What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Although largely ignored by moviegoers, The Marvels is an entertaining popcorn flick.

The Marvels (2023)

Released: 10 Nov 2023
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 105 min

Director: Nia DaCosta
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Cast: Brie Larson, Teyonah Parris, Iman Vellani
Writer(s): Nia DaCosta, Megan McDonnell, Elissa Karasik

Plot: Carol Danvers gets her powers entangled with those of Kamala Khan and Monica Rambeau, forcing them to work together to save the universe.

IMDB rating: 5.7
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1
Audio: Dolby Atmos, English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, English Descriptive...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
It's somewhat absurd when the biggest complaint about a comic book superhero movie is that the villain was a comic book supervillain and an alien planet was surprisingly alien. I enjoyed the movie, the villain, the musical planet and I particularly liked the involuntary-teleporting fight scene which is a very fresh take on a superhero battle scene.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I enjoyed the movie and didn't think it had earned the vitriol that was directed its way. It was nice to have a breezy, fun film that didn't take itself too seriously and didn't overstay its welcome.

My only nitpicks with it were that I wished the stakes had been lower - the dilemma of the three superheroes having their powers intertwined and needing to figure out how to get back to normal I thought was enough of an engine to drive the story. I don't think the film needed a genocidal villain bent on destroying planets - the stakes were out of proportion to what was most enjoyable about the film, the breezy charisma the three leads shared.

It's amazing how in a movie that's only 90 minutes, it still wound up funneling into a generic CGI battle with no sense of weight that had me checking out completely. Not every comic book issue ended with the last third being violence on top of violence and it would be nice to see that reflected in some of these films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks