involved. Disney/Marvel should be pushing the envelope technically with their 4K releases, but no.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Frankly, I don't understand EITHER issue. I can't imagine that there's much cost involved in releasing true 4K material for their Marvel stuff, and the Atmos issue is technical in nature with no cost involved. Disney/Marvel should be pushing the envelope technically with their 4K releases, but no.
I'm with you Doug. I just don't understand it! With their upcoming streaming service, they need to be the leader in pushing their 4K releases whether on disc or streaming.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It all comes down to cost. Rendering effects, especially in effects heavy films like the last two Avengers, would have been prohibitive.
Not just cost, but time. It takes a lot longer to process and render video at 4K, and with release dates for these films set in stone, they might not be able to hit those dates.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Not trying to be a wise guy ( ok, maybe a bit...) but exactly how many animal comic reliefs have there been in superhero films besides Goose ?

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Watched it yesterday and had to boost the levels 4 db from my usual setting (and could have gone a bit more), and I agree - the sub levels were wimpy overall compared to other action features.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Watched it yesterday and had to boost the levels 4 db from my usual setting (and could have gone a bit more), and I agree - the sub levels were wimpy overall compared to other action features.

Man, I didn't hear that at all. I kept "CM" at my normal levels and thought bass seemed strong!

I've had to boost the volume with other Disney movies but not this one - if I'd cranked the volume, it would've knocked down the walls!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks